Hi, I'm tubino, I'm new here...

2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Anyway....welcome to the forum. Glad you joined as it looks like you definitely enjoy this hobby and I look forward to having some conversations with you. Have a good one until then.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the forum Tubino. Nice toys you have there. It will be interesting to see how long the SRS's stay with you. Totally different direction. Not better or worse....just different ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the forum Tubino.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • tubino
    tubino Posts: 39
    edited December 2007
    Okay, here are the loading pictures. First, a Volvo 740 GLE wagon is a great car for such a mission. Notice how much EXTRA space is LEFT at the end of the speakers!
    233455777-M.jpg

Notice too that the 60/40 split means you can still have room for one person in the back seat:

233455724-M.jpg

True, the speakers are pushed to front, but I've got the driver's seat all the way back for leg room:

233455993-M.jpg

And there's even enough room left in the back for the Fisher 500-B and telefunkalicious KX-200 integrated amp I found while visiting relatives.

233458588-M-1.jpg

I admit it's going to get a little snug with my carry-on, computer bag, and xmas gifts... but hey I've got that backseat AND a frontseat too!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    Great car! The way I see it, there's still room for a full set of drums if you saw them on the side of the road. And a couple amps standing on their side aft of the speakers. Maybe three. Or four.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2007
    I agree with GG. Boxy but good. My father had that car for a while and it worked great to move my Ampeg SVT-810 cabinet around.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • tubino
    edited December 2007
    Hey you're TEASING ME NOW! Yeah, you got my number. I'd go a long ways for those Monitor Golds. Are they yours, and do you want to swap for anything? I'm on the hook, reel me in.
    Lasareath wrote: »
    tannoy12_gold01.jpg
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    They need ridges. ;)
    HPD385pair1.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tubino
    edited December 2007
    No sorry, I just found the pic on google, I thought they looked very cool ;)

The dual concentric trick as Tannoy has developed it is near and dear to my heart. I think it's one way to get that point source sound that helps create an image and a non-hi-fi illusion.

I'm very curious about the SDA solution, which is why I have 360+ pounds of speakers in my car. I suspect positioning of speakers and listener is crucial, but so what? When is that NOT the case, really? Beamy horn tweeters are just the extreme case, but even my nearfield-friendly Tannoys require centering, toe-in, and a minimum distance to really perform, though listenable in a wider range of places than most speakers.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    SDA's are easy to position and throw all recomendations out the window. I have yet to hear a "by the book" SDA setup and they have all sounded great.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to the forum.

Nice setup.
  • tubino
    edited December 2007
    tubino, how wide is your room, the room that the SRS's will be in?, the longer the back wall the better, i'd say 18 feet minimum.

Weeelllll.... I think I will be parking these at a friend's house till the holidays are over. (mother-in-law visiting, not the time for setting these up...) But I expect I will put them in a large basement room where they will have some room to breathe, something like the long wall of an 18' x 16' space. The long wall is actually longer, but there's a virtual divide from a storage area, so no reflections back...

It should be pretty easy to do an A-B with Tannoy DMT15's in there. This gives me something to do while waiting for the Edgarhorns to arrive... And that's not a ridiculous comparison... 100 lbs vs 180, 98 db vs 93, both capable of 120+ SPL, retail in 2007 $ sort of in the same league. I'm thinking deHavilland Aries (30 class A watts, power supply with balls) should work well with both.