Star Wars II, what do you think of it?

trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited November 2002 in Music & Movies
I think the other thread deinitlely showed we were excited to get it.
Now that you have it what did you think of it?

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    I have to say - I did not like the story at all.
    150million of sound and audio. Great demo dvd and that is it. Very stupid.:supermad:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    Scott, Scott, Scott, it's always been about special effects and audio. Story, very simplistic, but this one, AotC really started to show the rise of the evil empire, how the clones came to be and all the politics surrounding. Ep.II has some of the most story of any SW movie to date.

But, as for the A/V, F'ing awesome. I almost fell out'a my seat when the senator's ship flew by in the opening scene.

This is nearly a perfect DVD, the picture quality is outstanding, black levels are deep, dark and reveal excellent detail, flesh tones are dead on and the colors vibrant, not a hint of grain or aritfacts anywhere. My jaw hit the floor after I popped this baby in.

Thank you Lucas. If he makes the original trilogy look anything like this, it will be worth the wait.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • trubluluc
    edited November 2002
    One thumbs down.
    And one thumbs up.

That about says it for me, I would vote thumbs up and down.

Audio? yes impressive.
    Video? yes, clear and clean.
    Story? ok it's not Hemingway.

But, realistically the first 55 minutes, were a real yawn fest.
    I've watched senate hearings with more action.
    Humor? at least 3 po (?) hasn't lost his sense of pun, but the rest of the cast
    sheesh,
    like an episode of "days of our lives".
    I want charaters I give a damn about,
    Hans Solo?, Chewie?
    Yoda was one of the few with personality.

-Luc
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    I thought the picture quality was a big improvement from Phantom Menace (which isn't saying much), with a noticeable lack of artifacts and a much more uniform look to the picture.

Nevertheless, all human characters look perpetually out of focus, like a soft lens is being used in every scene. Did anyone else notice this? This is a very annoying carry-over from PM and I think it was deliberate. On the other hand, CGI is perfectly clear, and the special FX are excellent.

I don't think it's my HDTV or DVD player - I get perfect images from many other DVDs. For example, JPIII totally blows Clones out of the water for image sharpness, IMO.

The acting is flat out terrible across the board, with many scenes so hokey and contrived I groaned out loud. I didn't expect much in this area, though, so I wasn't too disappointed.

Sound track is decent, and Clones carries on the PM tradition of having an absolutely aggressive and deep LFE track that is mastered much louder than the other surround channels. The LF effects literally shook the room in some scenes and that was a lot of fun.

The story line is easy to follow and completely lacking in nuance or complexity. All motives (power, revenge, love, etc.) are at once easily comprehended by the typical adolescent, and it's obvious the Star Wars movies are geared towards younger audiences. The key word with Lucas is FUN. Check your brain at the door, break out the popcorn, overlook the rotten acting and simplistic story line, and revel in the special FX and monster LFE track and have a good time home at the movies.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited November 2002
    So are these clones what we will see later as "StormTroopers?" Cuz if they are, they really sucked in the last three episodes. I thought they were cloned from the badazz Jango Fett.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited November 2002
    Woohoo.......just noticed i got out of that "polkie" title. I'm movin' up in this world. :)
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    one decent/cool disc that I don't mind to carry it on the airplane with me and the Pioneer portable LCD player at anytime. when you flying, you really don't care about the story or else, only the action/special effect and that count.
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    So are these clones what we will see later as "StormTroopers?"
    Yes they are.

As for the picture being soft, yes it is, but it did not bother me one bit, with an almost all CGI'd movie, soft is better, sharp would make it look even more unrealistic.

If we compare the old vr. the new, the acting is not much better.

As much as I like Clones, Hope and Empire were better, but not Jedi, it was as bad as Menace, maybe just a hair better.
    All motives (power, revenge, love, etc.) are at once easily comprehended by the typical adolescent, and it's obvious the Star Wars movies are geared towards younger audiences. The key word with Lucas is FUN. Check your brain at the door, break out the popcorn, overlook the rotten acting and simplistic story line, and revel in the special FX and monster LFE track and have a good time home at the movies.
    This is what all Star Wars movies are about.

