Any New Year's Resolutions?

2»

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Quit smoking is easy if you make the decision to quit. I've done it three times.

After 30 years of smoking I first quit on Labor day 2005. I was surprised how easy it was for me. After six months, I started smoking again. I figured if it was so easy, I could quit anytime I wanted, right?
    I quit again on January 2007. This time I went smoke free for a little over three months.
    Then I quit again on Labor day, so next week it will be four months smoke free.

Will this be it? Who knows.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to work hard to cut soft drinks out of my diet completely in 2008. I am definitely addicted at this point; I don't feel "right" until I've had my syrupy, caffeine/sugar combo in the morning (which just isn't right.) I also like my teeth, and would prefer them to stay in my head, so I am doubly motivated to give them up this year.

Quitting smoking was one of my more difficult achievements period. And I don't blame you for waiting until you're "ready" big blue. I tried to quit about 4 times before I really wanted to. Once that desire to quit really kicked in, I was successful (thanks in part to the patch.)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited December 2007
    I always resolve to not make any resolutions.Kinda like don't make promises you can't keep thing.
    Most don't quit smoking until their health tells them to.Staying above ground is a good reason when faced with that decision.What am I waiting for ? No health issues to give me that kick in the **** I need,I guess.But when the time comes,I am sure I will cross that bridge.Funny thing is,I know soo many who stopped,and all these health issues pop up after they quit.Go figure......
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited December 2007
    I resolve to put in the work and practice needed to beat my 15 yr old boy at Madden 08.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    I always resolve to not make any resolutions.Kinda like don't make promises you can't keep thing.
    Most don't quit smoking until their health tells them to.Staying above ground is a good reason when faced with that decision.What am I waiting for ? No health issues to give me that kick in the **** I need,I guess.But when the time comes,I am sure I will cross that bridge.Funny thing is,I know soo many who stopped,and all these health issues pop up after they quit.Go figure......

I guess I am lucky, since I have no health issues associated to smoking (At least they have not shown). I quit because I know it's bad. And I can tell you that quitting will make you realize how bad it is for your health, just by how good you feel ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Quit smoking is easy if you make the decision to quit. I've done it three times.

After 30 years of smoking I first quit on Labor day 2005. I was surprised how easy it was for me. After six months, I started smoking again. I figured if it was so easy, I could quit anytime I wanted, right?
    I quit again on January 2007. This time I went smoke free for a little over three months.
    Then I quit again on Labor day, so next week it will be four months smoke free.

Will this be it? Who knows.

Supposedly, and I got this from a "quit smoking" support group, most people who quit smoking are successful on the fourth attempt.

BTW I didn't use the support group because they just seemed like a bunch of cornballs to me. . . just my opinion.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    No disrespect Ricardo, what you've done is very admirable, but one could suggest you've never really quit yet. You've just had dry/clean time.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    You can say that about anything.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    I quit saying, "Digital Sucks." Does that count?:D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    Starting January, discretional spending will be at a minimum for me. I have cards to pay off, which I have been doing slowly. My goal is to get a good part of it paid down by spring, and have money saved to do projects on the house this spring.

On my list for spring:

Fence along the side of my property that borders the alleyway - around $500 if I do it myself
    New windows in several bad spots around the house - $1500 for 9 windows if I do it myself
    Repair/replace the roof over my kitchen - unknown cost... the whole structure of the roof needs to be replaced.
    Possibly repair/replace the back porch... it could need to be torn off altogether
    New gutter/downspouts/flashing/soffit all the way around the house

That should keep me busy and my wallet empty... Hence why I need to get my Home Depot card paid off, as well as several other smaller accounts so that I have my credit built back up in time :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    Forgot that I need to finish my bathroom project first. I need to mud/tape, prime, paint, install the vanity and medicine cabinet, then finish with crown molding and fixtures. The shower and toilet are already in and being used... but I ran out of time/money.

A big help would be finding a higher-paying full time job. Something that would equal about what I'm making between my full and part-time jobs now, while still being able to retain my part-time for even more cash. Someday, it'll happen I'm sure.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2007
    I am going to quit taunting tigers at the zoo.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    I am going to quit taunting tigers at the zoo.

LOL!