new problem w/ SDA 1A

Options
b2sc
b2sc Posts: 7
edited November 2002 in Troubleshooting
I don't know what happened but I noticed the stereo tweeters on both my L and R SDAs weren't working today. All other drivers including the SDA tweets were working fine.

Checking the fuses, the L speakers top fuse was open (blown) so I replaced it. All drivers in the left speaker are now working but the stereo tweeter in the R speaker is still out. I pulled the tweeter and it checks out okay on a DVM.

My interconnect cable has given me trouble being intermittent before but I don't think that is the problem this time (Can I purchase a new pin-blade interconnect?)

Please help. I was demoing my new listening room and the Polks powered by an Adcom 555 was actually sounding better than B&Ws powered by a Threshold amp. Unfortunbately, I wasn't able to hear the conclusion...
Post edited by b2sc on

Comments

• b2sc
    b2sc Posts: 7
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I had intented to disassemble the speaker this morning to locate the problem and luckily it was the first thing I had looked at.

Upon removing the PR to get at the crossover, sure enough one of the lugs had separated from the spade connector on the upper x-over module. Whew.

We're rocking once again.
  • Xzuluns
    Xzuluns Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Just for Grins, swap the tweeters from left and right and see if the suspect tweeter comes to life. It will only take a few minutes and then you'l know for sure if the tweeter is the problem or something else. If the tweeter that worked, stops working then you have isolated the problem to the internal connections in the speaker itself. You didn't say if you are Bi-Amping. If you are then your connection to the high frequency side may not be working. I have found the best connectors for me are gold monster plugs that plug into the hole in the speaker post itself. The speaker manual is not very helpful on the 5 - way speaker connectors as it only shows you one way. My RT800I's had a small plastic cap covering the center hole which I had to pry out using a very small screw driver. I noticed a big improvement in sound when I went to the plugs. I was also 100 % easier to connect to the inputs of the receiver because they are so close together. Benifit number two is unhooking a speaker only requires pulling the plugs.
    PolkLover