If...
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2002
    The audio/visual aspects of this movie are exceptional -- it's just that the main characters, Amidala and Anakin, are wooden and unconvincing. The kids love it and that's why we bought it.
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    I love it and that's why I bought it. Great Sci-Fi.

If...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2002
    I love it and that's why I bought it. Great Sci-Fi.

I'm with Ron on this one.
    The story line is easy to follow and completely lacking in nuance or complexity. All motives (power, revenge, love, etc.) are at once easily comprehended by the typical adolescent, and it's obvious the Star Wars movies are geared towards younger audiences.

I'm really glad to hear that at 48 I'm a younger audience!
    Story? ok it's not Hemingway.

Nor is it Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, or Schindler's List.

It is as it was originally intended...a Satuday Matinee "Cliff Hanger" (only the old farts like me will remember these!). Lots of action with a continuing story line. Good fun!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    I wanted to like this movie even more than the next person but I could not get over the story and dialog. I talked to some friends at work and we had a fun disscusion of the movie. They loved it but they are role playing freaks. They are now in the middle of Star Wars role playing board game. The book that comes with it explains everything a person would want to know about SW's.
    So using the force through Lucas they are able to make sence of anything. That just does not fly with me. Here is a things that make me say HHHmmmmm list that I may grow over time:
    Feel the wraith of my sarcasm.

1)First of I was really wanting a different THX trailer to start the movie. We were jipped on that one. I mean this is Lucas after all.

2)I hate to say it but the picture quality was almost too good.
    What I mean is that in some scence it was like the acters were cardboard cutout looking. Like really bad blue screen work. Some of the back ground scence looked like cloth backdrops. Killer quality - yes. I can even see some flaws in my color and this dvd will help to re-calibrate.

3)Why does this COOK guy know more than anyone else?

4)R2 D2 can freaking fly?

5)The Senator chick leaves Jar Jar in charge? Hello!

6)If Anakin would have left his Mother tied up she may have lived even longer? Dying in his arms-predictable. Strange how he did not care about her well being the last ten years.

7)Anakin spills the beans about slaying women and children and gets sympathy from the moral Senator?

8)After you destroy two light sabers - Do you have to PAY for the third one? Can you choose what color you want? Maybe change the color every time?

9)Did Yoda always have a walking stick? Weird that he can move like ninja in battle. Isn't there a height requirment to be a Jedi.
    Where are the others like him hanging out.

10)Anakin's attitude - Democracy (Kill them all) When he took the written Jedi test shoudn't they have figured this out. Like on a gun buying questionaire sheet.

11)When master Yoda was training the little jedi's - did you see the freaking size of the helmets. My god, couldn't they can up with something a little bit cooler to cover there eyes. I think they were able to peek out the bottom myself.

12)When the heat seeking missle was closing in Obi one's and R4's ship - strange how it went right up to the ship and then just stayed about 100' back. I mean dam, he could have left the ship and disarmed it in mid air.

13)S. L. Jackson - big fan Long Kiss Good Night *Jacky Brown* Pulp Fiction * Seeing him with out a real gun and not cursing. Seating there with his hands crossed the whole time - WOW!

14)Anakin loses his arm - Hello, it is the age a mass cloning - couldn't they just clone him a new arm. I mean we are starting that stuff now.

15) No blood - ya I get it, the light saber corderizes the wound.
    A weapon that inflects a wound and heals your enemy at the same time?
    I could go on but you get some of my problems with it.
    Man the Senator chick looked totally hot in that white outfit towards the end. Heard that there is a nude photo of her vacationing at the beach floating around the internet.
    I do not usually pick movies apart - I like to enjoy them but this is a strange one. Hope the third one is better. Sometimes you have to do things a little different. They just got the funding for Jurassic Park 4 - the first 3 have been a cliche of eachother - now it is time to think out side the box.
    O.......K........ I am just chatty today. I think I am done.
    :lol:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

Scott makes some pretty salient points.

