A walk down memory lane. How things have changed.

janmike
janmike Posts: 6,146
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"
"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."
C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

“It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a store card. The card was good only at Farmers (now Myers).

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza; it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."
I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Michael ;)
In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
Post edited by janmike on

Comments

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Not QUITE that old, but I'm catching up. Just stand in one spot, and I'll come to you.:D I do remember the old Raliegh/ Schwinn's that were one speed.
    And yes, they did weigh 50 lbs.:eek:
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    I remember some of that. You should definately pass the rest of the info on to them.

We had one b&w tv 13" in the livingroom. Mom sat us down for dinner around 6:00 & we were in bed by 8. Dad very rarely had dinner with us he was too busy working his 2nd job.

Mom had a few store cards, but they were in my Dad's name since Mom wasn't allowed to have them in her name.

Mom worked before she got married & then took several years off while we were growing up. She didn't go back to work until my younger brother Mark was in school full time. But she was always home before us & was fixing dinner when we got there.

We were not allowed to NOT like dinner, we could have a spanking before hand & then could sit down uncomfortably & eat it like it or not! We didn't go to bed hungry but we could & would go with a sore butt if we pushed it!

Fast food was an expensive treat we got if we happened to be out shopping. It would be months before we got more.

Our 1 phone was this big, black, weighed a ton, rotary phone you could kill someone with the headset if necessary.

We didn't get our first color tv until the early 80's, it was after my dad died in 82.

I'm amazed now that I think about it all the stuff I have since those days!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited December 2007
    The old guy comming down the street with a cart to sharpen knives.
    Door to door salesmen....vacum cleaners,brushes,etc.
    Old tube radio's glowing in the corner
    No air conditioners,only fans
    Gas ws .27 cents a gallon
    Clothes from Sears was high end.
    Pitching penny's
    Eating out was like never....IHOP was big back then and was a treat to go there.
    The sign on Mickey D's still said like 4 million.
    Walking to school......what bus??
    You ate what was put infront of you.....no request were ever taken.
    Garfield Goose and Ray Rayner were the top of the heap.
    Vacations???........never...
    Choirs???.....lots of 'em....for a buck.
    Bathrooms...only one...make your reservations early.
    Sunday church.......better dress up or your **** is in trouble
    St. Joseph tables......good memories....
    No malls....
    Roller rinks and theaters,drive-in's,were the hang outs
    Jocks were dorks
    TV...BLACK AND WHITE.....with a pliers to change channels,tin foil rabbit ears
    most clothes...hand me downs.
    Girls in no way could dress as they do today......no freakin' way!!!
    Still never got that Red Ryder BB gun though.....haunts me to this day.
    Holding hands ment going steady......kissing had marriage all over it.
    Makeing home made wine,the old way.
    Haveing to ask permission to do anything....I mean anything!!
    Skitching.....lots of fun

thats enough for now....I'll get too sad for the longing of old times....:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    I think the biggest difference in how things have changed is in the respect dept. When mom or grandma cooked that meal and presented it to dad when he came home from work ...you stopped what you were doing...went and washed up...and sat at the table and ate. You didnt yell " I'm not hungry " .....you didn't make a face and say " Ohhh I hate that crap . I'm not eating that " ...etc.

You just KNEW if you did that you would be punished ( For every family of every kid I knew and grew up with this meant a swat on the **** and going to your room...I knew a lot of friends and family too...same thing in every house ...maybe here in Calif we lived in a bubble ..but that WAS the way of the neighborhood where I grew up.) Kids even repected the parents of their friends and neighbors...imagine that ? I got very few of those swats ( After the first one I was smart..and listened ...mostly :rolleyes: ) and deserved every one I did get.

The other big difference is us neighbor kids NEVER spent time inside the house...THAT in itself was punishment...we were making our own go karts from spare parts from all of the neighborhood dads garages...mini bikes...all going down to the creek for a bb gun war...hide and go seek with a 3 block radius to hide in...playing football...groups of us heading down to the horse stables because thats where all the pretty girls hung out...etc.

As much as I love electronics....games and such of that nature is what helped our kids get so out of shape ( Fast food helped too ) and become hermits in the house.

The ONLY reason you obey laws is because you do not like the consequences of breaking those laws....well when the kid from the get go knows all he gets is a dirty look from his parents when he disobeys ....would be like us adults walking into a bank and grabbing all the money and not having to pay dearly for it...society couldnt exist without the threat of violence and or monetary repercussions...when the kids taste that kind of nothing bad when I do bad things drug can you imagine how addictive it is ?

Respect and lazy assness are the things that have changed for the worse....now back to my PS3 and the pizza should be here soon. :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Our 1 phone was this big, black, weighed a ton, rotary phone you could kill someone with the headset if necessary.

Thats probably the most recognizable thing for me for old school...the old deadly rotary phone in basic black :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Me, too.

We never (and I mean NEVER) ate fast food.

We never talked back to an adult. We got beatings for the slighest infraction.

We played outside every day and rarely watched TV (unless Planet of the Apes or All in the Family was on).

When we went to someone else's house to visit, as children we had to sit quietly while the adults held their conversation. We were seen and not heard.

