Kharma/Contest: PS Audio Statement PC

Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
As I was responding to a PM sent to me by Phil (Pearsall001) an idea came to my head. I was going to offer the power cord as a Karma sometime around Christmas but have decided to offer it linked to a contest.

Requirements:

100 posts

The statement: "Different power cords make my gear sound differently" must be included

You must correctly predict Phil's preference in his upcoming preamp shootout (CJ vs. Krell) in order to qualify (so Phil you better get that amp fixed soon or this could drag out:)). One post per person of course.

The winner will be determined by drawing a post number out of a hat (or something else if I can't find a hat:)). If everything is correct you will be sent the PC. If you do not like the PC I ask that you offer a Karma and pass it along to a fellow Polker.

Phil, just before you give us your review, I ask that you post your preference in this thread, which will then close the contest.

Thanks,
Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    Cool one! I'm in. Different power cords make my gear sound differently. CJ of course.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    Krell.

Different power cords make my gear sound differently.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2007
    Cool karma...in please. I've never tried a different power cord, so I hope to find out that "different power cords make my gear sound differently."

and the Krell wins...
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited December 2007
    "Different power cords make my gear sound differently", tried a couple have Signal Cables all around. Krell wins.

CRj
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    "Different power cords make my gear sound differently" , and the PS Plus is my cord of choice..

I have tried a couple, and the SC power cord is definately the best bang for buck, but the PS Plus is the one I prefer on my Cary F1 pre amp.

Again, thanks to the efforts of a good freind, my Cary enjoys the best !!

I`m insky !

And I think It will be a close call...maybe even a tie

but I`m gonna say the CJ will best the Krell by the slimest of margins

Very Kewl Karma

POWER CORDS & I/C`s DO make a difference !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Krell will rip CJ's caps off. Ouch!

HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Krell

Different power cords should make my gear sound differently, however I have not had the opportunity to try one yet.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2007
    Wow!!! Mike,

Great idea for a karma. I'll be more than glad to settle this once & for all. So far up to BaggedLancer it's 2 for the CJ & 5 for the Krell. This is just too cool!! Nothing like a little pressure!!! :D

Which one is my money on???? ;)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited December 2007
    Different power cords make my gear sound differently. I have PS audio all around. CJ will win.

Nice Karma

Jim
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Great Karma!!!

I am in, because Different power cords make my gear sound differently, and I want to see how my gear sounds with a PS Audio Statement PC.

I'm going to say the Krell will win over the CJ. If Phil says that the CJ wins it will only be to reduce my chance of winning this power cord that will make my gear sound better.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    Probably one of greatest ones yet Mike and yes I am in.
    Different power cords make my gear sound differently and I did the blind test as well as asking my wife to see if she could tell the difference.
    CJ gets my vote.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Great Karma!!!

I am in, because Different power cords make my gear sound differently, and I want to see how my gear sounds with a PS Audio Statement PC.

I'm going to say the Krell will win over the CJ. If Phil says that the CJ wins it will only be to reduce my chance of winning this power cord that will make my gear sound better.

Nah!! I'm not pulling any punches on this one. I'll call it exactly as I "hear it"
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I haven't heard the AAD 2001, so this one is tough.

Do they need the bass control and slam of the Krell? Do they need the finesse and detail of the CJ? Will the Krell be too one-dimensional in the midband as the CJ blossoms? Arrrg.

He's got a tube preamp, and a tube D/A.....I'm going with the KRELL. The bass impact and control will be better, and the CJ might sound a little 'soft' on the top end in comparison.

Different power cords make my gear sound differently - see my review of the PS Audio Power Punch here -> http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37703

Cheers,
    Russ

PS - IF by some chance I win, I want my entry to go to BaggedLancer - the dude needs to try an aftermarket PC.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    I'm going with the Krell and I'd love to find out if PC's actually make a difference. I was going to try Signal but will hold off and see if I get lucky!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    That's awesome russ, thanks. Yea, I really wanna try one out in the 2 channel rig.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2007
    In please.
    Krell is going to kill the cj.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,446
    edited December 2007
    Does it have the removable ground pin?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Different power cords make my gear sound differently

Hmmmmmmm....I'm going to go with Krell for about the same reasons that Russ mentioned. I'm also going to say that there may be a case of the hyper detail at first sounds 'better' (sort of like a metal dome tweeter)....but I have to wonder if listener fatigue might become an issue.

(I'm biased to CJ, myself)

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited December 2007
    Different power cords make my gear sound differently
    KRELL

Nice Karma, In please,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited December 2007
    In please! Different power cords make my gear sound differently.

Krell wins
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    In. Awsome karma...Different power cords make my gear sound differently and i vote for Krell
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited December 2007
    In please,and yes different power cords make my gear sound differently.

Been thru alot of them and like any cable in your system,synergy is key.As for the CJ and Krell....I'll go with the Cj.Two totally different sounds here but the tubes will win out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    I'm in! I too want to know if different power cords make my gear sound differently.

I'll go with the Krell.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    Different power cords make my gear sounds different.

I'm going with my Comrade, I mean the Conrad.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    Great Karma! I'm in!

"Different power cords make my gear sound differently"

Phil will pick the CJ.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Great Karma Mike! I have to disqualify myself in that I know Phil's rig very well and I know Phil's taste in rig sound.

Different power cords always make my gear sound differently and better in most cases.

I think Phil is going to choose the CJ. He has a CD player (yucko), TADAC (softens the yucko a bit), then CJ to Krell amp to AAD 2001 with the metal tweeters. Nice rounded out slightly warm system. Now put the Krell pre and the Krell amp and you get cold, clinical, possible digital glare on some CDs and then passed on to the metal tweeters and Phil puts the Krell pre up on the gon!:D
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2007
    Great Karma Mike! I have to disqualify myself in that I know Phil's rig very well and I know Phil's taste in rig sound.

Different power cords always make my gear sound differently and better in most cases.

I think Phil is going to choose the CJ. He has a CD player (yucko), TADAC (softens the yucko a bit), then CJ to Krell amp to AAD 2001 with the metal tweeters. Nice rounded out slightly warm system. Now put the Krell pre and the Krell amp and you get cold, clinical, possible digital glare on some CDs and then passed on to the metal tweeters and Phil puts the Krell pre up on the gon!:D

I have the same thoughts as you do Joe.....but like it or not you are in!
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2007
    Very cool Karma. In please. I would like to try a quality power cord to see how much of difference it makes. I am going to go with the CJ.

Thanks,

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited December 2007
    Nice karma! I'm in and I am very interested to see if "Different power cords make my gear sound differently"

I think it's going to be Krell all the way.

Cheers for the cool karma!
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    I have the same thoughts as you do Joe.....but like it or not you are in!

Well I guess I can't say no to that!:)