Yet another new guy

station10fd
station10fd Posts: 45
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
About 6 months ago I made a purchase on a pair of monitor 70's. I thought I would never spend 700 dollars on a pair of speakers, and I figured it would give me the ulimate home theater set up. Then I found the polk audio forum. Well, it's been a slippery downhill path every since. I've learned that my system is pretty meek, and a little voice in the back of my head is saying "buy more, buy more".
So, a few month ago, after reading and reading on this forum, I discovered amplifiers. I learned that there is more than a reciever to a system. I came across an adcom 5500 on ebay for a pretty good price. HOLY CRAP, I cant believe the difference it made on the 70's, and I was hooked.
My wife would like to thank ya'll for the countless dollars I'm spending on audio equipment now. One of these days maybe I'll have a system worth bragging on.
It's not often you come across a forum that you can call family. I've noticed that most members of this forum take care of each other. Even though fights do go on, most are resolved, and no hard feelings are retained, and the brotherhood is resolved. Kinda reminds me of my work place. Bake 'em a pie and things are all good.
I started a sonosub project a few weeks ago, and I really want to start a thread in the DIY section. I've done countless hours of research, but still have a few questions on tuning.
Well, that's about it. My knowledge of audio stuff if very limited, but maybe I can contribute something in the future.

Mike T.
Post edited by station10fd on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the club Mike. If you think your system is not worth bragging about try and compare it to what some of your neighbors have. You may be surprised. Enjoy.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2007
    welcome to C P :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Welcome, post more, eh?

If I could give you just a bit of advice....don't get TOO wrapped around the axle about what others have and trying to keep up, if YOU enjoy it, that's all that matters.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the club.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Welcome, post more, eh?

If I could give you just a bit of advice....don't get TOO wrapped around the axle about what others have and trying to keep up, if YOU enjoy it, that's all that matters.

BDT

Well said.

Welcome to the forum Mike! :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Welcome!!!

P.S. What kind of pie can you bake??

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • station10fd
    edited December 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Welcome to the club Mike. If you think your system is not worth bragging about try and compare it to what some of your neighbors have. You may be surprised. Enjoy.

yep, come movie night, the folks come to my house for a little projector action and wall shakin'
  • station10fd
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Welcome!!!

P.S. What kind of pie can you bake??

I didn't think it would take long for someone to catch on to that. But in all seriousness, working around the firehouse, you have to learn how to cook. Cherry pie is my specialty, with crust from scratch also :D

Mike T.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    A My knowledge of audio stuff if very limited, but maybe I can contribute something in the future.

Mike T.

hang around bud, it won't be limited long.

I second what Troy says, what other people have isn't as important as digging what you have. seems like what you got will knock 99% of your neighbors theaters into the dirt. the number of peole that bring this hobby to neurotic levels are few and far between.

this hobby is waaay more about the journey than it is the destination.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the club!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Welcome and I'm sorry in advance.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    Welcome aboard! Loads of great folk and life is definitely not boring around here.....
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Welcome and I'm sorry in advance.

you should be! :p;):)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited December 2007
    Welcome,feel free to chime in whenever.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited December 2007
    Welcome aboard... you'll not learn much, hate everyone and end up wishing you had never stumbled upon the Polk speaker emblem! Besides that, you'll love every minute!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk Mike.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited December 2007
    Welcome, I'm off to tingle. ;)
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2007
    Welcome aboard. - Enjoy the journey and take your time getting there....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • station10fd
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice..........................now, out to the garage to work some more on the sonosub
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Welcome Mike. . . BTW I don't know anyone here who has a $22K amp. If there is a memeber with such and amp I hope he lives close by me.
  • lantastik
    lantastik Posts: 10
    edited December 2007
    Welcome from a fellow new guy.
    Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Onkyo TX-SR804
    F: Monitor 70s, C: CS2, R: Monitor 40s
    Klipsch Synergy-12 Subwoofer
  • benblack0000
    benblack0000 Posts: 20
    edited December 2007
    I too am a noob. But that doesn't mean my 15TL's Rock any less
    My Rig
    Sony TAE 9000ES Preamp
    Sony TAN 9000ES Amp
    1 pr Polk RTA-15TL (mains)
    1 Polk CS-1000P (center)
    1 pr Klipsch WS-24 (rears)
    Velodyne FSX-12 (sub)
    Kimber ICs
    69" Widescreen Sony VPL-VW60 projection system
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to CP Ben.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2