Fullscreen! You got FULLSCREEN!??

-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
I went downstairs and my roommate had the opening credits to the new star wars blasting out "Duunn dun da dunnnnnnn!!!!" I grabbed the remote, made sure it was in "FULL" and sat down to enjoy Episode II on my big screen.

Scene one begins --- the actors are smashed and wide! "OH NO, what is going on??" I ask. I pick up the box: FULL SCREEN! Yikes, well there goes a fun filled evening of movie-watching.

Why oh why do they make this crap? Can't someone make the decision to just "stop making fullscreen movies?"

Of course he's going to take it back, and was shocked that he even bought the fullscreen version. It's just such a pain in the ****!

:mad:

~Justin
Post edited by -justin- on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    dude.. get him out of the house NOW!
    look for a new roommate. there is no explantion for this kind of behavior. kick him to the curb now man. before it's to late. :p:lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Give em the Rock bottom.......then pick his **** up and F5 him.when hes down, climb up on the couch and frog splash his ****.....

After that just drill him with an elbow.......over and over and over and over.........that 'll teach him.:supermad: :supermad:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    justa little extreme here guys??? :)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2002
    No you're right, he deserves to be taught a lesson. Especially when I got up and said, "Oh well, guess we'll have to wait until you take it back." He mutters, "Ehhh, oh well, we can still watch this one."

OH NO, I didn't spend **** $$$'s to watch movies in fullscreen. F-that.

*Roommate wanted: Must have the ability to distinguish between fullscreen and widescreen.*
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    I doubt they'll take it back once its opened...

I've read articles mentioning how many people really hate the black stripes on the top and bottom of fullscreen movies. It is "wasting" the screen. I suppose they don't really understand or care about what is lost with pan-and-scan.

Anymore, I probably triple-check DVD purchases before I pay just to be sure I didn't accidently pick up the full screen version.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Just beat him.Sledge hammer ring any bells?????
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    i took back spiderman when i catuley got a full screen and i opened it too good luck i hate full screen i too wish they would olny make ws and what are thoes people going to do when all tv are in ws
  • palebluedot
    palebluedot Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Well, there will still be black bars in wide screen...16:9 isn't exaclty 2.35:1. Certainly closer, but eh...who cares. I think part of the problem is TV makers really need to kick 16:9 into gear. To make the vertical height of a 4:3 27" tv, you need something like a 42" 16:9 tv to make up the difference in height. And if you want a TV wide enough to fit Ben Hur in full aspect (I believe it was 2.76:1) then lord all mighty, you might as well stop calling that a TV and call it a bench...

The main thing I've found to make WS more appealing is getting a quality dark picture tube so you don't see the rest of the TV. White or silver cases don't help much either. My Hitachi, which I believe has a Panasonic tube in it, is nice and dark...with the lights off, you can hardly tell there's anything above or bellow for screen space.

But let me take my stance, I hate full screen. I used to be a projectionist years ago and I was so happy when WS first started making an appearance. As far as I'm concerned, VHS can become the full screen format. Give them a bonus CDROM with quicktime files for their extras. They'll probably try and stick it in their VCR...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    I agree, but some people have small TVs. Personally, I wish cable companies would start broadcasting more movies in WS.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2002
    Hey guys,

Call me stupid... but, a TV is a TV. Full screen is the standard.
    Now, Hollywood is definitely wide-screen. What I like is BIG SCREEN - I have a 61" Sony rear projection. Given the fact that 80% of my viewing is Directv and 20% is DVD, doesn't it make more sense to view Directv on a full screen (not a wide screen). Ok, now, I go out and buy a DVD. Should I buy a WS version knowing that I have a full screen TV? Doesn't make sense. I agree, the industry needs to commonize. But, until Directv goes to widescreen format across the board (HBO, Showtime, etc)... it certainly doesn't make sense to buy WS DVD's knowing that major portions of my screen will be barred off in black. Right now, the best consumer option would be to own TWO big TV's... that just isn't very practical. So, for me, for now, FULL SCREEN is preferred.
  • Fly B
    Fly B Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    I bought a 53" 4:3 Digital Rear Projection TV for similar reasons. Most of my TV watching, over the two years I've had it and for at least the next few years, will be in standard format. For the last year and a half, I, too, have been a DirecTV subscriber, which is predominantly full screen. I haven't invested in an HDTV tuner yet....there's not enough programming right now to make it worth it (to me, anyway).

Having said that, I like my movies widescreen, and if it's an either/or situation, I'll buy (or rent) the widescreen version of any DVD. I don't mind the black bars on top and bottom so much while watching movies (because ideally, the room will be darkened for such viewing, anyway). However, black bars on the sides would be distracting during regular TV viewing, I would think.

It won't be too long before HDTV becomes the standard and widescreen sets become the norm. Maybe then the masses will "get it".
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    certainly doesn't make sense to buy WS DVD's knowing that major portions of my screen will be barred off in black

sayno2.gif

A picture (or part of it) is worth a thousand words!!

If this isn't enough to change your mind about "FULL SCREEN DVDS" go HERE.

Friends don't let friends watch fullscreen!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    i just watch regular tv in strech mode you lose a bit of the top ancd botom but more and more programs on normal tv is isn ws like ER and others
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    that why I'm sick of the 3 LDs I had : Starwars, Empire strikes back and Return of the Jedi, Pan and Scan version, stereo extended play only, seems like I already own them for more than a 100 years. It's about time to say "good bye to that yellow brick road"
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2002
    >> Friends don't let friends watch fullscreen! <<

That's GREAT! LOL!

Justin: Bumper sticker time for that one!
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney