Where to buy laptop batteries and chargers?

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Mom has an older Gateway laptop that's killed two batteries. We've managed to lose the charger that came with it, and then we had one we ordered from Mundo Corp that came actually ended up coming apart.

As best as I can tell, I think the model number would have to be 200ARC. From what I've seen, it seems to be a departure from the norm with Gateway as far as batteries and charger tips are concerned. I bought a travel charger for it, but none of the tips worked on it.

So, any suggestions as to where would be a good place to buy a new battery and charger for it?

Thanks!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2008
    Interesting that you've had a good experience with them.

The battery we got from them died faster than the one that came with the laptop did. But then, I've not been using the laptop myself, so I can't attest to how it's been charged and left plugged in, etc.

However, I got a very sour taste for the company based on the charger we got from them. The metal tip that actually goes into the back of the laptop pulled right out of the rubber cord!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    I used these guys for a Dell a/c adapter. It was obviously refurbished and had been used before, but it worked, and still does.

http://www.priorityelectronics.com/laptopacadapter/gatewayacadapter-3.htm

I've never ordered a laptop battery (I just leave them dead when they fail, and take the extra weight off the laptop), but I have ordered a cell phone battery from batteries4less, or some such website: it was a total waste of money, and failed almost completely within months (wouldn't remain charged more than 24 hours). After 18 months, the replacement battery was not even as good as the 3+ year old original battery it was supposed to replace.

YMMV.
    Alea jacta est!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Have bought three AC bricks and a battery from these guys. Cheap, quick, and the products are above what you would expect for the price. All of the bricks are still working, and the battery lasted longer (year) than the one shipped with the laptop(6 months).
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwholesalelaptopnparts
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited January 2008
    Why not buy another battery and charger from Gateway?
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited January 2008
    nms wrote: »
    Why not buy another battery and charger from Gateway?

Gateway often quits selling batteries and chargers for computers that are more than a couple years old.

Back on topic....
    My charger burned out while I was on the road about a year ago, and I got one from these guys - http://www.laptoptravel.com/Home.aspx

Pretty good customer service and had no problems shipping it to me overnight. Never bought any batteries from them. The battery in my M675 has had a dead cell for a couple years. I never use the beast except on a desk, so I never replaced the battery.

No issues with the charger I bought from those guys.

Here is the Search reults on that site for the 200ARC - http://www.laptoptravel.com/Search.aspx?SearchStr=200ARC. 3 items - Charger, Battery & Air / Auto Adapter
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2008
    If you are pretty decently handy you might like to check out the video on this page.

I'm about to do the same with an old Compaq laptop. By my calculations it's gonna save me at least $50.

EDIT: BTW...If you decide to go this route, All Battery has an eBay store that is slightly less expensive than ordering directly from their website. I've ordered a number of times from them and have never had any issues.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2008
    Sweet, thanks for all the recommendations, fellas. We'll sort through them and pick something out tomorrow, I guess.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2008
    cmy330go wrote: »
    If you are pretty decently handy you might like to check out the video on this page.

I'm about to do the same with an old Compaq laptop. By my calculations it's gonna save me at least $50.
    That page won't load right now and I'm fixing to go to bed, but I'll try it again tomorrow.

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2008
    You got to it before I fixed the link. It's good now.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,