IPOD experts...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I'm considering picking up an IPOD shuffle, and all of my music will be imported into Itunes via my CD's...here's my question, is AAC format and 128kbps good fidelity or should I use something higher?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Higher....much higher. Lossless formats range from 900-1100 kbps.

Why do you want a shuffle? You don't want something with an LCD screen you can see? I can't imagine being able to store much on a shuffle.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't use it very often, but I may go for the nano. Just don't want to spend alot on it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    Shuffle's hold about 250 songs and that only w/the songs being recorded at 128 kbps.

If you have more songs that you want on your ipod, I suggest the nano & up.

Unfortunately for me, I once read that the human ear can't hear the difference after 128 kbps. So I recorded all of my songs onto my ipod at 160, "just to be safe." Now I've read that the higher bit rate, the better the sound.

One article posted here by a member said that about 224 is best while others (most here) say just go lossless, which means that what you put onto your ipod is the same as what's on your cd.

That takes a lot of room, but, if you want your ipod to sound the sweetest, that's what it'll take.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2007
    nano is definitely a meaningful starting point, Stevie!

I have 30GB video and 4GB Nano. Can't leave home without them, when traveling by air...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I love my shuffle. Small, discrete, right now I have 17 complete albums on it, from Keb Mo to Dire Straits, to The White Stripes. I don't miss having a screen at all, and find it very easy to navigate.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    I am looking at the 4GB Nano for my son's birthday in February. Seems like a good place to start.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I love my shuffle. Small, discrete, right now I have 17 complete albums on it, from Keb Mo to Dire Straits, to The White Stripes. I don't miss having a screen at all, and find it very easy to navigate.

yea but your hardcore
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Russ, what bit rate do you use? Would AAC @ 256kbps be a good compromise? I have no interest in IPOD video...strictly music.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Don't forget to check out Apple's refurb store if you're looking to save some money, they have some good deals.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    I like the free shipping and free engraving. Great gift idea.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2007
    That U2 model is a steal for $179. I actually have a $150 gift card sitting here un-used so am considering getting it for my bedroom i-radio. Although Steve if you want to PayPal me $120 I would sell you my $150 card since I don't really need another excuse to buy something. I got it free for Christmas from Ameritrade for being an APEX trader.

If you are interested PM me.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2007
    Since I never do any critical listening with mine I have found 160kbps AAC to be very adequate. Even on the rare occasion that I listen to it on one of the home systems it sounds fine. I really don't hear a difference between it and a CD unless I'm consciously trying to hear the difference.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    Thanks fellas for all the advice, I think I'll go w/256kbps and the shuffle. Appreciate the offer hockeyboy, just don't want to spend that much...
  • BottomFeeder
    edited December 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Since I never do any critical listening with mine I have found 160kbps AAC to be very adequate. Even on the rare occasion that I listen to it on one of the home systems it sounds fine. I really don't hear a difference between it and a CD unless I'm consciously trying to hear the difference.

Wow! Is it even legal to admit that? :D

I just got a cool Accurian Universal Docking station - nothing fancy, but it was on sale for 50% off - & I'm really surprised by how good my ipod sounds running through it. Yeah, I can easily tell the difference between it and a cd (everything's just quite a bit clearer w/a cd), but it really sounds good. Unless I'm doing critical listening, I'm down w/the ipod! For just cruising around the house music, it's great.

Sorry for the derail!
  • BottomFeeder
    edited December 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Thanks fellas for all the advice, I think I'll go w/256kbps and the shuffle. Appreciate the offer hockeyboy, just don't want to spend that much...

& Yes, go w/AAC. That's what I've heard is the best.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2007
    Does it have to be an iPod? You can get other brands flash memory players very cheap. I picked up a Sandisk Sansa (very easy to use, just drag and drop and also has more features than iPods) 4GB for 50$
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2007
    Wow! Is it even legal to admit that? :D

I just got a cool Accurian Universal Docking station - nothing fancy, but it was on sale for 50% off - & I'm really surprised by how good my ipod sounds running through it. Yeah, I can easily tell the difference between it and a cd (everything's just quite a bit clearer w/a cd), but it really sounds good. Unless I'm doing critical listening, I'm down w/the ipod! For just cruising around the house music, it's great.

Sorry for the derail!

That's the whole thing. Why would you ever want to critically listen to an iPod? It is either for car use or background noise. Why waste a ton of hard-drive space unless you are constantly using it as a main source.
    ledhed wrote: »
    Does it have to be an iPod? You can get other brands flash memory players very cheap. I picked up a Sandisk Sansa (very easy to use, just drag and drop and also has more features than iPods) 4GB for 50$

That is actually a good point. For ultra small units I too would recommend something along the lines of a Sandisk or iRiver. You can usually get just as much if not more space than a Shuffle, plus you get a screen. I have an older iRiver that I've had for years, and it doesn't miss a beat. Plus I honestly think it sounds a little better than my iPod. :eek:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    My whole 2ch rig revolves around my iPod so I "played it safe" and went lossless. Definatey can hear the difference between lossless and 192kbps, it's not even remotely close.

In the end it's all just a matter of personal preference and what suites your needs. If 128 sounds good to you, use it....you'll be able to get alot more songs on it.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    You've got a gig of space Steve, even at 256 you'll get more than enough music for a plane flight, workout, road trip, what have you. I rip at 192, and lot of stuff I already had is at 128 to 256 - and I find the quality perfectly acceptable for the intended use. For me, it seems to involve the encoder used much moreso than the bitrate.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2007
    GO HIGHER MUCH HIGHER at least 256 if not 512
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    80gb iPod and I use Apple Lossless for conversion (better not say for what or big brother will be after me :( ). To me the apple lossless transfer sounds very good, and with 80gb I don't worry about space. I download movies from Netflix when I am going to be on long flights.

I just bought this cool Marantz docking station that outputs the video via S-Video connection. I can now take music to my system at the farm, with the S-Video hooked to my TV so I can watch a movie and the analog outs hooked to my Marantz 2270B receiver. It actually sounds pretty good!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    I grabbed a shuffle. This little thing sounds great through my Grado SR60's with 256kbps transfers. This is strictly a convenience thing--wont be used as a source in the big system, so I'm not looking to split hairs with fidelity. 22 songs isn't even using a tenth of it's capacity...cool.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2008
    Awesome Steve, I knew you'd dig it.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I grabbed a shuffle. This little thing sounds great through my Grado SR60's with 256kbps transfers. This is strictly a convenience thing--wont be used as a source in the big system, so I'm not looking to split hairs with fidelity. 22 songs isn't even using a tenth of it's capacity...cool.

You and Bev need to come by soon and you can check out my iPod with all Lossless on the big system.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    I bet it sounds pretty good--I hooked up the shuffle on the patio rig, it sounded better than XM, that's for sure!
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Wes, Can you explain the steps so that I can get my CD's into my ipod as lossless?

Thanks,

Sal

If you use Itunes, go to "EDIT"-->Prefrences-->the Advanced tab under "Importing" and select "Apple Lossless."
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, Steve. Sorry I didn't get to this until now, Sal.

If you don't use iTunes (and I'm not sure how you would) I have no idea.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2008
    This might be a stupid question, but how do you change the bit rate to the Ipod? I hear some people talking about getting better sound quality - is that something you do through I Tunes or the actual I pod? Thaks in advance for the help.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    EDIT-->Preferences-->Advanced-->Importing--Import using: (select a codec to use)
    Then select your desired bit rate in the next box marked "settings"
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, steve. Next question, does it matter which option I use to import the music? IE does one sound better than the others? Thanks again.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4