Polkie to Polkie

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I visited Analog97 last night at his house. We've met before at a mutual friend's house, so this was the first time I heard his system. Larry is a first class host and a wonderful gentleman. His big Polks (1.2TL's) sounded great! Larry and Joe must be blood as their passion for vinyl is very similiar. Larry had some great, pristine vinyl that sounded wonderful through his home built, tube phono pre. It took me about ten minutes to get to Larry's house from my house. This is much closer than most Polk wives want their husbands to live near other Polkies:D

Thanks for the great time Larry!
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Good deal! I have a fellow Polkie on the way as I type. This will be the first Polkie to actually hear my rig. :eek:

Don't know whether or not that's good or bad.....but I do know that this will not be the last time you guys meet up.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Good deal! I have a fellow Polkie on the way as I type. This will be the first Polkie to actually hear my rig. :eek:

Don't know whether or not that's good or bad.....but I do know that this will not be the last time you guys meet up.

Oh the pressure!!!!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Wow Carl! You really get around!

Its great you live so close - Rich is 30-45 minutes from me.

Never visited another Polkie in the area. Joey was over @ my place once (summer '06) but he never mentioned the visit (I had the TAD-60 & the VR-2's back then). Guess he wasn't impressed. He's more a Loganite or a Martinique than a Polkie anyway.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I hope meet up with some GA Polkie's after I move!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    edited December 2007
    Ya' damn well better brother! ;)

Russ [lightman1] said Hi!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited December 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »

Met several, they all suck :p
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    I told Larry and Carl they were a match made in heaven!!!

Good stuff guys.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    Met several, they all suck :p

How would you know you're always asleep!!!!:D:p
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited December 2007
    How would you know you're always asleep!!!!:D:p

Guy takes one nap and gets 3 pictures posted of it in the PF showcase :D
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »

Stay in Florida. None of the GA Polkies are worth meeting.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    Met Tom last night and he's a hack. Parts of his setup was held together with duct tape and bailing wire. His dog peed on my shoes. He lives in a two room hovel with dirt floors. He had telephone wire for speaker connects. I kicked over his cinder block and plywood equipment rack and set fire to it. He locked me in a closet that had no lights and smelled of decayed bodies. He made me say "Polk Sucks!" ten times before he let me out. After brief fisticuffs about who has better ICs and "Do they really matter?", I went and got some duct tape out off the car and helped him piece the rig back together. One of the tylers is out of phase, I think. He gave me a pretty good clip on the ear.
    Settled down to some good tunes and conversation and talked about upcoming events.
    Even after he kissed me goodnight and copped a feel on my way out the door, I can still say Tom is a stand up guy with a passion for audio.

Tip O' The Hat Tom,
    Love Russ
  • schwarcw
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, that's Tom;)

Great that you guys had the chance to spend some time together. I've me many great friend throught audio and music interests.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Met Tom last night and he's a hack. Parts of his setup was held together with duct tape and bailing wire. His dog peed on my shoes. He lives in a two room hovel with dirt floors. He had telephone wire for speaker connects. I kicked over his cinder block and plywood equipment rack and set fire to it. He locked me in a closet that had no lights and smelled of decayed bodies. He made me say "Polk Sucks!" ten times before he let me out. After brief fisticuffs about who has better ICs and "Do they really matter?", I went and got some duct tape out off the car and helped him piece the rig back together. One of the tylers is out of phase, I think. He gave me a pretty good clip on the ear.
    Settled down to some good tunes and conversation and talked about upcoming events.
    Even after he kissed me goodnight and copped a feel on my way out the door, I can still say Tom is a stand up guy with a passion for audio.

Tip O' The Hat Tom,
    Love Russ

That was funny!!! BTW Tom I still have the grease hand print on the **** of my jeans from Polkfest!!!!
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Whew! It's only grease. Thanks Joe, I had then same print on my jeans as well.
  • treitz3
    edited December 2007
    Haha, you only think it's grease. :eek: :D
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ....He had telephone wire for speaker connects.
    Upgraded telephone wire, sir. Get it straight! ;)

Russ has been sworn to absolute secrecy. If he tells anybody, he will have to kill them. Really...we had a great time with some great tunes. We'll have to do it again soon. I'll be up to check out your collection of Polk speak's sooner than later. Thanks for the kind words and back-atcha! [I tink Russ knows more about audio than he tinks he knows....I tink] :)

PS, Russ. Rage Against the Machine, Killing in the Name is playing as I type...LOUD! Appropriate for X-mas eh? :eek:
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    LOUDER TOM!!! I CAN'T HEAR IT UP HERE!!!
    Merry Christmas, bud!

I haven't had to kill anyone today, what being Christmas and all.;)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I visited Analog97 last night at his house. We've met before at a mutual friend's house, so this was the first time I heard his system. Larry is a first class host and a wonderful gentleman. His big Polks (1.2TL's) sounded great! Larry and Joe must be blood as their passion for vinyl is very similiar. Larry had some great, pristine vinyl that sounded wonderful through his home built, tube phono pre. It took me about ten minutes to get to Larry's house from my house. This is much closer than most Polk wives want their husbands to live near other Polkies:D

Thanks for the great time Larry!

Carl,You better watch yourself,these guys will have you sliding down that slippery vinyl slope before you know it:D

Sounds like you guys had a great time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Pfffffffffft....you guys haven't LIVED until you've participated in a stair-diving event at Abernathy's place.

If you DO go, just make sure you lock your door at night.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    edited December 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    If you DO go, just make sure you lock your door at night.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, we had a great time. Lookin' forward to Troy to get back to the states so we can all raid his fridge and listen to his rig! I'd like to hear his telephone wires.:p I'm quite positive that schwarcw and analog97 had a great time as well and there will be more to come!

I can't wait for the NC mini fest this spring. Fun should be had by all that attend.
  • schwarcw
    edited December 2007
    Carl,You better watch yourself,these guys will have you sliding down that slippery vinyl slope before you know it:D

I hear 'ya Mike, but I remember what life was like with only vinyl. I like the nostalgia of vinyl, and some things can sound really exceptional. I just don't have the energy, money and space to jump into that format like a blitzing linebacker. I have my little vinyl thing going that's fun.

I enjoy visiting people who love music and hifi sound. It's easy to call most of these folks friends. That's why I enjoy this Forum.
    Carl

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    Nice story Carl. Always nice to sit down with friends that enjoy the same. Have been doing a little of that myself over the holidays and some more to come New Year's Eve.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I hear 'ya Mike, but I remember what life was like with only vinyl. I like the nostalgia of vinyl, and some things can sound really exceptional. I just don't have the energy, money and space to jump into that format like a blitzing linebacker. I have my little vinyl thing going that's fun.

I enjoy visiting people who love music and hifi sound. It's easy to call most of these folks friends. That's why I enjoy this Forum.

I hear ya Carl,I still have an old Yamaha TT from "back in the day" that needs some work...and a small trunk full of old vinyl...Been thinkin' about trying to get things up and runnin'...but,as you say; energy,time & money.

I'm short on all.