a deal on them.

Any help would be greatful....... TELH
Post edited by telh on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Compatible with Bose? Sony receiver?

This is going to be an interesting thread. ;)

Cheers,
    Rooster

Ps, welcome aboard Telh, prepare to be schooled.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2002
    telh,

If you have the pin/pin type terminals for the interconnect cable you can order that from Polk. If you have the pin/blade type you will have to make one, because Polk doesn't sell it anymore. As far as the Bose system.....well, all I can say is trash can. Before you get upset by my statement, try out the Polks on a high-end receiver or seperates and see if you don't thank me.

Cheers,
    F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    I don't think he's talking about the SDA cable, but rather a cable to connect the speakers to the Bose 'unit'. RCAs if I'm not mistaken?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Ah, ha!

Yes Russ, you are correct.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• telh
    telh Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    I do need the interconnect cable but not sure which one I need
    I bought these at an auction.
    As for my bose system it sounds great and if it's true that polk
    speakers sound better than adding them to my bose system
    should sound even better.
    But I'm not sure if the bose sysytem has enough power to run them or the ohms are the same.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    telh,

If you look at the back of the speaker where the posts are, you will see a little round hole just above the pos./neg. posts. If there are two little round holes in there, then you need the pin/pin type interconnect cable which is the one I think you need. Of course you can just call Polk and they will help you.
    As far as the Bose system, no one knows what the power rating is or the ohms because Bose won't tell you. That makes me wonder what they are trying to hide. Logic would say that the Bose system will not drive the Polks and besides that, they will not match up sonically. I know you think your system sounds good, but once you step up to true hi-fi you'll never look back. The Polks are 6 ohms and your Sony will power them, but to really make them sing you will need better/clean power. Do you plan on using the Polks for two channel or multi? What made you buy the Polks? Did you think in the back of your mind that there has to be something better than Bose?

BTW, what did you pay for them?

President of Club Polk

• telh
    edited November 2002
    I not sure how I'm going to use them right now but the reason
    for buying them they were at this auction and the bid went to
    $25.00 each so I bid on them $27.50 and won. I said to myself
    I'll use them or sell them at a yard sale can't lose.
    As for the bose they sound great my brother inlaw sound proofed
    my living room and made them sound outstanding.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2002
    Telh,

If your speakers really are SDA 1B's, they are 4 ohm speakers. They will perform best with a good, high current, high power (200 watt per channel minimum) common ground amplifier.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • telh
    edited November 2002
    Thanks, If I don't use them any one know what I should try to
    sell them for.

Also any other info on adding them to the bose system would be helpful.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2002
    Also any other info on adding them to the bose system would be helpful.

Forget about it!

And raife1 is right, they are 4 ohms not 6 as I thought.

These are great speakers, much, much better than anything Bose ever made. Since I don't know what Bose system you have, the following is a general statement. Bose uses cheap paper cones with foam surrounds and plastic or thin flake board speaker cabinets. Polk uses high-tech cones with rubber surrounds, seperate tweeters and heavy, well designed cabinets. Don't believe me? Take them apart and see for yourself. Better yet, hook the Polks up to some good clean power (something the Bose will never be able to handle) and get your listen on.

President of Club Polk