Hi, I'm tubino, I'm new here...

tubino
tubino Posts: 39
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
and I'm about to buy a pair of Polk SRS speakers! This seems a very friendly and generous place.

I've been dabbling with tubes and tube gear for a while, now getting interested in speakers. Here's a little of my speaker history:

These cabinets with Tannoy Monitor Gold 15s will produce 100db+ of clean music, on a few watts, and the drivers display almost ZERO cone excursion even at 110db:
28221349-M.jpg

The backloaded horn loads the driver so effectively that it is loafing along at 110db. Excursion is sometimes presented as a positive thing, as if more is better. It's okay if the driver can do it, but actually doing it always means more distortion, so it's even better if the driver NEVER has to have much excursion to produce SPL's. I'm not afraid to make cones move generally, but the honest truth is that I believe I would probably damage household items if I ever cranked it to that point with Tannoy 3833 drivers in those cabinets. I got crazy (120db) loud with them, and STILL the cones barely moved. I'm trying different drivers in there, and just put in a pair of Altec 515E's. Waiting to receive some 500hz Edgarhorn salad bowls (should arrive next month) to use as a two-way with those cabinets...

Tannoy GRF-R cabinets, with Monitor Gold 15s:
211100004-M.jpg
Great vintage speakers, with real magic.

Tannoy studio monitors (DMT 15's), deHavilland 845 amps:
139415903-M.jpg
Low distortion, very accurate, quite nice with the right (tube) amp.

I've got heaps of vintage gear too, such as ElectroVoice Georgian 400 speakers, and the usual Dynaco, Fisher, Eico, Lafayette, Heathkit, etc.

You can see from the pictures that the Polk SRS speakers are a big departure for me, with all those little drivers... bug-eyes instead of my usual cyclops speakers!
Post edited by tubino on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    welcome tubino, you got some really top notch looking gear there.. why go with the SRS's though? just curious...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    outstanding !

Very cool stuff !

welcome to Club Polk....stick around ....

I may actually learn something from you :cool:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    welcome tubino, you got some really top notch looking gear there.. why go with the SRT's though? just curious...
    Where did he mention SRT's? :confused:

Glad to see you made it there Rick.

As for Tannoy vs. Polk, they're definitely two different sounds. I primarily use my Tannoy's, but it's nice to mix things up with my Polks too.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Where did he mention SRT's? :confused:

Glad to see you made it there Rick.

As for Tannoy vs. Polk, they're definitely two different sounds. I primarily use my Tannoy's, but it's nice to mix things up with my Polks too.

crap. i must be tired... he said SRS's huh? Oops! ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    I'm sure that HearingImpaired will be interested in your record player.

;)

That's some niiiiiiiiiice looking gear; I won't be the first to say it, but "Welcome !".
    Sal Palooza
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Tubino! You finally made it over here!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I think you're more advanced then the SRS....unless it's just for fun.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    Tubino is a good man with a good rep at AK. Nice to have someone like this aboard.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    Welcome Turbino. Nice setup you got there.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2007
    Welcome tubino!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    nothing wrong with trying a new thing, and there is nothing wrong with letting that new thing be SRS's.

as I'm sure you know better than me, the single digit tube power probably isnt going to drive them right (though it must sound great on Tannoy's, would love to hear a set up like that)

that said, the SRS's are fairly efficient, so you wont need ridiculous power either. I've owned SDA but not the SRS's, so the more experienced will chime in with specifics.

see ya over at Audiokarma all the time, glad to see you stop in here.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • tubino
    edited December 2007
    Gosh, thanks for warm welcome!
    Lasareath wrote: »
    When are you getting the SRS's?

3.5 hours. :) The seller is close by, but I need to make breakfast for my neice, wait till the banks open, run an errand...
    danger boy wrote: »
    welcome tubino, you got some really top notch looking gear there.. why go with the SRS's though? just curious...

You got it with the last two words. I'm just curious. It's easy to see that I have been going in a completely different direction for years. My current project is a big deal for me, just because it involves matching a horn+compression driver to a 15" driver, and coming up with my own simple first-order crossover. In other words, just two completely separate drivers is already more complicated than what I've been using. I've been a KISS guy for years, going with a dual concentric and factory-engineered crossover, but now I'm trying to understand more about speakers and perceived effects. These Polks look like an interesting solution, and they turned up right by me.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Welcom Tubino!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    hmmm... don't I know you from somewhere?
  • tubino
    edited December 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    hmmm... don't I know you from somewhere?
    Yeah, there goes the neighborhood... Are you a Polkster too? A Polkaholic? A Polkmaniac? If you use Polk in your car, is it a Polkswagen?

Yeah, there goes the neighborhood...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    That's a little strange Sal, maybe you just like to see pictures of people when they pick up their Polks...I know I wouldn't bring a camera with me to someones house to take pictures with speakers before I bought them...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,687
    edited December 2007
    Tubino, you can see my little collection of Polks (absent my Model 9As, which I've yet to photograph) at this link if you're interested:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/messages/15/155510.html

(EDIT: BTW, the Monitor 5s were a gift from thedelihaus)
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    We AK members need our own Club Polk subforum.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Bring your Digital Camera, We love to see pictures of when people pick up their polks.

Sal

That's uber lame.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    We AK members need our own Club Polk subforum.

I doubt that.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2007
    Welcome aboard Tubino.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Man you need to clean that vehicle.....gross.

And yes, it's lame to take pictures at someone elses house and I've never had kids but I can assure you it's nothing like bringing home a baby from the hospital.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Sal, now you are changing your story. First you said for him to bring his camera with him to take pictures when he buys them. Now you say that you take the pictures in your driveway, which obviously you wouldn't bring your camera to the sellers house for.

Either way, lame and lame. Should I take a picture of myself(225lbs) in front of my door so I can see myself in relation to my front door or staircase?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    haha, what a picture of me, too bad im almost 40 pounds heavier in that picture than what I weigh right now....I wouldn't call it accurate. Lets stop Tubino's hijack, congratulate the man on the new SRS's and wait for the pictures of THOSE.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    I swear, look at the GREAT gear the thread starts with, and looks where it ends up.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I tried putting it back on track, and even just bumped an old threadto get Sal's comment into that one.

I'm waiting for the pictures of the SRS :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    I know bro, you just can't stop the mouthbreathers sometimes.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I know bro, you just can't stop the mouthbreathers sometimes.

MOUTHBREATHERS... i love it.:D

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2007
    ATTENTION disorders.....very popular in the younger generation these days.

Seems like we can never stay on track for very long anymore.
    Put me in the Old **** category I guess.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable