Virus Protection - Kaspersky or Eset NoD32

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I was about to pul the trigger on Kaspersky when I decided to do one more round of research, and came across Eset, a program I'd never heard of. On further review, it appears that NOD32 is commonly reviewed as 'as good' or 'better' than kaspersky.

Anyone have any experience with both? I know Kaspersky is good, but am now thinking of trying Eset instead...
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    wow, you have to use Windows Firewall and Defender on top of NOD32?
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited January 2008
    Datastorm wrote: »
    Hello

I just installed Vista on a duel boot configuration and gave Kapersky a try, they had a 30 day free trial option. I found that it was very over zealous and slowed my browsing down. If I would go to a site like Newegg where there was alot of images most of them wouldn't load. As soon as I disabled it the page and the rest of the images would load immediately. I also found it wouldn't let Vista shut down properly sometimes.

So I tried the NOD32 and have been sold, very slick program, easy to use, doesn't slow anything down, no problems on pages loading either. If your running XP I'm sure it would be fine on there too. Its been shown on tests to find viruses better then most of the other programs out there. I've been watching Leo Laporte, hes a tech guy that does Call For Help, and hes been raving about it for years, and I can see why now...

I should add that both programs are watching your web surfing and looking for malware in addition to viruses... So using a router, which has a hardware firewall, making sure windows firewall is on, using Windows defender, and Nod32 seems to be a great combination, at least for me anyway....

+1 On NOD32 also. I have used it for years and there is very little that I can complain about. The only thing that bugs me about it, is that sometimes it is difficult to find if it was actually doing the scans or not. It just does so much and the user interface is a little difficult to grasp. I am computer savvy, but the GUI is just a little odd.

Trust me I am nit picking here. Once I started NOD my virus worries went away.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    Have you read up at virusbulletin.com?
    They have detailed comparisons and give awards.
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

I'm perfectly happy with AVG. Doesn't seem to slow things down too much, regular updates, and its free.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2008
    Another vote for the GUI being a little odd, but I love nod32. I've been using it for about two or three years now and I find it to be less resource hungry than norton or avg. I haven't used Kapersky, so I can't really compare it to that.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    I just signed up for that site, can't really see anything without signing up - I'll check it out once I get access
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    AVG Free and Windows Defender Free. Virus free for years....
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Anyone know how good the full Security Suite is - is it also a good spyware program, or just so-so?

I'm aware of the free tools like AVG and Avast and have tried them both, just looking to take it up a notch - I figure 50 bucks a year ain't bad...
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited January 2008
    I am running the ESET complete suite; I believe the interface is different than the older AV only program.

I have been very happy with it; uses virtually no resources, and is pretty much invisible.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    Wow, great stuff!

On a side note, I run some oldish laptops that stay connected for long periods. They don't seem to like Mc Afee or Norton (they work fine, but take up far too many resources and make startup take forever). I've had much better luck with CA, which uses much less RAM and other resources, but the firewall is annoying when first installed: it constantly asks for permissions to which you just answer "yes" without really knowing if it was the right thing to do. So I just rely on the hardware firewall on the modem/router now. I think that is supposed to be sufficient protection. I've had no virus issues whatsoever for several years. Not sure about spyware (I always wonder where some of that SPAM comes from and if it was due to insufficient protection).
    Alea jacta est!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Free.grisoft.com
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Kex wrote: »
    Wow, great stuff!

On a side note, I run some oldish laptops that stay connected for long periods. They don't seem to like Mc Afee or Norton (they work fine, but take up far too many resources and make startup take forever). I've had much better luck with CA, which uses much less RAM and other resources, but the firewall is annoying when first installed: it constantly asks for permissions to which you just answer "yes" without really knowing if it was the right thing to do. So I just rely on the hardware firewall on the modem/router now. I think that is supposed to be sufficient protection. I've had no virus issues whatsoever for several years. Not sure about spyware (I always wonder where some of that SPAM comes from and if it was due to insufficient protection).

At my buisness, I uninstalled all Norton and McAfee. Those too requires a **** load of RAM to operate without slowing systems down. I installed AVG and Windows Defender on all systems. Running them now on year 2 with no issues. Also I recommend yahoo toolbar, comes with a very neat Norton spyware scanner. Works well. Running AVG, Windows Defender and scanning once a month with Norton spyware, we have had absolutly no problems at all.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited January 2008
    I had been thru many different products and finally stayed with McAfee which is the best for computer performance.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Free.grisort.com

IT's free.grisoft.com for AVG.