I thought it was better than the PM but I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. Picture was fine, sound was cool yada yada yada....

Good grief though, everyone in that movie looked like they had a 2x4 stuck up there ****. One of the great things about the original trilogy, well the first 2 anyway, is that people could identify with the characters, they were very 'real', for lack of a better term.

The other thing that the original triology had going for it was suspense, in that the whole Luke/Lea/Darth Vader connection was a pretty big mystery. You didn't know how they all fit together. Now that we do, it's all a bit anti-climactic.

Plus, GL is a complete sellout. His main concern is fueling his ego. Making the BIG picture and the BIG bucks. Style over substance.

IMO, it was watchable and cool for the sound and effects but compared to the original Star Wars, well, there is no comparison.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back 'ARE' Star Wars, the others, enjoyable Sic-Fi, fun and entertaining movies. Even Luke, Leia and Han could not save Jedi.

If...
  • moorefield
    moorefield Posts: 23
    edited November 2002
    maybe we are not seeing the entire picture? Each film is a piece of the puzzle. Now, one piece doesn't look great, but when all the pieces are in place....we'll then you have a nice 6 part movie. Lets wait and see. Remember we're dissecting one film at a time. Lucas has an overall vision...lets hope it all comes together when all is said and done.
  • moorefield
    moorefield Posts: 23
    edited November 2002
    maybe we are not seeing the entire picture? Each film is a piece of the puzzle. Now, one piece doesn't look great, but when all the pieces are in place....we'll then you have a nice 6 part movie. Lets wait and see. Remember we're dissecting one film at a time. Lucas has an overall vision...lets hope it all comes together when all is said and done.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    this is all i have to say is they could combine 2 and 3 and have it feel like harry potter i liked the movie it was stunning but the bass shook a basement window and it rattled all the time when there was bass
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Picked up Lotr-Extended edition along with Star Wars II. First I played Episode II and while the f/x were stellar, I grew frustrated with the acting, story/plot etc.
    It just took 20 minutes of the episode II and I switched over to Lotr. Boy what a difference ! It's everything Star Wars wants to be!
    Both are keepers but Lotr's is in another league! :D
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    I agree as well, although, Rings cannot hold a candle to ANH or ESB. But it does burn TPM and AotC.

If...
  • trubluluc
    edited November 2002
    Ron-

you talking anheiser busch and
    extra special bitter?
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    Star Wars: A New Hope and SW: Empire Strikes Back.

If...
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    I agree as well, although, Rings cannot hold a candle to ANH or ESB. But it does burn TPM and AotC.

I don't know even about that Ron. Maybe Lucas was probably inspired from LotR !? - Then again he would have made better movies ! ;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2002
    Attack of the clones..
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! damn, the first 90 mins are slow. i fell asleep twice during the first 90 mins. bad acting, so so story, good effects, my dvd doesnt' look soft to me. the colors are nice and bold.. good audio.. but not enough fight sequences to really kick my butt into overdrive.
    i want more death and destruction.. about every 10 to 12 minutes would be just about right for me. As it stands.. for me.. it would be one kickass movie if you cut out all the slow crap.. but then who would watch a 45 minute movie??
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    Good sound, but I liked Ep I better
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    is the new lotr 4 disc worth buying a seccond coppy of the movie?
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited November 2002
  • scottvamp
    edited November 2002
    is the new lotr 4 disc worth buying a seccond coppy of the movie?
    Yes, if you have DTS 6/7.1 capabilities. Well worth it. :D
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    Just for the dts track alone it is worth the purchase, puts the dd track to shame.

If...
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2002
    I enjoyed it much better in the privacy of my own theater. AotC (as was TPM) is really just a simplistic, live action cartoon, so my expectations were not that high. ;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!