psw 450

Options
noticed recently after hooking up dvd player i am getting popping noise from sub........will it do this if too loud?
Post edited by opietailor on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. If it pops on loud bass passages, it is probably the VC/motor "bottoming" against the magnet structure. This is bad, and avoid it. Turn down the sub, or buy another one and run a Y splitter if you like the volume that loud.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Doc,
    whats you thinking with the Y splitter??I don't follow you here.Running the signal ,then splitting it between inputs........?

I think in a well balanced system,and your popping the sub....yes your overdriving it........cutting down the signal that way I feel isn't going to help.Maybe it will,I never tried that as a solution.I would corner load the sub,run the line level signal down at least to balanced with the rest of the speaker package first.......it will be easier on the sub in the corner.......carefull placement will have to be addressed here.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I think the good doctor is saying...
    turn down the volume on the sub,
    and by adding a second sub you would have more sound without overdriving.
    Kind of the "two heads are better than one philosophy.
    I agree.
    Of course you could simply get a more powerful sub.

-Luc
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yes, Mantis - luc said better what I meant - I was rushing off to work when I typed that.

I DID say "or buy another one and run a Y splitter", though........

I thought it kinda went without saying that after adding the second sub, you would turn down the volume on both of them so neither of them would bottom and you would still have more SPL than one sub at the original too high volume setting.

I think I know what you meant, though Dan. Splitting a signal to the same sub accomplishes nothing. Is that what you thought I suggested?

Also opie-man: there are a bunch of past posts here on system calibration with an SPL meter and test tones or a calibration disc. I recommend you calibrate your system ( I assume it's 5.1 DD and DTS) before you do anything else. Calibrating all your speakers by ear, especially the sub, often gives less than optimum results. Many people have the sub set 5-8 dB too hot by ear - that alone could be your problem. The PSW450 is far from fragile, and it takes a lot to bottom it out.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Doc,
    yes that what I thought you said.Runing 2 sub I will agree that it would improve coverage,when properly setup.My bad.

The psw450 is one tuff sub,I owned one and never had a problem with it at very high SPL.Without knowing more about OP"S problem,I'd assume the bottoming out he is experiencing(hopefully not) is a blown woofer.But thats just a guess.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.