And he said he'd already heard of it but wanted more.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Dont we all...:rolleyes:
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• billbillw
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I figure 50 bucks a year ain't bad...

But for something that is free from other sources? Yes Eset and Kappersky might be slightly better, but in reality, do you need that much protection? If you are relatively smart about which websites you choose to browse, which attachments you open, and have relatively good spam filters, you virus/malware risk is not that high. In the last 4 years, I've probably only seen 3 or 4 virusus/trojan horses/etc detected on my system and they were always immediately detected by whichever virus program I was using. I used Norton for a long time, then when I went to x64 a couple years back, I switched Avast! and now AVG. I only made the move to AVG based on the scores at Virusbulletin (linked above)
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    IT's free.grisoft.com for AVG.

Thanks for the spell check:o
    I was just giving another vote for it. I use it, and I can get any of the virus scanners out there for free, but I choose AVG. It isn't a resource hog, and does a very good job of catching viruses. As far a virus proof... If you are a download of illegal, or shady downloads then you deserve to get viruses. Most stuff on the INTERNET cost you one way, or another.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    Dont we all...:rolleyes:
    LOL!
    Alea jacta est!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Okay, a few quick things:

1 - I don't download any illegal stuff and don't visit questionable sites online. I'm not sure how or why that was brought up, but it's not an issue.

2 - I don't like AVG (there I said it). I've tried it before and could never get the update piece to work properly. After about six months of having to completely uninstall and reinstall I finally gave up and switched to Avast. I do lots of computer work, and I'm not an idiot, I could just never get it to work to my satisfaction.

3 - Neither Avast or AVG (that I'm aware of) have a full suite with spyware and all that. I'm wanting not just an antivirus, but the full package.

4 - I'm not just looking for myself, this is something that I'll also be reccomending to customers. I don't know what their browsing habbits are or how careful they are with their PCs, so I have to account for that. Before I can reccomend something to a customer, I need to play with and be familiar with it first.

I've never once had a virus in all my years of computing, and just want to keep it that way.
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    Ok then. Get Eset. Its the best according to most including virus bulletin.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Can someone point me to the scores on the Vbulleting website? I'm only seeing a pass-fail type score on the VB100 test. Based on that, didn't AVG fail the Windows XP test?

Am I reading that wrong, or is there something else I should be looking at?
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Well that's a bummer...
  • billbillw
    edited January 2008
    http://www.virusbtn.com/virusbulletin/archive/2007/06/vb200706-comparative

(you may have to login to see this)

Yes, AVG failed, but so did Kapersky, both for fairly minor issues. BTW, I use x64 which AVG passed (although this was in Dec '06)

When I say Eset is the best, its because it has garnered more VB100 awards than just about any other, and its always been known to be one of the most efficient with respect to system resources. I'd have it if I wasn't such a cheap ****.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Okay, a few quick things:

1 - I don't download any illegal stuff and don't visit questionable sites online. I'm not sure how or why that was brought up, but it's not an issue.

I didn't bring this up to offend anyone. I am in the computer business, and I have customers who have kids that refuse to listen to there parents, and download everything they see. If they are downloading a program, and it is only 524k, and should be greater than 68megs, then there is a problem. I have not had the issues with AVG not updating properly, and it is on over 100 of client machines. I did have an issue when Vista first came out, but everything is smooth now. Most issues with AVG not updating properly is due to not rebooting after an update. Please don't feel I am trying to school you, I just wanted to get this info out for others interested in free AV programs.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Just Click NO.....
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2008

That's what I'm using on my Vista box. I use Spy Catcher Express and Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal on my XP machine. I've never had a virus problem since I switched to the free programs, go figure.

I highly recommend Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal for cleaning up junk and the registry and optimizing all the little settings on XP.
  • chillywilly
    chillywilly Posts: 167
    edited January 2008
    I use panda and never have had a problem
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited January 2008
    Eset has the vote from the PC professionals. It gives great protection and only uses about 12 MB of memory. McAfee or Norton use 50 - 60 MB and will slow the system down. I've used both. NOD32 is fast, gives superior protect and doesn't take much memory.

If you want the free stuff, help yourself.
    Carl

• Systems
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing