This boss ROCKS!!!

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 50,446
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Found this on another forum, I LOVE it!!!

German boss fires staff for not smoking

The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.

"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying. "We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited January 2008
    Basically trouble makers need flushed...works for me.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited January 2008
    Insert a "Hand Salute" here !

My dad used to say, "The only thing worse than a reformed drunk is a reformed smoker".

He should have included in that group non-smokers who don't have anything better to do than whine about "Oooooh, your second-hand smoke is killing me !".

Oh yeah ? Well, let's all hope that's true, and it happens pretty dam quick.

I smoke but I'm going to quit soon. When I do, though, I'll say the same exact thing.
    Sal Palooza
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    Outstanding. That **** works both ways! I still don't understand why bar owners cannot open a "smoker's only" bar--that's discrimination dontcha know, but they are required to have a non-smokers only bar? Our town finally fell victim to this BS. Since about 90% of drinkers are also smokers, most of the people spend their evening in the damn parking lot, and the bar is empty! ...how stupid is that? It has to be putting a hurt on bar owners/sports bars. What was wrong with the smoking and non-smoking areas? Now that's not good enough either....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    thats funny :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    The three that got fired should count their blessings. They will probably be alive to attend the funerals of the other seven.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Outstanding. That **** works both ways! I still don't understand why bar owners cannot open a "smoker's only" bar--that's discrimination dontcha know, but they are required to have a non-smokers only bar? Our town finally fell victim to this BS. Since about 90% of drinkers are also smokers, most of the people spend their evening in the damn parking lot, and the bar is empty! ...how stupid is that? It has to be putting a hurt on bar owners/sports bars. What was wrong with the smoking and non-smoking areas? Now that's not good enough either....

The reason they usually gave for the bans was for workers - why they can't just say people who work in smoking areas should be smokers I don't know, but that's the reason given.

I think at this point we all KNOW that smoking is bad for you, I don't understand trying to force people to quit as long as they know the consequences.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    funny, but I would really not want to work in an office with smoker's as I have been specifically advised to avoid second hand smoke. If German law allows it, so be it, definete majority rule but ya think the boss is a smoker!!!!!!!!!!

RT1
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    SILENCE!!!!!.... I KEEEEL YOUUUUU
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Hey, you can live in a test tube your whole life, or you can enjoy yourself--the choice is yours...we ALL die in the end.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited January 2008
    Hey, you can live in a test tube your whole life, or you can enjoy yourself--the choice is yours...we ALL die in the end.

thats almost as intelligent as saying you don't wear your seatbelt because "everyone dies". you could always just go jump off a bridge..i mean you are gonna die eventually why not get it over with
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited January 2008
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    RIGHT ON MAN!!! A big 'bird' in the face of the pc ****'s(no pun intended):D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2008
    I remember working with several smokestacks, One guy often had one in his mouth, and one burning in the tray he forgot about. A couple of coffee cups close by too. That was one wired guy.
    I've been stuck in the smoking section of a plane, too. GASP, HACK, COUGH.
    Nothing like business travelers chain smoking and drinking. And short skirted
    flight attendants. There's a volatile mix for you.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    thats almost as intelligent as saying you don't wear your seatbelt because "everyone dies". you could always just go jump off a bridge..i mean you are gonna die eventually why not get it over with

Wow, you leaped to a ton of conclusions there. It simply means there isn't much in this world that is safe. Do you drive a car? Do you know how many people die in car accidents...and armed with this knowledge, you still choose to drive?

Why that's just plain crazy....:rolleyes:

I submit that if you want to live forever, place yourself in a test tube. Me, I'll live the way I see fit, and enjoy those things that I enjoy. You do whatever you want.

We all do things (unless you are occupying said test tube) that have potential hazards---and think the same things..."It won't happen to me." I fully admit that smoking is a stupid thing, no doubt about it; it's an unnecessary, expensive habit. I also think bungee jumping is a stupid thing--it doesn't mean I'm going to pass judgement on bungee jumper's--hey it's what they like to do. And, yes, I wear my seatbelt.
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    i didn't pass any more judgement on you as you did on me for NOT smoking. so i would say we're even . i really am fine with you smoking but to say i dont live life to its fullest because i don't smoke? thats just an oxymoron.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    I think all Steve is saying, is that there will always be someone to find something bad. Hot dogs, pizza, sugar, beer, smoking, farting, audio.... Always someone finding a case to be made about any of them.

You cant talk about any of them, without someone saying, "you'll die from it and people who dont do it are better off than you"

they look at you with disgust and say "eww, you smoke?", or "eww you eat hotdogs?", or ewww, you drink beer?", or "ewww, you listen to 2 channel audio?"

It just gets old after awhile.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,446
    edited January 2008

I think you are missing the point. We don't need the government mirco managing our lives, which is exactly what they are doing. It's a slippery slope.

but to say i dont live life to its fullest because i don't smoke? thats just an oxymoron.

That's not what Steve was saying, at all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    No judgement intended. I actually agree with alot that has been done to reduce hazards to non-smokers--hell I never sat in the smoking area of restaurants either, and don't smoke in my own home because I don't like the smell. I just think anti-smoking legislation has gone way overboard and ventured into the rediculous with some of these laws.
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    i'm not saying thats not true. i was just pointing out that it was kind of off to assume that people who choose not to smoke live in a test tube. i remember when i was 17 i smoke for about a year and then i quit. after realizing i could barely walk up a flight of stairs without catching my breath afterwards. i think your exactly right about there will always be someone out there saying "this is bad for you" and yes most of it is retarded. but i think even smokers will agree that smoking is terrible for you. i have to work now so im just gonna call a truce. i see it as just a point of view steve, you see your smoking as a choice because you want to live your life the way you want and you enjoy smoking. and my choice is to not smoke because its not worth the health risks in my opinion. we just have diffrent outlooks. off to work for me!
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    steve i agree with the anti smoking thing. i say if people wanna do it let them. gotta go!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited January 2008
    i'm not saying thats not true. i was just pointing out that it was kind of off to assume that people who choose not to smoke live in a test tube. i remember when i was 17 i smoke for about a year and then i quit. after realizing i could barely walk up a flight of stairs without catching my breath afterwards. i think your exactly right about there will always be someone out there saying "this is bad for you" and yes most of it is retarded. but i think even smokers will agree that smoking is terrible for you. i have to work now so im just gonna call a truce. i see it as just a point of view steve, you see your smoking as a choice because you want to live your life the way you want and you enjoy smoking. and my choice is to not smoke because its not worth the health risks in my opinion. we just have diffrent outlooks. off to work for me!

The bottom line a kind of terrorist mentality has started against smoking,
    drinking, meat,guns, etc. The same kind of tactics are used against religion.
    The approach is very heavy handed and assumes one person's rights are
    more importanat than another's. I really don't care about smoking.
    As long as I'm not right next to it, I don't care.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    It really comes down to courteous and non-courteous people---in all things. Be it loud music, smoking, cutting the grass at 6 am on Sunday, etc. If people on both sides would exercise a little courtesy AND a little toleration, we wouldn't have all this rediculous legislation. The problem with this country is that fewer and fewer people are courteous, and even fewer are tolerant.

Quick funny story: Last time Bev & I flew, after everyone was on the plane; I stood up with an unlit cigarette in my mouth and said "anybody got a light?" You should have seen the look on those peoples faces, you'd swear I said "I have a bomb, and you're all going to die." It was funny.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Steve didn't pass any judgment on non-smokers, just those who try to limit his right to smoke.

His test tube comment was about people who avoid any and all risks in life just to feel "safe". You don't smoke because you don't want to, you don't enjoy it, that's a whole different thing.

(not to speak for steve of course, just how I interpreted it)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AdamRagland
    edited January 2008
    i understand what your saying. sorry if i misinterpreted what your point was. i get the same gruff for belonging to the NRA. Same intolerance has happened to me for being a gun owner. A friend of ours found out a have a conceal carry permit and you would swear by the look on her face that i shot her mother. so when i relate how i feel in those situations to how you probably feel when someone looks at you wih disgust for smoking, i get your point. i still think you should quit though:)
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited January 2008
    I grew up in a house where both parents smoked. They wouldn't even let me open a window in my room so I could breathe because I was 'letting the ac out'. Everything in their house did and still does smell like cigarettes. I have never tried a cigarrette but I still worry about the effect those 18 years had on me. I can't stand cigarette smoke.

1.gif
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited January 2008
    That was how I interpreted it too. Someone else apparently took offense to it.....

I've smoked since I was about 18 (41 now) but am not a chain smoker nor do I have to have one at all times. I don't smoke in my own house...I go outside; I don't smoke around people that smoke...out of obvious respect; and it doesn't chap me when you can't smoke in a restaurant...if it's that bad of an addiction go outside and then come back in. I'm glad you can't smoke in planes anymore and I never experienced that. I do like smoking in a bar if I happen to be in one and, to me, it's weird to have non smoking bars. That's what we've had darn near all our lives and if it was a problem for people, it was their "choice" not to come in. If it's a non-smoking bar, I guess you're going to have a bunch of people going outside to smoke because that's just what they do. Oh well. I'll just do it my way out of respect for the non smokers and not smoke around them.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    It simply means there isn't much in this world that is safe. Do you drive a car? Do you know how many people die in car accidents...and armed with this knowledge, you still choose to drive?

Driving a car is a necessity for almost everyone because the ability to commute to work is how most of us are able to make a living. There's really no benefit to smoking at all. So I get your point, but the 2 choices are worlds apart.

Smoking really is terrible for you and there really is no denying it. I did it for a long time and enjoyed it quite a bit as well. How it made me feel in the long run was not enjoyable and there wasn't a single upside to it. Financially it was a complete waste. Clothes and breath smelled like ****.

With all that, I still believe private businesses should have the choice to allow/ban smoking as they see fit. This is all headed down a slippery slope and starting with smokers was the easiest thing to do. It's very hard to defend someones right to smoke since there is no upside to smoking. Fat people are on the list as well.

Doin' right aint' got no end.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    i understand what your saying. sorry if i misinterpreted what your point was. i get the same gruff for belonging to the NRA. Same intolerance has happened to me for being a gun owner. A friend of ours found out a have a conceal carry permit and you would swear by the look on her face that i shot her mother. so when i relate how i feel in those situations to how you probably feel when someone looks at you wih disgust for smoking, i get your point. i still think you should quit though:)

See there, we do have something in common. I'm an NRA life member! Rock on.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    I grew up in a house where both parents smoked. They wouldn't even let me open a window in my room so I could breathe because I was 'letting the ac out'. Everything in their house did and still does smell like cigarettes. I have never tried a cigarrette but I still worry about the effect those 18 years had on me. I can't stand cigarette smoke.

1.gif

Stop worrying. My mom & dad smoked too, I'm the only one out 5 kids that ended up being a smoker. Everyone is fine, healthy, etc.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2008
    Quick funny story: Last time Bev & I flew, after everyone was on the plane; I stood up with an unlit cigarette in my mouth and said "anybody got a light?" You should have seen the look on those peoples faces, you'd swear I said "I have a bomb, and you're all going to die." It was funny.

Bro, DON'T try that stuff in Mass., they'll shoot ya at dawn....And NO, you won't get a last cigarette!:eek::D
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!