Any New Year's Resolutions?

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just curious.

Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited December 2007
    I have to get better grades...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Resolutions, rules & records are meant to be BROKEN!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    Can't remember last years, I see no point in doing one this year.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    Start tapping into that 6 figure range.

I think moving out of mom's basement might be a little more attainable, no? ;)

None here, I never stick to them anyway. Quitting smoking is my biggie, health and money wise.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    I usually resolve to make no resolutions. I think that's what I'm goin' for this year too. I usually reach that goal so it works for me.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited December 2007
    Drink more beer. I've been really lax lately and I need to get off my **** and suck it up (no pun intended) :cool:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I think moving out of mom's basement might be a little more attainable, no? ;)

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.
  • acsubie
    acsubie Posts: 773
    edited December 2007
    after quitting smoking for 2 years picked up the nasty habit again for the last 3 months, definitely gonna quit again
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    To stop buying so much audio gear so that I can afford more audio gear. :D

Wait, that doesn't......
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2007
    Smoking, smoking, smoking. The one thing that i really need to quit.
    Haha the 1st is gonna be a tough day.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2007
    Poee7R wrote: »
    Smoking, smoking, smoking. The one thing that i really need to quit.
    Haha the 1st is gonna be a tough day.

Dave

Talk to your MD about Chantix. Chantix kicks ****.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    Screw drugs. Quit cold turkey, it's the one method most likely to work, usually because you have the right intentions. I smoked for almost 10 years and decided I really didn't want to smoke anymore because I was sick of feeling like **** and just gave it up. Stay out of bars for a while all together at first. I'd say a few months, at least. Get out and exercise a little bit and you won't want to smoke anymore knowing how much better you feel.

Anyhow, as far as resolutions, they're pretty much crap (as I have said every year). If you got something you want to do/stop the best thing is to do/stop it when you're ready rather than when a calender date rolls around. Having the right intent truly is half the battle, in my experience. Anything else usually leads to failure over time.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    To stop buying audio gear :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Screw drugs. Quit cold turkey, it's the one method most likely to work, usually because you have the right intentions. I smoked for almost 10 years and decided I really didn't want to smoke anymore because I was sick of feeling like **** and just gave it up. Stay out of bars for a while all together at first. I'd say a few months, at least. Get out and exercise a little bit and you won't want to smoke anymore knowing how much better you feel.

Anyhow, as far as resolutions, they're pretty much crap (as I have said every year). If you got something you want to do/stop the best thing is to do/stop it when you're ready rather than when a calender date rolls around. Having the right intent truly is half the battle, in my experience. Anything else usually leads to failure over time.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Normally I'm not a huge fan of depending on drugs to help stop smoking, although, overall they tend to help. Anyways, I've personally seen Chantix help a lot of my own patients stop smoking relatively quickly. Its very impressive.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    My goal this year is to stop buying so much stuff I don't need. I've become an accessory hound. For example: I used to be happy to buy a new camera. Now I have to have the big memory stick, the extra lenses, a bag to keep it in, a bag to carry it around in, a printer to print pics, extra power supply, extra memory stick, a digital picture frame, extra cards to put different pics on, a ups to keep the picture frame operational in a power loss situation... etc etc, well you get the point.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I'm not a smoker myself, but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Normally I'm not a huge fan of depending on drugs to help stop smoking, although, overall they tend to help. Anyways, I've personally seen Chantix help a lot of my own patients stop smoking relatively quickly. Its very impressive.

I understand the disagreement to an extent, but I smoked for 10 years and quit without the need of any drugs. I know, good for me, right? Everyone is different. I have watched friends take the drugs (including Chantix, and the statistically less effective Zyban) and in every case it's just been a drawn out and even more expensive option since most insurance plans don't cover it and ended up smoking again.

If you truly want to quit you can quit on your own. I firmly believe it, and yes, it's an addiction. You'll be a grouchy **** for a month or more, but it's the most fail safe way to quit smoking. The physical addiction isn't nearly as hard to overcome as your own personal mental hurdles telling yourself you just don't need it, which I think if you haven't done on your own you're not ready to quit. I know Chiantix jacks with your brain to block the cravings, but it's not a magic bullet.

Besides, when quitting on my own I didn't have any of the following:

Nausea
    Sleep disorder
    Gas
    Sleeplessness
    Constipation
    Headache
    Loss of taste
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2007
    Well I do agree that the desire to quit is a requirement. You're hosed if you don't at least want to stop.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2007
    Same resolutions each year....

- Lose weight/get into shape
    - Spend less money and pay down credit card bills
    - Save money
    - Find another/better paying job
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Where do I begin....

My biggest one is to not be single again next holiday season starting with Thanksgiving. I knew it's sorta out of my control and totally relies on who I meet, but I can still do things like going out more often and being more social at work, etc.

I am sick and tired of going through the holiday season single....it's just not fun.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    If you truly want to quit you can quit on your own. I firmly believe it, and yes, it's an addiction. You'll be a grouchy **** for a month or more, but it's the most fail safe way to quit smoking. The physical addiction isn't nearly as hard to overcome as your own personal mental hurdles telling yourself you just don't need it, which I think if you haven't done on your own you're not ready to quit.

Gotta completely agree with Demi here. I smoked for about five years through college, which I know isn't much to some of you "lifers", but it's enough to develop a pretty good addiction, lemme tell you.

Several times I tried to quit, each time setting a date for myself, and smoking like a fiend up to that magical day where I said I'd stop. Not once did that work.

