Need some electrical help - immediately!

2»

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    tom t wrote: »
    lightman1, would you like to take a ride up to pa. i need a dedicated line installed for me amps????????????????????????????????

Wiring is really a very simple concept. Keep your head on your shoulders and the beer in the fridge, and you reduce the risk of being zapped. I did my whole house when I first moved in, except for the panel. Because upgrading the panel involves a new meter base, I'll be calling in an electrician to do that and coordinate the power shutoff.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Sorry for jumping in so late. If you located the breaker for the circuit that was giving the problem find the neutral for that circuit, and make sure it is tight. Also on the breaker remove the wire from suspect breaker after turning off the breaker. Inspect the wire. If there is a any discoloration, or frays cut an inch off, and strip about a half inch. Reinsert the wire into the breaker, and turn it back on. Feel the breaker, and make sure it isn't getting hot. It should not even be very warm. I have gone to many trouble shoot for suspected bad breakers, and it has turned out to be a loose wire on the breaker, or on the neutral(often over looked).
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Solid advice so far, Maze. I'm a licensed electrical contractor. While the mains are off, go ahead and check ALL breakers for tightness at the lugs. Just give them a little nudge should do the trick. As you load up a circuit, the wires and lugs get hot. Inverse on unloading. Hence expansion and contraction at points of contact. Take pre-cautions on using space heaters of ANY size. They are the worse things you can use on a general circuit, ie lighting and receptacles. Dedicated 20A is the way for these types of heaters.
    Again, if you're not to keen on taking a crack at it, DON'T. Better safe than sorry.
    Lightman Russ

Oops missed this one:o Well there you have it from two true electricians;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited January 2008
    tom t wrote: »
    lightman1, would you like to take a ride up to pa. i need a dedicated line installed for me amps????????????????????????????????

I charge labor and MILEAGE! When can I start?:D
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    Well, I went to Lowes and bought another dual 20A breaker for my box. I installed the wires and put it in, only to realize the opening on the breaker with the metal clamps isn't as deep as my old one. It slides in and stays but it sticks out about a 1/4" more than the other breakers do. Is this the common way they're made now, or can I still find one that has the deeper clamps like mine does?

Again, thanks for all the input. It's greatly appreciated.

What brand is your panelboard? Seimens? GE fits a Seimens, Seimens won't fit a GE.
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    I know when I went to add my stove into my GE panel, I found that the breakers for it are no longer made. I took my old breaker to a local electrical supply house (not a big-box store... they were clueless), and they knew a series that was about the right dimensions. They're a little tight, but they do fit, and they do work!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    Maze! How goes it on the breaker swap?
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2008
    Sorry for not keeping you guys posted. I got the same kind from another store and everything is working perfectly now, as far as I know!

Thanks again for all the help.
  • lightman1
    edited January 2008
    Groovy. Let us know if you need any more help.
    Lightman Russ