A walk down memory lane. How things have changed.

2»

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Anyone recall the skateboard craze in the mid 70's?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Anyone recall the skateboard craze in the mid 70's?

The little plastic ones that were a foot and a half long that would stop when they hit the seams in the concrete, but you would keep going. Yes
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    I remember buying gasoline for my car while I was in college for $0.27 per gallon. I bought $0.15 hamburgers and french fries at McDonald's. I would run to the corner store to buy my dad a pack of cigarettes when I was about 8 years old, I was never asked for ID (ha! ha!) and I remember paying like $0.20 a pack.

When I went off to college and studied engineering, my first semester I had a one credit course teaching us how to use a slide rule (logarithms, trig functions, etc.) The computer we used required those IBM card decks. Damn! I hated those card punch machines.

I'm older than dirt!:(
    Carl

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I remember buying gasoline for my car while I was in college for $0.27 per gallon. I bought $0.15 hamburgers and french fries at McDonald's. I would run to the corner store to buy my dad a pack of cigarettes when I was about 8 years old, I was never asked for ID (ha! ha!) and I remember paying like $0.20 a pack.

When I went off to college and studied engineering, my first semester I had a one credit course teaching us how to use a slide rule (logarithms, trig functions, etc.) The computer we used required those IBM card decks. Damn! I hated those card punch machines.

I'm older than dirt!:(

Wow. You're old, dude.

I remember candy bars were $0.20 and when postage stamps increased to $0.13.

But what's interesting is how some things remain the same. If you're a bargain shopper, you can still buy a decent dress suit for $99.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    Summer nights spent playing Hide-and-go-Seek, Kick the Can.

Endless after school hours playing basketball in our driveway, Saturday football in the yard.

Catching bugs every May and putting them on display on egg cartons.

Floating anything down the ditch.

Pouring water on the street and sledding down it behind our house.

Bicycle races.

Two gallon glass jugs of A&W Rootbeer that my dad brought home on summer Saturday evenings.

The heavy iron snow shovel that we tried for years to break and never did!

The five times a year we went out to eat for a birthday.

The Sunday pasta dinner at my grandparent's, with the massive platefuls of spaghetti.

The race to get away from the house when my sister practiced her oboe.

Summer nights sleeping on the neighbor's trampoline.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    I'm old enough that.........

manual transmissions were standard

most lawnmowers were not only push style, but motorless.

tree houses were actually built in trees, not some $10k, 3 room, doll house thing.

little Tommy without any arms and legs, loved playing 3rd base....the actual base, not the position.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    :eek::eek: ROTFLMAO!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUCHHHH!:eek::eek:

ben62670 wrote: »
    The little plastic ones that were a foot and a half long that would stop when they hit the seams in the concrete, but you would keep going. Yes
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    All of the above . . . sigh.

Everytime I thought of something it was already covered. I like the one about the phone receiver being a lethal weapon.

Here's one.

Wooden soda or beer boxes with metal reinforced corners and edges; we would take our wrench/key on roller skates apart, nail them to a 2 x 4 (and yes it was a full 2" x4"), nail the board to the boxes with the box on its side. Homemade scooter. Then we started getting creative. We would take every bottle cap we could find and nail them touching each other to the front and side of scooter for armour and then take a broom stick, cut the broom off (yes many beatings after that stunt), dig a hole in the front of the box, push the broom handle through and fix it to the box with L brackets and screws, then use the scooters to have jousts just like King Arther's knights had.

Many a time our little jewels would take a lance :eek:but we kept playing after jumping up and down for a few minutes.

None of this run home to mommy to kiss it and make it better.

Well there you have it scars and all!:D
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    Getting an old bike frame (my buddy across the street worked part-time at
    Zykan's, he could always get us one), stripping it down.
    Put a plywood base on it. Mount a lawnmower motor (courtesy of Zykans, too)to the base.
    We'd have to scrounge up some money for the clutch and rear wheel which we could get real cheap over at Hood's across the river.
    (We'd ride 8 miles on our bikes to get there across a killer dangerous bridge).

When done, it was like we had built a space shuttle.

I knew, and my buddies knew, not to even THINK about using any of my dad's tools, even though he had everything we needed. One tool out of place, one nick, one ding, and hell would descend from the mountaintop.

On Sunday mornings, I'd go up to the Quick Shop and get a Sunday paper.
    Soemtimes my dad would be out of Raleighs, so he'd give me an extra 35 cents to pick up a pack of smokes for him, too.

Used to snow in the winter back then, and we'd build igloos and loooooong
    snow tunnels.

If we got a tear in the knees of our jeans, our moms would use an iron-on patch to repair it. Went to school with those jeans, and it was no big deal.

One 19" b/w T.V. and when it went down one summer, it was no big deal that it was out for 5 months. The repairs were going to be expensive ($40), so we went without.
    Tin foil on ONE of the rabbit ears ? Heck yeah. Foil on both of the ears seemed to defeat the purpose.
    Sal Palooza