GLN305 Posts: 96
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
xxxxxxxxxx
Post edited by GLN305 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited January 2008
    Sur.... u wana trade ur six 8s and ur amps for my 2 10s and my amp? :)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited January 2008
    I dug up some past posts to get an idea of what your doing with these.
    I'll toss out a question and suggestion based on what I've seen. You appear to have six eight inch drivers in a common ?sealed? chamber.
    Some short braces [since the cabinets already made] to stiffen the face and rear cabinet wall may help.
    Are the drivers all wired in parallel or series parallel to the mono amp?

A quick vario-venting test could be done...just pull one eight out of the chain... tape off the spare leads and screw a piece of scrap over the empty hole with folded batting under it with long screws to adjust how tight it's screwed to the cabinet.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    I looked and didn't see it stated. What kind of vehicle is this in? Not everything is going to sound good in every vehicle even if it is to the manufacturers specs. The vehicle plays the biggest part in what it sounds like.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited January 2008
    Port two of them..
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    There's the first problem...it's a truck! :D I have a quad cab Ram myself but never got too far into it. The main problem with trucks (even quad/extra cabs) is that the distance of the wavelength for lower bass is basically outside of the truck around the hood. Does it sound better outside of the truck? In 20+ years of car audio, that's what's typically happened in vehicles I've built. Hatchback cars, trucks, etc, have the advantage of distance away from your ears especially if they are firing backwards in a vehicle. Think about taking just 2 of those 8" woofers and loading them in the back hatch of any 1982 to 200? Camaro or Firebird. They would hammer in there! Especially 6! (done that before)
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Sure everything is in phase?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2008
    Also, you have a subsonic filter on?

Is it a factory radio? If so, do you have bose?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited January 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Sure everything is in phase?
    -Cody

x2 :)

thats a lot of subs so might want to double-check the wiring and see if any might not be wired properly which would significantly cut output as they'd be fighting each other. (sorta sounds like the prob you could be experiencing)
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2008
    You have to remember that even tho youre using 6 of them, theyre still just 8's. 8's cant hit as low with as much authority as a bigger sub can.

Either way, 6 8's should have plenty of punch in the 50-80 Hz range. Ive been using Momo subs for several years now and output is not something they lack and since its unlikely that all 6 are suffering from some kind of manufacturing defect Id say there is something wrong with the box design or the setup somehow.

And usually a sub in a too small box will actually have a little more impact as it will cause a pretty sizable response hump usually somewhere around 50 Hz. If its sounding too weak and/or flat, thats more a characteristic of too large a box.

The only thing I can suggest is to throw together a .33 ft3 sealed box and stick one sub in there at a time and give a listen. If they all play solid then you know its an issue with the box design somewhere.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2008
    8" subs aren't going to dig deep either. Very rarely do they get past the low 40's and if they do, they sound like crude 'cause the motor structure and cone is so heavy that there is no way they could ever be "musical".
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Music Joe
    edited January 2008
    I agree each needs it's own section in a sealed box design.
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • Music Joe
    edited January 2008
    wow...that's a bass-mid, time to slap a new face on the box. Sorry about the false leads :(
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    GLN305 wrote: »
    My plan, like most audiophiles is to cross the sub low, like 50 or 60 Hz meaning that I need performance below that point.

What? Nonsense! My sub is crossed over at about 80 Hz. I wouldn't want to cross it over at 50 or 60 Hz because that puts the full-range speakers too close to their peak performance at the bottom end. Besides, IIRC, sub-bass is defined as sounds between about 18 Hz and 90 Hz. Mid-range is above that and the whole "infrasound" spectrum is below that. It's difficult to get a conventional transducer into the "infrasound" range reliably but I have seen it. Usually though, the transducer ends up reproducing "infrasound" ranges due to a harmonic produced by a resonance of the transducer.

• eloplayspolo
    edited January 2008
    haha, WOAH!
    i bet ur pretty good at scrable.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    haha, WOAH!
    i bet ur pretty good at scrable.

No, I suck at that game.

And it's speeled Scrabble.

Now, Trivial Pursuit! I am unbeaten at that game! I've won that game in as little as 15 minutes too! I usually have to deliberately give wrong answers just so everyone else can enjoy the game through the perception of how "close" the game is.

This head of mine is FULL of useless stuff...you might say "trivial" stuff like teh stuff in Trivial Pursuit!

• cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited January 2008
    I had two of the momo 8's in my truck one time. They were in sealed truck boxes at .35 cubic feet and they hit clean and deep. These are some of the best sounding 8's I have heard. In my experiences in box building a box to small will deliver deeper bass response but will sacrifice some output.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited January 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    And it's speeled Scrabble.
    and it's spelled "SPELLED";)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    Well, as far as crossover point, I am just going by what Sq competitors do and how they win. My mids are crossed at 50Hz and play very cleanly to that frequency. Honestly I like my subs crossed at 60Hz or so since any higher and they draw attention to themselves most of the time and I don't want to lose the "bass up front effect".

Here's a good thread to read about crossover points:
    http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=145518

You do what you want to do. Just don't give misinformation and pass it off as something every "audiophile" does because it isn't. And thanks for the info but I understand crossover points very well. My full range speakers only go down to about 40-45 Hz and if I put them on a crossover slope of the usual 6 dB, the fall off is too rapid and I don't get enough overlap to cover the full frequency range. So I cross my sub over at 80 Hz and the full-range at 60 Hz and I have no localization problems except from the fact that you can feel the sub kicking right behind the seat.

• GLN305
    edited January 2008
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    I wasn't posting misinformantion and since you feel the need to attack me publicly, I just put you on my ignore list. If I offended you just know it wasn't meant to offend.

Heh, that's funny! :rolleyes:

• GLN305
    edited January 2008