Once we became teenagers, we stopped playing with toys. Today, grown men play video games. That's very weird to me.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    Old times...

Dollar used to buy something.

You could say Merry Christmas to anyone and not worry offending anyone.

News from the big 3 was actually news, well at least felt that way when I was a kid.

Bike that weighted 50 lbs yes.

Had TV with tubes in it.

You could go to any store and hear English.

People who spoke a different language live in an area of town which they never left as to offend everyone else with it.

You didn't have bottle water.

You weren't afraid of raw eggs.

You weren't afraid of raw hamburger.

You could call someone with a dime.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    listening to albums on the 200lbs tube console all in one radio, turntable, stereo.. all made out of wood. and liking it. ;)

fast food for us too, was a once a month treat, usually on a Friday when mom didn't feel like cooking. The grandparents never ate fast food. They did go out to dinner about once a month. but for the most part.. dinner every night included rice, beans and a big stack of fresh made tortillas that grandma would make from scratch. Grandpa always had home made chili with jalapeno's

We had one car and it was old... it was dad's pride and joy.. he's wash it every sunday afternoon. making sure it was gassed up for the upcoming work week. We lived only a block from school, so we never had to take the bus. We all had Huffy bikes.

We had to go play outside.. or as my uncle would joke. "go play in the street!!"
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2007
    What is this weird world you are all referring to. I have no idea what you are all talking about........I wish.

My memories.

never talk back to parents or a beating will ensue.

remember the door to door collecting for delivering newspapers...used to have a card in a binder for each person and the receipt was a tiny little tear off.

remember sitting down as a family to eat....nobody and I mean nobody said anything negative about the meal or you were sent flying out your chair from the backhand of my dad.

we were always outside either playing ball hockey in the winter or football in the summer....but then again there seemed to be a tonne of kids at that time.

there was still fast food but it was never really given to me nor did I ever desire it.

I also remember spending most of my summer holidays camping as well as fishing trips with the family.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    As seen here in this thread ...with all of us seemingly raised "Correctly " ....how did the kids ( Well a LOT...not all ) of today get so screwed up ? I raised my daughter the way I was raised...only required one swatting on her **** her entire growing up period...she left from great america amusement park with a doll that she didnt pay for ( Worst part was that she HAD more then enough money with her to buy the doll...as well as mom and dad being there as well..it was just in the bag when we got home...she told the truth about throwing it in the bag when I asked her though :) ) ...never required before or after that one single time.

I remember the console tv's with the pointy corners for 2 good reasons...both required a hospital visit. One I came running in the house at full speed and tripped on the coffee table and headfirst into one of those corners...lots of blood and many stitches later all was good.

Way before that...the tv stopped working and dad called the repairman....as he went to tell my mother something I walked around back to see all the people inside ( I was young ...what can I say ...he had the back off ) I got upset not seeing any people and reached inside to lift up some of the crap covering all the people...POW...still have the inch long scar on the wrist of my left hand. :o
  • tonyb
    edited December 2007
    Lucky for you no scar on your **** too.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Regular(leaded) gas
    $.15 Three muskateers
    Heat only thermostats
    Singer sewing machines & (manual) typewriters
    Starting the schoolday with a morning moment of silence(a.k.a. Prayer), AND the Pledge of Allegiance.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lucky for you no scar on your **** too.:)
    Ha yeah...funny thing was mom never administered the **** smackings...her famous line was " Just wait till I tell your father " ...then you had approximately a few hours time to sweet talk her and do extra chores....sometimes the incident never made it to dad :)
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    Garfield Goose and Ray Rayner were the top of the heap. ?????
    Skitching.....lots of fun?????

I had a red bike with a yellow seat. All steel & solid rubber tires! Man you hit a bump & feel it up through the top of your head. But at least I never had to worry about a flat!

Both of my parents were equal opportunity swatters!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    I got upset not seeing any people and reached inside to lift up some of the crap covering all the people...POW...still have the inch long scar on the wrist of my left hand. :o

While when I was in school back 25 years ago... I seen another student who was asked to remove the chassis on a TV set and cut that high voltage cable from the picture tube. While some of us other students who where watching from 15' away are betting he wouldn't discharge the tube first ;) So he doesn't so when he did cut that cable jumped about 4' off the ground waving his hands about his head, almost like a chicken would in a cartoon or something. Well the group who seen this was rolling on the floor laughing are **** off, still to this day crack up just thinking about that one. :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    edited December 2007
    On a recent trip to Toronto I ventured into my old stomping grounds and visited some old rural shops that I used to frequent in my younger days. After some small talk and perhaps a purchase here and there, I wish the people in the shops Happy Holidays. EVERY ONE of them said, “NO It's Merry Christmas." After thinking about that for several weeks I have come to the conclusion they are absolutely correct. I know we live in a stringent society today with the emphasis placed on being politically correct. Well, people don't give a **** about my Christian beliefs nor would they offer their version of holiday wishes. Quid Pro Quo. So for the rest of my life on this planet I am saying things I have been saying for over 50 years. If I know you do not have the same beliefs as I, then I respect that and will not say anything to offend you. This is my belief and it insults me that my beliefs and culture are being suppressed. There I said it. Sorry, it’s be bugging me since then. Merry Christmas and Happy New.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    While when I was in school back 25 years ago... I seen another student who was asked to remove the chassis on a TV set and cut that high voltage cable from the picture tube. While some of us other students who where watching from 15' away are betting he wouldn't discharge the tube first ;) So he doesn't so when he did cut that cable jumped about 4' off the ground waving his hands about his head, almost like a chicken would in a cartoon or something. Well the group who seen this was rolling on the floor laughing are **** off, still to this day crack up just thinking about that one. :D

