Has Club Polk Taken It Up a Notch?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Been thinking about when I first came around 4 years ago, I'm wondering if Polkies were into tube gear, separates, vinyl, and 2-channel audio as much back then as we are now. I also wonder if there are more Polkies now who don't own Polk speakers as before.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I made this point in another thread.....the strides that the forum has made over the past couple of years has been stupendous.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    I made this point in another thread.....the strides that the forum has made over the past couple of years has been stupendous.

BDT

Troy -- why do you think this has occurred? Is it because of reduced prices for entry into a higher level of the game? Is it due to the influence of a few?

I wonder if other audio forums are traveling a similar road.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    I learned that Bose is best in my years here on the forum.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    I own more Polk speakers than ever. I have a dedicated 5.1 HT rig with 2 CS400's (rear centers) in storage to eventually bump it to 6.1. I also have a 2 channel rig (in storage right now). My 2 chan rig has a Dodd ELP (tube pre), Carver m1.5t amp and Polk SDA SRS 2.3's.

Really, had it not been for this forum, I doubt I would have taken things this far. The last 2-3 years have seen the most drastic changes and additions.

John
    No excuses!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    Polk is who got me started into audio, and this forum helped provide me with the knowledge and desire needed to try other brands - I'll continue to try different speakers and such, but I'll ALWAYS have a pair of Polks in the house.

I'd say the forum is more civil these days, but I miss guys like Bullwinkle - that was alot of fun. Guys like Spyderman just piss you off, but the whole Bullwinkle episode was classic!
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I'd say the forum is more civil these days,...

Blame it on cfrizz. She's been trying to drag all of you Neanderthals into the 21st century. :p

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Two steps forward in gear, one step backwards in community.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    I've been around almost 2 years. What this forum has primarily achieved is to peak my curiousity about audio and I've gone out to learn, research, listen, test, and develope my own opinions (and gear). Secondly, I've learned to wait patiently for deals (used, returns, out of business sales, clearance, etc).
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Guys like Chuck (madmax) were doing tubes and vinyl before they were 'cool' on the boards. I see some members diving off the deep end a little, and spending a lot more than they have too, but to each his own. Since there is no real measurement for the individual human experience of music reproduction - one can't make general statements as to what is best, and what isn't. I've touched the very beginning of high end, and find myself going back to a lovingly tweaked mid-fi and enjoying it so much more.

I do think fidelity has become the order of the day, and I like seeing members try more and more things in their search for their own sound.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    I started out with a pair of Rti6s and a Yammi AVR, now I can't even understand how I used to live that way. It's like anything else, you grow and mature as you gain wisdom and knowledge. I would love to see Polk make a true Full Range Lsi speaker. I would buy it in a heart beat!

I started out with the intent of making a good surround sound system, but many here helped me realize that doing so would sacrifice the sound quality that I determined to be of far greater value. This Polk forum helped me discover the kind of audiophile I want to be (or always was, depending on how you perceive it to be.) I feel much more a part of this community today than I ever have. This forum is a rare venue that I never expected to exist on the internet.

Mike
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I thought tubes were for tires
    Wires were wires
    My JVC 130wpc with low distortion was the bomb
    My Infinity's were were awesome
    Vinyl sucked:eek:
    A CD player was a CD player

Thanks to the Polkies who encouraged me to expand my horizons

All I want to know now is what does the "F" stand for 1nut?:p:D

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,444
    edited December 2007
    Fanatic......although these days it could stand for Fat. ;)

Actually, it's Formula One (F1)nut.

As for the thread topic, yeah some folks here have definitely taken it up a few notches.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    I got laughed at in a sense when I first came here and started my foray into home audio with a tube amp kit I built myself and a pair of KLH 17's I picked up from George Grand. Apparently they were once the ward of RuSsMaN who grew fond of the "Jungle Green" paint which they still have because I'm lazy and didn't do anything about changing it. But my comments as to the garishness of that paint apparently offended RuSsMaN's sesnsibilities (or lack thereof, depends on who's asking I guess). It wasn't until George Grand testified that that amp/speaker combo was indeed much more than it seemed did people start asking questions.

I don't think many people were into much beyond home theater. I mean the Car Audio section was a wasteland of unanswered questions and half-hearted attempts at conversation and there wasn't even a 2-channel forum IIRC.

Now look at where we are! Hall of Shame and everything! I should probably take credit where credit is due 'cause alot of my posts ended up in the Hall of Shame and it probably wouldn't be as extensive as it is now if it wasn't for an "****" with a "napoleon complex" like me.

Can you feel the love? I can! Well, maybe it's not love but I know I feel something!

I don't know if ClubPolk has really "taken it up a notch"? Maybe more like "kicking you in the crotch"? Or maybe Club Polk is just the innocent bystander and it should be more like "Club Polk! Taking it in the crotch since at least 2001...probably longer!" :p:D;)
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Two steps forward in gear, one step backwards in community.

I concur.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    You ought to, you are the step backwards.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Vinyl sucks
    Cables don't make a difference
    200wpc minimum
    Stay away from white van speakers
    Upgrade your crossovers in your SDA's
    Replace tweeters with Silk domes

That about right?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited December 2007
    lol, saw that one coming from a mile away...
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to thank F1nut. A long time ago he stated "A mind is like a parachute...". That gave me the kick I needed to actually try something(cables) instead of talking crap about something I knew nothing about. So I bought some PBJs on Ebay, and I was off. Also thanks to Venomclan, for bringing over his StraightWire EncoreII's for a spin. I have never looked back. Thanks H9 for the education on amplifiers both direct, and indirect. Thanks to Joe for being a good friend with straight up advice, and support. Thanks Darla for fixing a big problem in my personal life. I know I am leaving a bunch of you guys out, but this isn't the academy awards get over it:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Don't let him fool ya' Ben. On other boards he's actually using his member name for what he's in search of......:p
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    When first arriving on this forum, Mr. Gates used to purchase $15 cd players, $15 cassette decks, and $35 receivers from me. Have certain people made strides you ask?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    I know I've picked up a lot of good advice here over the last few years.
    I went to listen to a pair of B&W 683's driven by all Rotel gear the other day.
    Sounded like crap. I guess my 2 channel setup has gotten to the point where moving
    up is gonna cost some bucks. Thanks club Polk! Now I'll have to rob my kid's college money.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    ROTFLMAO!!!!:D

And you all have been kicking & screaming every step of the way!!!:eek::p

Those that refuse to come are on my ignore list. Some have matured & grown not only gear wise but also emotionally & have come OFF my ignore list!:D WTG! Others have moved on all together THANK GOD!

When I came on in 2004, everyone was into HT, encouraging everyone to get 'Man Amps', SDA's & SVS subs.

Since then, the market has changed & anyone who is interested can get much better equipment (separates) at an affordable price. This is a very good thing.

Meanwhile, a good chunk of people who were espousing HT when I came on, have gone hell for leather in the other direction back to 2 channel. And not just 2 channel, but the most expensive 2 channel stuff they can lay their hands on.:eek:

I have learned tons on gear & whatnot, & have improved my system dramatically thanks to this club. But I'm content to stay where I am & pass the knowledge I have gained onto newbies.

I read but stay out of the 2 channel thread because I'm not interested & the 2 channel folks now stop hammering newbies who are trying to set up HT to jump head first in to tubes, & vinyl, before they even get their first taste of what a good solid state HT can sound like!:D

There is a wealth of sane informative info on this board that you won't really find anywhere else, that encourages people to not be afraid to spend a bit more money to get a better system.

Where as on other forums alot of time is spent encouraging people to settle for the bare minimum & going any higher will NOT yield any difference.:eek::rolleyes::mad::confused: And if you think so, you are simply imagining things.

So this club continues to be my number one source of information & help in all things audio! ROCK ON CLUB POLK!!!:D
    Early B. wrote: »
    Blame it on cfrizz. She's been trying to drag all of you Neanderthals into the 21st century. :p
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    ...the 2 channel folks now stop hammering newbies who are trying to set up HT to jump head first in to tubes, & vinyl, before they even get their first taste of what a good solid state HT can sound like!:D

I'll have to work on that problem.

President of Club Polk

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    I think the forum has enough influencial members to sway noobs in the right direction. But, even though many that have moved on past polk to more high end gear, I'm sure they have referred 10+ people to look at polk rather than the typical HTIB / Bose solution. So, while it appears that some are moving away from polk, they are actually helping to move many, many others to polk.

While I have a couple sets of speakers that are not polk, I still use them for my HT setup, got my brother an entire polk HT setup, just purchased a pair of LSi7s, am installing some polk bookies for my gf's dad this week, and refer everyone else I know to check out polk.

This forum is a great idea. It's viral marketing for polk, and they are smart to let us openly discuss, suggest, and even tout other audio gear to its members. Because, if you think about it, the larger the population of audio / HT enthusiasts, the better for polk.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited December 2007
    CP has been a great learning experience, especially for someone like me, who hates to read!!!

More pics please.....

oh thats right...the TBT is in the **** now....
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    6 closed threads in the last 30 days. This place rocks!

Seriously, there is some good knowledge sharing going around here and we put the 'fun' in dysfunctional!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    jakelm wrote: »
    CP has been a great learning experience, especially for someone like me, who hates to read!!!

More pics please.....

oh thats right...the TBT is in the **** now....

It's better to hate to read than not be able to read like some members....:eek:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    The gear has bumped up several notches from what I see. It used to be everyone oo'd and ah'd over a $600 preamp. These days very few would be caught dead owning such a cheapie. When I got started in vinyl and tubes everyone just thought it was weird. Now there are many high end tables around the forum and a LOT of tube gear.

Do you know why things have taken an upturn? I think it is because we still have the main core group. Its natural for people to keep upgrading. Other forums may not keep their core groups and end up always being a mainly newbie group of members, everchanging.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    Ahhhh, words of wisdom from Cfrizz, the Polk Forum Goddess! ;)
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    I think Chuck makes a salient point about the core group staying on board.

To answer Early B's original question.....I think Chuck pretty much nailed it and it's had a ripple effect. We've had guys like George, madmax, hoosier21, the Bros McG preaching the gospel of 2ch for years....and slowly but surely people came on board and it's just progressed and picked up speed. There is a lot more to it but that, IMO, is the foundation for it.

As for me personally, George got the ball rolling. Listening to his he-man rig was one of those life changing experiences as that REALLY got me on the 2ch wagon. I'd never heard anything like it before (or since really. George's rig still represents a high water mark for me). I went through a period where I wanted to duplicate George's rig but, as we all do, we find the sound that fits us and we persue it.....and anyone who tells you that pursuing it isn't a good part of the fun is full of it. We (1) listen to music (2) on the hifi.

As far as the lessining of the sense of community......well, yes and no. There was a time when this forum was about a 10 person show, pretty much exclusively. Now, jeeze, we've got a LOT more 'regular' contributors so while I don't think that the core group is as close, personally, as ever......I think the forum is a lot more open and that may give the impression that there isn't the sense of community. Having said that, when something happens, the membership STILL closes ranks and takes care of it's own. The support that I've received from you knuckleheds in the past few months makes that abundantly clear.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut