Installers.Good Investment or waste of money?

liv4fam
liv4fam Posts: 311
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I was just wondering what some of your views are on Custom A/V installers.

Waste of money or Good Investment?

What do you think about the knowledge of Installers?
Know what they are talking about or full of CRAP?

Do you think there is a need for us to run wires or can any **** do that?

How about speaker placement? Do we know it or do we just put them wherever?

This is for Mantis and I so let er' rip.:p
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    I have a good question.

How many think that these are completely loaded questions?

*yawn*

I can run wire. I can read, and I know where to put speakers so that they sound good to ME.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited November 2002
    Aye.....
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Boy, are we begging for a pissing match?

Pass.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    edited November 2002
    Depends, doesn't it.

What are your views on...say a plumber? Do you think there is a need for them to run the pipes or can any **** do that? How about toilet placement? Do they know it or do you just place it anywhere?

I don't know about you, but placing those toilets in the right place is high on my list!;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited November 2002
    lol heres how i feel if i (a 13 year old) can figure it out....NEONE can...lol, i ran the wire, cut the wire, set it all up, placed them...etc...no help...one of the easiest things i ever done..y would i need someone to do it for me? lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2002
    Invest knowledge in your "hobbie". Research (your on a computer) DIY Take more pride if u do it yourself. If not I cost about $100 an hour. I be hooking ya up!!!!:lol:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by phuz
    I have a good question.

How many think that these are completely loaded questions?

*yawn*

I can run wire. I can read, and I know where to put speakers so that they sound good to ME.

Pass. . .

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    I for one would like to get you guys true feeling about this.Alot of times I was told that being an Installer means little......That kinda hurts.......to be honest.I take great pride in my work.

I learned so much from being an Installer.The training is golden.We get to go to places like CEDIA....Private company training,Private company shows...dealers only.Stuff I would have never been a part of if I was still just a customer and hobbiest.There are really good benifits being an Installer.I got to fly out to B&K and watch Pre amps/amps and receivers being built from scratch.Learned all about B&K from the engineers who make this stuff.Was able to become one voice in a quest of better understanding there customers needs/wants.Such a learning experience....hanging out with a bunch of engineers(which are some wacked out cool **** people).

Flying out to Elan....learning all about there stuff, where they are going, why they do what they do.......see there stuff being build.Meeting there engineers......such cool stuff guys....I could go on and on.........like seeing satuff not out on the market......seeing it a year and a half ago and then finally seeing perfected and released to the public.

You know I do get the feeling like some of you don't like us because we are Installers........and feel we parade around here(all kidding aside)like we are superior to all of you guys.....this mentality is not practiced here........we do get to play with gear alot more then the average guy.We get alot of experience with alot of different rooms,layouts,peoples needs,placement,what works with what and what don't.....see HDTv develop......DVD grow more and more each day.Get to learn about all the newest and coolest stuff coming to the market.

Pass all the pointless debates about who's right / wrong and why,I feel if my experiences can help anyone of you guys...that makes me happy.I don't want to be looked at as a know it all, because the truth is, I really don't.I just try to learn as much as possible each day I go to work,come in here to learn on my own gear.I also know alot of you guys rather e mail me instead of writing on the forum to avoid a pissing match...I welcome all of you to beabler to E amil me anytime with anything I can try to help you with...I love it...But one thing I have learned from other members in here is that all of these experiences should be shared on the forum.......for everyone to read .......add there opnions to them.

I just want to take a moment to say to all of you.......don't be afraid to post anything thats on your mind.....I don't think anyone in here is remotely colse to being stupid.....nieve maybe but not stupid.I'd like to see this forum grow.it does everyday.I learned alot being in here for all these years.......have you????I did.
    Dan
    In Home Audio and Video Installer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    I do it all myself, why? Because half the fun of this hobby is building it, wiring it, setting it up, DIY'ing it, tweaking it and even playing with it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Hey Dan. I have nothing against installers, and as it has been said installers are needed for those custom jobs etc.

I don't have a problem with you personaly either. I have learned stuff from you, some directly and some indirectly. ;)

If anyone has a problem with you, it's not because you are an installer. I think what little issues there are, they have already been hinted at and even laid out str8 up for ya by some of the other members here. I don't think it's an issue with knowledge or experience, I think it's with the delivery.

This is coming from a former newbie/outsider who walked into this mess right in the middle. :P
  • capitan100
    capitan100 Posts: 172
    edited November 2002
    i think it all depends on the person. i am a do it yourselfer, so i enjoy stuff like that. there is a majority of people who don't have the knowledge nor time to do it, so i think installers are perfect for them.
    Home Theater
    Sony DA7ES 7.1 A/V Receiver
    Sony DVP-NC80V - SACD/DVD player
    CS400 - Center channel
    RT2000i - Fronts
    RT1000i - Surrounds
    a/d/s MS3/u - subwoofer
    Hitachi 62 inch HD TV

2 Channel Room
    Niles HDL-4 Speaker Selector
    Niles HDL-6 Speaker Selector
    Sony V555ES receiver
    Sony DVP-S7700
    Polk SDA-2B
    Polk Monitor 5
    Thiel 03a
    B&W 2001 ZMF
    Signet SL-250 B/U
    a/d/s L400e
    Wharfedale Valdus 100SE
    Polk PSW 350 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite Big Screen
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Again a no brainer!
    If you can do it yourself and have the time, then go for it.

If you you would rather not learn or just don't have the time, hire someone to do it for you.

Case closed, this thread is now dead, lets move on to something important.

Thank you.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited November 2002
    i am a jack of all trades but i have not mastared any so far evept wireing i can do the ruff carpentry and the finish. i do drywall, pluming, electrical, tial, lighting and computer stuff i installed a network in the house did some structal remodles. finished off the basement and re moddled it twice installed new kitchen and a tile floor and a tile counter top and all the lighting and wireing in the ht. the olny thing i forgot to put in is some outlets for things like lamps or my comp but i am going to fix that
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Too much to think about. I never pay anyone to do something I can because I can't afford it. On the other hand I never get anything done because I'm too busy. Given the income I would hire an installer to get me started and then take it from there. For me it's a hobby but for some it is an addition to their home or lifestyle.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2002
    Coming from the sales side, I think installers are great, cuz then I don't have to spend two hours on the phone with someone that has no clue what they are doing! (unless the installer calls in, j/k!)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2002
    Loaded question or not, I don't think the answer is that controversial... installers are worth the money if you need them. These forums are definitely biased towards people who would do it themselves, so it shouldn't be a surprise if the overall feeling here is against installers.

We tend to take for granted information, knowledge and skills we possess. And we forget how completely clueless and hesitant others are who do not have the knowledge. I teach college courses heavy in math and can still be shocked/amazed at some people's lack of math skills and the basic horrific fear they have of math. I do a LOT of home improvement work, but I paid a plumber $70 yesterday to take care of a problem that I simply didn't want to handle - and wasn't sure I could handle.

So, installers are a requirement for those people with means who are interested in a good audio/video system but who don't have the skills (or perhps the time) to set it up. Installers are unnecessary to us audio heads who enjoy the labors to get to our fruits.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    mantis, thats a good post you made, there are people that need a installer and i know that you are a good one, because the post you make you know what you are going, my self i do everything myself, thats part of the hobby, i injoy it that way, and get it done my why. and i lean a lot from you and every one here. this is my favorte forum.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2002
    Just wondering,
    Lets say I want $5000 in equipment due to the description I give for my system. No construction work. What is the ballpark I would pay for someone to pick out the equipment, buy the stuff, set it up and show me how to use it?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D