You dont mess with flybacks...I have no clue whatsoever what did mine...a large cap I would guess
  • tonyb
    edited December 2007
    Garfield Goose and Ray Rayner were the top of the heap. ?????
    Skitching.....lots of fun?????

I had a red bike with a yellow seat. All steel & solid rubber tires! Man you hit a bump & feel it up through the top of your head. But at least I never had to worry about a flat!

Both of my parents were equal opportunity swatters!

Those were local shows Cathy,don't know if you got 'em by you.
    I defy anyone to say skitching wasn't fun...dangerous...but fun.
    Of coarse,you have to know what it is first.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    On a recent trip to Toronto I ventured into my old stomping grounds and visited some old rural shops that I used to frequent in my younger days. After some small talk and perhaps a purchase here and there, I wish the people in the shops Happy Holidays. EVERY ONE of them said, “NO It's Merry Christmas." After thinking about that for several weeks I have come to the conclusion they are absolutely correct. I know we live in a stringent society today with the emphasis placed on being politically correct. Well, people don't give a **** about my Christian beliefs nor would they offer their version of holiday wishes. Quid Pro Quo. So for the rest of my life on this planet I am saying things I have been saying for over 50 years. If I know you do not have the same beliefs as I, then I respect that and will not say anything to offend you. This is my belief and it insults me that my beliefs and culture are being suppressed. There I said it. Sorry, it’s be bugging me since then. Merry Christmas and Happy New.

Same thing here...all the store windows use that white imitation snow like stuff to say Merry Christmas...at least that PC **** hasnt hit my town...yet.

An even worse one I saw on the san jose channel 11 news while at my mom and dads house the other day was that you are not supposed to call it a christmas tree anymore...its a holiday tree ?

You couldnt have guessed this **** up 20 years ago if you had tried...you would have been laughed at and then promptly beaten
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    :rolleyes: So WTH is skitching????:p:D

tonyb wrote: »
    Those were local shows Cathy,don't know if you got 'em by you.
    I defy anyone to say skitching wasn't fun...dangerous...but fun.
    Of coarse,you have to know what it is first.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    LCD and Plasma flat screens....

I was lucky to have a clear TV picture with no snow.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• tonyb
    edited December 2007

A midwest term for hideing out between parked cars and when a car comes down the street,you dart out behind it and hold on to the bumper with your feet slideing along on the snow.

C'mon,all you older than dirt folks from snow states know what this is.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,831
    edited December 2007

IIRC, it was hanging on to the bumper of a car/truck/bus and letting it pull you down the street on the soles of your shoes ( ususally w/o drivers' knowledge ;)), worked best after a
    good snowstorm.

Well, that's how WE did it, anyway :rolleyes:

As usual, late once again.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • janmike
    edited December 2007
    Peruse this list to see some of those old shows when you where a kid. Some of them when TV was new.

CrazyAboutTv
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    the ultimate way to travel in the snow when you were a kid ;)

no helmets allowed in those days :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Peruse this list to see some of those old shows when you where a kid. Some of them when TV was new.

CrazyAboutTv

Killer link....boy one of my favorite shows could never exist today...All in the Family...could you imagine Archie Bunker in todays
    hosed up PC climate :eek:
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    danger boy wrote: »

We've still got one of those sleds. You get that thing on ice and it's scary how fast it'll go! In powder snow, the "modern" saucer sleds work better...
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Same thing here...all the store windows use that white imitation snow like stuff to say Merry Christmas...at least that PC **** hasnt hit my town...yet.

I was filled with holiday cheer today when I realized that every store I went to up in the great state of New Hampshire had a "Merry Christmas" sign on it.

I don't care if people say "Happy Holidays", as long as they don't feel OBLIGATED to, or are FORCED to. Say whatever you want, I appreciate the thought, just don't force it.

on topic, I'm not old, but we did ALWAYS eat homemade meals when I was a kid. I don't think I went into a fast food place until our first road trip, and pretty much only then until high school when I actually starting buying food on my own once in a while.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    OH YEAH!!!!! Man those things could move!:D

danger boy wrote: »

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    I remember knowing everyone you saw.
    The old man would go to town, and stop on the street to chat
    with someone every time. They all did this little hand raise when they
    saw people they knew(and liked) while driving.
    When my dad died this year, the memory came back hard at the cemetery.
    I knew all the names on the gravestones around his, and could picture the faces. That was the strangest feeling in the world.
    We never locked our cars. Or the houses. There were several teachers
    in high school that slipped and called students by their parent's names
    (yes, some were that old!).
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson