Fios

MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just got Verizon FIOS this past week and after spending a little time with it I can say that IMO it blows away comcast cable. The picture quality is much better and the audio is more detailed, has more impact/dynamics and better separation. And cheaper to boot with faster internet and phone service.

I am Scott and I endorse this product.
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    I've been wanting to switch for quite a while but they won't match the price/package that Comcast is offering so they won't have our business.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2008
    Same here. Comcast gives me a great deal, Verizon can't or won't match it. Verizon had two salesmen a day running through our neighborhoods here trying to convert customers. When I presented Comcast's retension department with what Verizon offered they practically gave me everything for a year.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2008
    FIOS is the future for Verizon.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2008
    I've been tempted to go this way. $99 a month for 2 years and I get internet, TV and Phone all wrapped into one package. I might just do it. Be quite a bit cheaper then what I'm paying now.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited January 2008
    Comcast just raised up there prices. I'm paying over 160.00 a month for Internet and HD for 2 rooms with Dvr service.

Verizon is installing there service all over the place but for some reason they didn't come here yet. they have it about 10 miles from me.

As soon as they install it , I will have it. I have Installed it and I feel it's much better and cheaper then comcast.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    Too funny, my dad just called me. He has a Verizon ad that came in the mail, same $99 deal plus a $200 Best Buy gift card -or- a 19" LCD TV. He's bringing over the ad tonight so I'll sign up and get the Best Buy gift card.
    If...
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2008
    We love it and will never go back to cable - NEVER I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    We're still using basic Dish (29.99 = 35 with taxes and fees), but AT&T now offer digital TV with DSL, so we might have to look at it. Charter cable here is also a lot cheaper than Comcast was where we were before (Santa Monica). I really don't know what the real advantages are of any of these: we just want the cheapest since it's already too expensive!

Sorry for the rant.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    Just got it all hooked up today, I'm almost at 16megs download and 2megs up. This is crazy fast, I love it.
    If...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2008
    Damn you Scott! We Dundalk Hillbillies are not worthy enough in Verizon's eyes....not yet anyway. A friend of mine in Timonium got it about 2 months ago and is loving life at 15/2!

~Slave to Comcast
    No excuses!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    I was so glad to give the comcast boxes back to comcast. I tell the difference in the audio for tv is worth it. The picture quality is awesome and the internet is silly fast.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Don't worry, John, you're not alone. We can't get FIOS either; we're in Fullerton. Hell, for that matter, we can't even get Comcast voice at our house!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Just got it all hooked up today, I'm almost at 16megs download and 2megs up. This is crazy fast, I love it.
    That's cable download speed in this area of the planet ... we get 5 mbps up.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    Good to know. They don't have it in my area yet but I will be on the lookout.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    My uncle has FIOS right now and it's been unreliable so far. Sometimes the modem loses its connection and needs to be powered off and on. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • daniel_paul_
    daniel_paul_ Posts: 189
    edited January 2008
    I just got Verizon FIOS this past week and after spending a little time with it I can say that IMO it blows away comcast cable. The picture quality is much better and the audio is more detailed, has more impact/dynamics and better separation. And cheaper to boot with faster internet and phone service.

I am Scott and I endorse this product.

+1 My father-in-law just got the $99 deal and the picture is much clearer on a 50" sony (dlp ?). I was actually shocked how much better it was.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2008
    strider wrote: »
    Don't worry, John, you're not alone. We can't get FIOS either; we're in Fullerton. Hell, for that matter, we can't even get Comcast voice at our house!

All I know is if Essex gets it before Dundalk, we will have sunk to our lowest point yet. We already had to take ownership of the "**** Plant" for 1 year courtesy of the 98 Rock "Toilet Bowl."
    No excuses!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    John sounds like you need a hug, Hun. :D
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    My uncle has FIOS right now and it's been unreliable so far. Sometimes the modem loses its connection and needs to be powered off and on. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Everyone in my area that has it has zero complaints or problems, everyone is extremely happy.
    If...
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Everyone in my area that has it has zero complaints or problems, everyone is extremely happy.

That's good. When I had AT&T DSL I experienced similar problems though - had to reset the modem every so often to get it to work...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited January 2008
    Hey did the cable company try to save you? It may be worthwhile to call up and say I'm going to disconnect my service if they'll throw a promo my way.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    I'll be dancing like a mad fool the day Fios gets here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    It might be too fast for you Jesse.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    Nah, I figure if you can handle it, it'll be a breeze for me........LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    I'm just a simple man, that's true.

We went back to Comcast because the boxless channel lineup on FIOS is horrendous. It wouldn't be too bad but we use 3 other televisions w/o boxes and I don't quite have a need for 25 channels of international programming. The general picture quality is superior and I kept the internet because of the company discount but I don't really miss it. The attrition rate for FIOS converts has risen in the past couple months but that's just my example.

The main thing is the wife can watch everything she used to in the kitchen and isn't yapping about it anymore.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    Verizon FIOS is awesome! Had mine hooked up over a year ago, and works great! The FIOS is true, unlike others that are advertised, Verizons go straight to the house/apt you are at. The actiontec router is horrible though. I signed on to this with the 15/2 with the online special of 34.99 per month. It was relatively new in the Garland Texas area.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    The problem I am having with FIOS is that my wifes laptop with Vista will not stay connected to the wireless router. We did not have any problems with the DSL router that we had prior to the FIOS installation. I have spent a lot of time with Verizon to try and fix it, we had a computer guy come here and try to get it to work for @ 4 hours and it will connect but will not stay connected and displays limited connectivity.

My wife wants me to buy her another laptop with XP. My laptop with XP is/has been fine.

Scott
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    hmm, that is odd. Could be something wrong with the settings on the laptop(hers).
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited January 2008
    If it is, Nobody can seem to figure it out.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'm just a simple man, that's true.

We went back to Comcast because the boxless channel lineup on FIOS is horrendous. It wouldn't be too bad but we use 3 other televisions w/o boxes and I don't quite have a need for 25 channels of international programming. The general picture quality is superior and I kept the internet because of the company discount but I don't really miss it. The attrition rate for FIOS converts has risen in the past couple months but that's just my example.

The main thing is the wife can watch everything she used to in the kitchen and isn't yapping about it anymore.

Wow, Verizon doesn't hook you up with freebies, huh? Pff. I'd quit.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.