What did work? One random day, when I wasn't even really thinking about quitting, I was r unning up the stairs to work. And was completely winded at the top. And as I was gasping in breath, I caught a whiff of cigarette smoke, and said, quite simply, "**** this." It was like a switch flicked, and I was suddenly repulsed with smoking and myself for doing it for so long. I didn't set a date, I just never touched a cigarette again (aside for maybe a half dozen random heavy drinking incidents over the years).

When you set a date to do something and then binge on that thing going up to that date you're not doing yourself any favors. You're reinforcing that the thing you're giving up is something you love and HAVE to begrudgingly give up. You're much better somehow really convincing yourself that what you're giving up is really not something you want at ALL, and dropping it instantly and without a drop of regret.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Shizelbs
    edited December 2007
    All I know is that Chantix has helped some very heavy smokers I know get through the first three months with very sudden and suprising results.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    acsubie wrote: »
    after quitting smoking for 2 years picked up the nasty habit again for the last 3 months, definitely gonna quit again

I'm going on two years without and I couldn't even think about going back. My wife still smokes and it really stinks . . . yuckooooooo!!! I hope you can quit again, it is really hard the second time around . . . I speak from experience. I'm pulling for you.

Russ it's a lot easier to pull off in your thirties. If you wait till your 50s it is a real **** to put them down.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Well I do agree that the desire to quit is a requirement. You're hosed if you don't at least want to stop.

The last two 1/2 years (40 year habit), I was smoking not wanting to smoke. It made me feel dizzy, nauseous, achy, plus I had developed chronic bronchitis which caused me lung pain, and asthma like symptoms. I used to smoke a Kool Mild 100 in four drags. That's how big the drags I took were. Two packs a day.

After 2 1/2 years of that torture, one day (March 29th 2006) I woke up and said, "I'm not smoking anymore" and just stopped. The coolest thing was I didn't have any urge to smoke. I was sick for about a week though.

I'M TELLING YOU, IF I CAN QUIT ANYONE CAN!!!

I did have one side effect of quiting smoking; I GAINED FRIGGIN 70 LBS.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    No resolution this year but I am going on a diet January 2nd. People are starting to follow me around on a sunny day to get some shade.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    To stop spending so much money on women...
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    My only resolution is to recognize the mistakes I made in 2007 and not repeat them. Sometimes you learn the hard way.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    I resolve to find the "Right "tubes for all my gear...:D

and to find the "right" speaker to go with them tubes ...!!!

:cool:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    I resolve to find the "Right "tubes for all my gear...:D

and to find the "right" speaker to go with them tubes ...!!!

When you do, please let me know as I've become addicted to tubes!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    All I know is that Chantix has helped some very heavy smokers I know get through the first three months with very sudden and suprising results.
    I'm going on two years without and I couldn't even think about going back. My wife still smokes and it really stinks . . . yuckooooooo!!! I hope you can quit again, it is really hard the second time around . . . I speak from experience. I'm pulling for you.
    Demiurge wrote:
    If you truly want to quit you can quit on your own. I firmly believe it, and yes, it's an addiction. You'll be a grouchy **** for a month or more, but it's the most fail safe way to quit smoking. The physical addiction isn't nearly as hard to overcome as your own personal mental hurdles telling yourself you just don't need it, which I think if you haven't done on your own you're not ready to quit. I know Chiantix jacks with your brain to block the cravings, but it's not a magic bullet.

What's amazing about the wonder drug nicotine is that you're all correct.

I smoked for 15 years, quit for a dozen years, than started smoking again about 10 years ago.

There's a gal at my day job who's opinion I respect a ton; she first clued me onto Chantix. She has several friends who were "fiends" who, with the aid of Chantix, quit cold turkey withOUT withdrawal symptoms, including big weight gains.

Researched Chantix and it does have a significant success rate (40 % ?) versus placebos.
    Are there cases where monstrous side-effects show up ? Yes, but they are relatively few compared to the guaranteed side-effects of continuing to smoke (cancer, etc).

Even went to the doctor :eek: and spoke to him about Chantix and got a prescription :eek: for it.
    I didn't fill it. Yet.

Will I ? Yeah.
    What am I waiting for ? I don't know. :confused:

The first time I quit, I tapered down from 2 1/2 packs a day of Kools down to a pack a day of Carltons. One night, on an evening shift, I finally had an epiphany moment and, not unlike Joe, said: "That's it". Called home, told them to toss my smokes, and that was it.

The trip this time, though, is going to be made using Chantix.

It's the easiest thing in the world to do, it's the hardest thing in the world to do. Done it before, and I'll do it again.

I do get a kick out of the "health programs" that are offered through health insurance programs.
    "We have a hotline number for you to call to speak with a representative to help you through your quitting stage !".

Oh, yeah, that and the address of the **** Easter Bunny ought to do me some good. :rolleyes:

(and pardon my French)

I personally believe everyone's responsible for their actions.
    But ..... being as all the states have received BIG money from the tobacco companies ("No, we don't believe nicotine is addictive, Congressman") in their lawsuit settlements, it is a gripe of mine that most of that money has gone for BS stuff.

"We've implimented education programs to reduce the number of people smoking, .... yada yada yada".
    TRANSLATION
    "My brother-in-law runs a print shop, and he prints up a big stack of brochures once in a while, and my niece Suzy answers the Hotline phone which is nice, 'cause she really likes to talk on the phone .... yada yada ".

But you 3 are all correct; bottom line, if you can quit, quit cold turkey, and Chantix can make the quitting process easier and more successful.

Now .... where the hell's my smokes ?
    Sal Palooza
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    I was like Joe, I woke up one day and just said to myself i'm no longer smoking. I will be hitting the one year mark in about 10 days. This is the only resolution ive kept. I gained 50 pounds so my goal is to go to the gym and get in shape this year.