Some things different...some not so....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been sitting here thinking about hifi and the forum as another year draws to a close...and I'm bored so I thought that I might ramble a bit.

One thing that strikes me in regards to the forum is that in a LOT of ways...things do change but overall, more things are the same.

F'rinstance.....I was thinking about he latest round of Forum DeathMatch. You know, we've ALWAYS had these in some form or other. From the legendary George/Snake to wangotango to me/Russ/mantis/liv4fam to to Russ/Hunter (now THAT was funny) to Jstas to F1/(insert name here) to Spyderman, Bullwinkle, faster100 etc etc etc. The fact is that we've ALWAYS had pissing matches. I'm not saying that anyone was 'right' or 'wrong'...just that they have always been here and that sooner or later, they run thier course and in some cases, people actually DO coexist peacefully.

What I do find disturbing is the trend in involving the moderators. Sure, used to be a time where Micah would have to lock down a thread or whatever but pretty much things would run thier course and that would be that. I'm not sure why this is but I find it disturbing all the same.

I also find that I go back to a lot of the posts from the past because there was some REALLY funny stuff back then. I mean HILARIOUS stuff. I'm not sure why that is. Part of me thinks it's because people are more on edge rather than letting a joke ride, even if it's on them. I dunno, but I miss a lot of that stuff. I'm not saying 'good' or 'bad'....I'm just saying things are different and I'm not really sure why.

One thing that I never really thought that I'd see but has come to fruition is the proliferation of 2 channel. There was a time on the forums that HT dominated. 2CH, while it was serious for some wasn't NEARLY the mainstream.

Along the same line is the GEAR that people on this forum have and are exposed to. JHC, there was a time that RuSsMaN and I were ****-blocking each other for a 40 dollar Yammie preamp to hook up to a Carver Cube. I remember being PISSED that he hit a 50 dollar NAD preamp that I missed on ebay. Jeeze, look at the stuff that a lot of you guys have now....AMAZING.

Speaking of Amazing....speakers too. There was a time that SDA was pretty rare. When I got here, SDA was spoken of in hushed, reverant tones and not many people had them. In fact, some of us (myself particularly) were VERY skeptical. Hell, I think it was 2003 that I actually got to hear SDA (at F1's, jeeze what a demo...sidenote my 2 most memorable hifi experiences were hearing SD Gaucho on F1's SDA and the Magnificent 7 theme on George's He-Man rig). Now, everybody has them and those that don't have at least heard them somewhere. Carver Amazings? Same thing. I'll bet there's at least a dozen people on the forum that own them. Then you throw in the Magnepan's, Legacies, ML's, Quads...etc etc. I'm babbling but the forum has DEFINATELY gone high tone.

The other thing, and probably the thing I'm most proud of, is the sense of community that exists here. This is also the thing that the new folks really need to pay attention to. We aren't some closed off clique with an exclusive membership open to a select few. Not the case. However, there is a broad network of people who do honestly care about each other and the forum. While lately, this has been getting some bad press.....let me remind some of just a few of the good things that has occured:

Russ heading up the Hurricane Katrina relief effort for us.
Russ did the same thing for collecting money for flowers etc. when Nascarmann passed away.
Polkfests - all sponsored and hosted by forum members
The Githens Center, who knows how much money George has raised through sales and through Polkfest.
Me, while deployed over the past few years..I've been the recipient of such an outpouring of support that it actually amazes me.....and a plethora of other things from pony expressing gear to helping out with a deal going south and any other number of things that escape me right now.

Anyhow, I've rambled enough...just some end of the year thoughts. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year you guys.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    That is an awesome post Troy! I've read many a Hall of Shame thread and I've NEVER read where a newb or a standing member kept calling out, "the mob/click/group of friends," etc. In the year and a half I've been on here it is only of late that I see some psychopaths doing do so to their own detriment and demise.

The thing is, I knew this place was special when I would ask questions and get immediate and helpful replies. When I posted about my record collection getting wrecked several people starting with you send me upwards of 50 LPs pronto.

This place is special and not antiseptic and boring like the other forums I've visited. I've made true blue, bona fide, friends here. Some of whom I've never met face to face but good friends none-the-less.

As Curley Howard once said, "I recon, if there's no other place around the place, this must be the place, I recon." It holds true for Club Polk . . . one big happy family . . .well most of the time.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks Troy for spending Christmas in a harsh place making our lives safe.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    Troy - very nice post and spot on. Thanks for doing what you do to make sure we have the freedom to even have discussions like this! Merry Christmas and stay safe!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited December 2007
    Troy,
    Yeah man funny stuff back then. All of them. hey you know Liv4fam could come back to the forum, I could give him a invite and we can see where 2008 takes us. He lives in AZ now and is doing excellent. He moved out there a few years ago.

Merry Christmas and have a safe New Year,

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    As far as "rambles" go, that was pretty poor; it was too intelligent and well thought out.

You need to take some lessons from some of us that know how to ramble. ;)

In the short time I've been here, I've seen some pretty cool stuff.
    Folks can argue like cats and dogs on certain topics yet, if the need arises, will freely give advice and more to those very same people.

That aspect seems to have increased a bit, IMO.

