2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    Perfect example.....VINYL KOOLAID

You're certainly drinking the same flavor. Vinyl as a solution? LOL

Why don't you just suggest a shotgun in the mouth?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't say I've lost interest. I've just lost interest in upgrading. I'm happy with where my system is, and am content to do as I am now, and just listen. No tweaking, or wishing for better. I know there's better, but I like what I have. I'm even still running sl2000 tweeters in my SDAs. Thought about upgrading, but that's $200 I'd rather put towards the house.

I guess you could say I refocused myself when I bought the house. And this spring I plan on buying a motorcycle, so that'll refocus even more.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    I suggest that you lie down and rest until the urge comes back.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited December 2007
    I guess it's time to stock up on **** and booze?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited December 2007
    Oddly enough

My system is where I want it

And the odder thing is, ever since I got this 80 gig Zune, I havnt even used the Shanling... (havnt had time to really sit down and listen)...

To sleep I go
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    How much for the Shandling, Trey?;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Well, you get to a certain level and there isn't much point in spending money without being a pure lateral move. That's where I'm at........I find MUCH more enjoyment looking for music these days.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,575
    edited December 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    How much for the Shandling, Trey?;)

Hehe....

Im playing the Zune at louder volumes and its a very impressive little unit

Dosnt quite have the magic of my Shanling -- but definitely enjoyable
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    I've been in this "no significant upgrade" place for quite some time. My last real gear purchase was a year ago from Troy and it was a modded version of a CDP I already own un-modded (is that a word?). My last speaker purchase was two and a half years ago when I bought my 1Cs from Doro.

I have a couple of things I might get. I've considered a Rotel RCC-1055 CD changer as it has been on my radar for quite some time. I have also condsidered upgrading to a Clearaudio Bluemotion TT. Neither piece of gear is something I just have to have...but something on my wishlist.

I'm even to the point of slowing down on my music purchases. I have so much now that I really can't listen to all of it on any sort of regular basis. I have just about everything from past releases that I really want. I still look for new stuff coming out or I'm open to new artists I'm not familiar with that really "hit the spot" but I am now much more selective in what music I buy.

IMO it really is a good place to be.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    After about 6 years of constantly buying audio gear, I have lost all desire to upgrade. Is this temporary? Is there an antidote? What should I do? Someone please help.

This happened to a buddy of mine once. He lost all interest audio. The next week his **** fell off. Your case might be differrent though. :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    This happened to a buddy of mine once. He lost all interest audio. The next week his **** fell off. Your case might be differrent though. :D

Too late. Wife has it along with the matching balls.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    Got Tubes ?!!

:D

It is fun to "find your sound"....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited December 2007
    I badly want to be done. I spend too much time looking at these forums, looking at 3000 post threads at avsforum, then crosschecking what I have learned across 5 other forums. It is tiresome. I am tired. I am officially done....
    Just need one last thing, and that is it....
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • sbpolk
    edited December 2007
    sbpolk wrote: »
    I badly want to be done. I spend too much time looking at these forums, looking at 3000 post threads at avsforum, then crosschecking what I have learned across 5 other forums. It is tiresome. I am tired. I am officially done....
    Just need one last thing, and that is it....

Having said that, I think I am obsessed! there was a period of about two years where I was content. I liked what I had, and had what I wanted. Then I started building my dedicated theater, and now I am in an endless gear swap mode!

Really, someone please buy my Emotiva DMC-1 in the FM, so I can get the replacement, and really be done. Seriously. For my sanity. And my wife's.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    You know it's time to stop buying stuff when you re-purchase gear you had before because it sounds better than what you have now.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    Maybe you are looking for some quality in particular and not finding it? I did that for awhile. Recently I've found a different way to look at audio. Take each piece for what its worth, not what I want it to be. It seems to help.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited December 2007
    No doubt it's cyclical. Forget about this stuff for a while and return with a vengeance.

I do the same thing with playing guitar.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,984
    edited December 2007
    Now Early, you do have to make the choice between 2-channel and HT. Once you make the decision, never look back. I feel your decision has been made reading your posts, no?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Now Early, you do have to make the choice between 2-channel and HT. Once you make the decision, never look back. I feel your decision has been made reading your posts, no?

I chose an integrated system. I have a CDP and DVDP. The amp can be shared, so the only thing left is the pre. Right now I'm sharing the pre, as well. The only other "upgrade" I have considered is a 2-channel pre, but I can definitely do without it.

• jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited December 2007
    I can relate to losing the urge. I've been there for a few months until recently. I had even stopped checking the forum for days at a time.

All that has passed as I'm putting together a 2 channel bedroom rig with the Cambridge integrated that I purchased from Gaara. Since it's also the source of sound for the TV I'm thinking I may want to replace the current JVC DVD player and Sony CD player with a universal like the Cambridge DVD89 and the Monitor 10s with LSi 7s or LSi 9s.

Anyway, as everyone else said, it comes and goes. Be happy with what you have for a while and when the bug bites again you'll be ready.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    OK, it's 4 months later and I got the urge again. It's a small urge, but an urge nonetheless. I miss the magic, so I'm gonna make a couple of "minor" (i.e., relatively low cost) purchases in the next few weeks, then the upgrade urge will be satisfied (I hope).

• sbpolk
    edited April 2008
    'cha gonna get, early? ;)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    OK, it's 4 months later and I got the urge again.

4 months later? Didn't you buy some subs last month, and ambient tweeters last week?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    4 months later? Didn't you buy some subs last month, and ambient tweeters last week?

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those things. Impulse buys, both of them.

OK, I went three months.:p:D:p

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited April 2008
    After about 6 years of constantly buying audio gear, I have lost all desire to upgrade. Is this temporary? Is there an antidote? What should I do? Someone please help.

I'm there too bud. I am really happy with what I've got for the first time ever. It sounds exactly the way I want it too and it would be foolish to mess with it.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones