What has happened to Christmas ?

2»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    We forgot about Jesus. The true reason for the season.

Tell that to the Pagans who invented it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Tell that to the Pagans who invented it.
    The pagans didn't invent Christmas. The end of year celebration goes back almost 4,000 years to the Mesopotamians. Various cultures (Persians, Babylonians Greeks, Scandinavians, Europeans) have had celebrations around the winter soltice including the pagans who believed in evil spirits, witches, ghosts and trolls who they feared would cause the sun to not return. Special rituals and celebrations were held to welcome back the sun. The actual Christmas we celebrate today is more closely related to the Roman winter festival. As the Roman festival became more decadent and influenced by pagans and as the Roman Govt. started leaning toward Christianity they attempted to "tone down" the revelry. It didn't work. The Church then started celebrating the birth of Christ during this time to offset other rituals of the time, which ultimately had the intended effect. Christmas took the place of the many year end festivals (not just the pagans). So the "Christmas Celebration" as we now know it was indeed created to clebrate the birth of Christ. It did not evolve from a pagan festival but competed against it...and became the predominant celebration of the time and continues today.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2007
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    The pagans didn't invent Christmas. The end of year celebration goes back almost 4,000 years to the Mesopotamians. Various cultures (Persians, Babylonians Greeks, Scandinavians, Europeans) have had celebrations around the winter soltice including the pagans who believed in evil spirits, witches, ghosts and trolls who they feared would cause the sun to not return. Special rituals and celebrations were held to welcome back the sun. The actual Christmas we celebrate today is more closely related to the Roman winter festival. As the Roman festival became more decadent and influenced by pagans and as the Roman Govt. started leaning toward Christianity they attempted to "tone down" the revelry. It didn't work. The Church then started celebrating the birth of Christ during this time to offset other rituals of the time, which ultimately had the intended effect. Christmas took the place of the many year end festivals (not just the pagans). So the "Christmas Celebration" as we now know it was indeed created to clebrate the birth of Christ. It did not evolve from a pagan festival but competed against it...and became the predominant celebration of the time and continues today.

Sorry, forgot to put a wink, I was mostly just joking about the pagan thing. Like most things it doesn't matter how or why it started but rather what it means to you today.

Merry Christmas everyone :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Thanks Bob:)
    Merry Christmas :D to you, and all.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    As well you should be, obieone, as well you should be.

.........we're watching you.

.....while you sleep.:)

I friggin KNEW it!!! Everyone keeps telling me to ignore you and just take my Thorazine!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »

All this is true but you left out one important fact. The Christians at the time also wanted to incorporate (convert) the heathens also, so it made it easier for them to convert the pagans during the "revelry" when infact the Christmas Celebration was being held at the same time.
    \
    The leaders of the pagans found also that the Christians had been sorely persecuted and slaughtered and despite this, Christianity got stronger and stronger and soon was dominating the area. They figured they would convert to the stronger "god" and be as powerful as the Christians. That one thought led to thousands and thousands of converts who became devout Christians and they began to spead the Word also! The story of the pagan Emperor Constantine had the same type of beginning.

That is the short version.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Sorry, forgot to put a wink, I was mostly just joking about the pagan thing. Like most things it doesn't matter how or why it started but rather what it means to you today.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Merry Christmas Bob!!!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    Merry Christmas hp !!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    That is the short version.

Thank goodness as I was starting to actually believe in God at some point in that diatribe.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    You old heathen you!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I just sacrificed a goat to my tree deity tonight....figured it was perfect timing.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    I thought Christmas was all about shopping and giving your hard earned money away...

bah humbug.... What a crappy season wish I was a kid again