Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited February 2008
    Its an awfully silly problem on such a high end 'theoretically' well designed woofer. If I break my third I'll be getting something else too...maybe CDT.
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited February 2008
    Ok upon further investigation my lead wire broke at the terminal block. I also noticed the insulation is cracked and bare wire is showing where it goes to the voice coil this is not good POLK. I beleive the lead wires are deffective or just plain cheap shame on you POLK AUDIO. I am running a single c500.1 to 2 SR124 svc so i know im not overpowering them, gains are set right I used a scope.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited February 2008
    That is the same problem I found on the last woofer. The insulation cracked off the leads at the point at which they enter the cone. The insulation seems to be rather hard and inflexible and I think it results in an open circuit failure. I really hope there is some sort of recall.
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Hello,

I have the same problem! :( two times the speaker stops playing because the lead between the terminal and voice coil snapped/de-soldered. The first time it was because the weak solder.. (POLK?? THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE!!!) Now it's broken again but at the other side of the lead..(conus) I can't repair the woofer and also a servicepiont here in the netherlands (MENO ESM) can't fix it becaus they need a new cone for it.

I send Polk Audio over and over many emails but no reaction.. I'ts a nice subwoofer but my trust for Polk Audio is gone! I tell anyone about this serious problem and I hope they get the message.

Polk you better give a good service! Here in the Netherlands we don't accept your kind of communication...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    This is not good POLK AUDIO these are the most expensive subs I have ever purchased and have turned out to be the most unreliable subs I have owned. I to have emailed POLK AUDIO several times with no response NOT GOOD!!!!! I hope they recognize there is a problem with the lead wires on these subs. If another one breaks I will be switching to JL and throw these in the trash.
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    greg2350 I feel your powerlessness and disappointment. Same for me.. No reaction from Polk.. My dad gets a special soldering iron from his work and also new wires and then he fix the speaker himself. I'm lucky he works for Pioneer as a engineer. But there is one promise I have to make... Sell the Polk and never buy Polk again!!

I like Pioneer a lot but they sell more SPL products.. I will go for the JL Audio 12W7.. I don't know what else I can get to have the deepest sound.

I hope my dad can fix the Polk tonight so I can test it and sell it for less. Polk it's about time you responde!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    Or maybe a Orion HCCA 12.4 but I think this is also more SPL..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the response kim but im getting a little tired of returning my subs only to get another one that eventually has the same problem. Just to clarify the sub is not blown the lead wire keeps breaking if you read this thread you will see others are having the same problem broken lead wire. Thanks again but no thanks I will be switching to JL subs at least I will have the peace of mind knowing the lead wire is not going to break. I love the sound of the sr's but im tired of returning them. Let me know when POLK AUDIO fixes the problem then maybe I will go back to the SR's.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Give Polk a chance to make it right. **** happens some times and some glitches can slip thru the cracks especially on the first run of a new line. Polk hasnt lasted 35 years by making shoddy gear and I dont doubt theyll get this squared away.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    MacLeod I will always be a loyal polk customer but after the 3rd sub and others reporting the same problem I just want to wait until they fix the problem before I keep sending my sub back and get another one to only have the same problem. I love the sound of these subs but to constantly breaking the lead wire there is a problem. Like I said before I have had many subs and have never had the leads break until now, I have burnt voice coils but never broken the lead wire. I will give polk a chance but until the problem is resolved im not going to keep sending them back every few months. Again I love polk and will always be a loyal customer but until this problem is resolved im forced to try some other subs.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Engineering Technical Services Manager Posts: 0
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys,
    Please call Kim @ Polk CS he would like to discuss the problem further.
    We work very hard to avoid such problems. ALL Polkaudio products are subjected to extensive testing during product development and throughout the product life. We WILL correct any issue that rears it's ugly head.

Len
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the response Len I will give kim a call and I would like to know what you mean by extensive testing. The longest I have had one last is 4 months and I dont abuse them this is at moderate volume levels. I have noticed the lead wire coming from the voice coil the insulation is cracked on both leads right where they leave the voice coil. The 2 I had break broke where they connect to the terminal block I resoldered but the wire kept breaking and evuntally the wire got 2 short to resolder. I am using a C500.1 running 2 SR124 SVC so I know im not overpowering and I set my gains using a oscciliscope so no clipping here, again thanks for the response. I hope we can get to the root of the problem because I love the sound of these subs and dont want to be forced to another brand, but will be if this problem doesnt get resolved.:):)
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    greg please let us know what happened, i also have a SR sub, and i dont want it to blow
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    I just spoke to kim on the phone he says they have found the cause of the problem and have fixed the issue. POLK is sending me 2 new subs WOW!!! awesome customer support thanks again kim he was great. If anyone else is experiencing this problem give kim a call and he will take care of you. Kudos to POLK AUDIO and kim.:):)
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited February 2008
    I knew I should have called earlier today! now I have to wait until next week. Thank God its been figured out.
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Engineering Technical Services Manager Posts: 0
    edited February 2008
    The subs don't blow !!!!!!!! No worry there, the failure involved the application of the insulation material used on the tinsel lead and has been resolved. :D
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited February 2008
    glad to hear the issue has been resolved :)
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    hey thats so cool kudos for polk
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • Bruizer
    Bruizer Posts: 27
    edited February 2008
    So, do all the SR subs up until now have this problem? Because I bought a pair of SR124-DVCs back in November and have had them in for about 2 months and haven't really started pushing them until recently (past week or so) and I'd hate to run into the same problem.
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    Bruizer I would give kim a call and have him check the serial numbers on your subs.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2008
    Bruizer wrote: »
    So, do all the SR subs up until now have this problem? Because I bought a pair of SR124-DVCs back in November and have had them in for about 2 months and haven't really started pushing them until recently (past week or so) and I'd hate to run into the same problem.

I was wondering the same thing. But I've had mine since the summer. I've pounded them a little bit and haven't had a problem yet.
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    Black magic take 1 of the subs out and check the insulation on the lead wires if you see any cracking I would say it was a matter of time before it breaks. If you dont see any cracks I would say you were safe. Mine started cracking about 2 to 3 months into use light use.:)
  • greg2350
    edited February 2008
    Received my 2 new subs today the insulation does look different. Thanks to POLK AUDIO for correcting the problem and taking care of me. Thanks to kim great to deal with I challenge any company to beat POLK AUDIO customer service top notch again THANKS.:):)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Told ya so! ;)

Cant beat Polk customer service - period!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2008
    greg2350 wrote: »
    Received my 2 new subs today the insulation does look different. Thanks to POLK AUDIO for correcting the problem and taking care of me. Thanks to kim great to deal with I challenge any company to beat POLK AUDIO customer service top notch again THANKS.:):)

It would be great if you could snap a couple of pics (in macro mode) of the "newer, improved" insulation for those given "the fear" from this thread :D.

I pulled my SR124 DVC out of the car and it's enclosure to have a look-see based on the contents of this thread. I was relieved to find no sign of cracked insulation, or damage of any kind at the terminal block. I had some issues (and still do unfortunately) after installing my SR sub, but I'm confident they relate to my amplifier and not the Polk driver- I connected my previous sub and the problem remains.

My SR124 has seen medium duty- not driven too hard, but has had it's useable limits tested...mostly because I don't like blowing stuff up and then having to spend money replacing things. I've attached pics of my example after 8 months of "normal" usage in a sealed enclosure with less than the maximum continuous power it's rated for.

I'd be interested in finding out if my SR is an early version or one made after the problem was identified, so any light you could shed on that would be appreciated.
  • moreyb22
    moreyb22 Posts: 9
    edited February 2008
    I had the same problem so I contacted polk directly and they told my 1.00 cu.ft. box(per chamber) I had my subs in was to small. Apparently when playing at high levels the lack of airspace creates such a strain that the wires connected to the voice coils will burn up or seperate which is what happened to me.