The willingness, almost need, for some folks to complain to Polk management is something that is new. That will hopefully disappear because it really, really, really, really sux. Big time.
    In the past, I imagine that some posters would occasionally gripe to the moderators (Justin, etc) but the mods seemed to keep that situation well under control. I don't know, because we never heard of such things.
    But it must be hard to keep the ship afloat when some people feel they need to talk to the Captain of the ship when they have a gripe.

The sense of family that HI mentioned still exists, IMO. Sometimes it may seem a little dysfunctional, but as long as nobody's calling the "cops", it's all good.
    The way in which CP pulled together recently in a tsunami wave of protest when a few were negatively affecting CP was, while not textbook politically correct, was pretty darn impressive.

And, although I haven't been able to figure out exactly who, some of the guys/gals on here still seem to have a direct line to the Big Guy Upstairs, as seen by the positive things that have happened when the boards been asked for special prayers/requests.
    When I see my granddaughter, I personally see that (and I remember that).

Luckily, the "old" guys are still hard-headed, opinionated, and willing to share their opinions at a drop of a hat.

There are a few more ladies on here, too. With one possible exception (:rolleyes:), that's a good thing.

The interest in tubes is really growing, and that's cool.

So, while some changes are going on (Who Moved My Cheese), it's good to remember: It's All Good.

...... a little worried about Joe's newfound interest in goats, but ..... heck, I guess that's good, too.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2007
    Good one Troy...
    My time has been relatively limited, but I miss the clowns. RT1's "Paypal Suckiosity" posts immediately come to mind. Audio is definitely the glue. But the chuckles keep me coming back.

CHEERS
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    Salute! Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year..whever you are in the world.
    Lightman Russ
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    ...... a little worried about Joe's newfound interest in goats, but ..... heck, I guess that's good, too.

:)

Pardon me reverend but that is, "goating" as is goading!:rolleyes::D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, Ted's Paypal rant was PRICELESS.

GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    May you have a safe & Merry Christmas Troy & a safe and sound return home next year!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,444
    edited December 2007
    As usual, well said BDT.

BTW, I'm bad and I'm nationwide once again! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Did the new CPU help your speed problem?
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    Great post. I think what's changed is folks crying to the moderators with their grievances instead of using the tried, tested, and accepted forum response.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, sorry about the 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' response. Troy and I came up with it as a joke several years ago, and started using it as a 'laughter' type response to see if it would catch on, and if other members start using it.

It did. They did.

Sorry. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,444
    edited December 2007
    Did the new CPU help your speed problem?

This thing is BLAZING!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    I love it when a PLAN comes together . . . . all of them, he he he!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    I won't ramble on.. having been here in the forums.. since about the mid 60's or so. HA! HA!

If you spend enough time here you come to know people's likes and dislikes over time. You learn who you can trust and who to keep at arms length. As is evident in my post count, I have spent a LOT of time here.

Bottom line for me and what I get out of this forum is knowledge... in an area where I was lacking some good common sense. Stereo electronics. It's a vast and varied zoo out there. This place has guided me to make the right choices over the years. Some good, some were just chalked up to a learning experience. We all still need those right? :)

What I wasn't expecting to get out of this or any online forum was a sense of belonging to a community. A community that cares about each other. Where friendships and deals are made on a person's good word. How rare is that even with your neighbor or best friend?? Thinking that 2, 3, or 30 people can get together for a common interest and enjoy this hobby in person, and not even know each other than from behind the words written on a computer screen.

The turmoil in here recently is just a speed bump in the road. When you take into account really what a great year 2007 was in here. Ted's awesome PF07, I still kick myself for not dragging my butt to that. ;) To future PF's still unplanned. :D

Lets put all differences aside and look forward to what new friendships, experiences, gear, and whatnot 2008 will bring.

Al
    danger boy
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry about the 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' response. Troy and I came up with it as a joke several years ago, and started using it as a 'laughter' type response to see if it would catch on, and if other members start using it.

It did. They did.

Sorry. ;)

I've often wondered about that, but asking would have permanently labeled me a "noob". Now that I know its origins, I too shall use the "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    I guess you can look at this place as a "Marriage." We'll have our bumps in the road, but hopefully we can get past the little shortcomings and live in peace and tranquility. There are times though, when someone needs to be divorced from us! (cough cough)

We do look out for each other though. I still remember when NoBallsCoach (OhBallCoach) came on here selling some FX1000's. We agreed to a sale, I fed-exed out a check to him, only to be contacted via email by Hoosier telling me to call him ASAP on the phone. Said NoBallsCoach was trying to sell him the same speakers after I had sent out the check. He got busted by the forum and my money was safely intact.

Now thats what it's all about...covering each others back and being there for one another!

F1Nut still has the rig I get all excited about! One day my man...

Merry X-Mas everyone!

John
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    This thing is BLAZING!!!

Bump it up to a 386?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    No excuses!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    I'll be damned. The more I think about it, I think it was Hoosier that PMed ME when STrigg was pulling the same **** on me with the Carver amp a million years ago.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    :eek: giggle, snort, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!:D That's not nice!:eek: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:D:D:D

Looks like you got yourself your own Christmas present Jesse! Congrats & Merry Christmas!:D
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Bump it up to a 386?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    This thing is BLAZING!!!

Still using dial up or have you graduated to 5 years ago and gotten broad band :D. Happy Holidays to all.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!