Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a Joke!

2»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Rush wasn't any good. RUSH IS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!!!

Meh, I know I'm in the minority in not liking them. I think they're talented musicians, I just don't like their sound at all.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    I read this morning that Madonna is going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

trashcat_410.jpg
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited December 2007
    I am extremely proud to say that I have never even heard of Grand Master Flash or whatever his name is :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    At this point I think Flavor Flav is gonna beat Rush into it:

He gots my vote!

Flavwsambo.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2007
    Madonna shows at my house with the titanium bra thing and her hair in a pony tail, it's party time.

And the only things I like about Rush or Led Zep, is finding their vinyl in mint condition.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Meh, I know I'm in the minority in not liking them. I think they're talented musicians, I just don't like their sound at all.

I fall into the same category.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has simply succumbed to Pop Culture. When they have Jay-Z doing inductions I think it says something about what it's become. It's not that I have an issue with artists like Madonna or Grandmaster Flash. They left their mark on music, whether we like it or not, however neither are anywhere near being in the realm of musicians making Rock & Roll music in any measureable time period in their respective careers.

I think it's stuff like this that has really watered down the various genres of music in to a whole bunch of sub-genres where now they only way to describe music is to compare it to someone elses work.

This truly is unfortunate....
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    I had never heard of "Cheap Trick" before reading through this thread. Then last night driving to meet for a study group I heard their 'Dream Police' on the radio. Would've had no clue, but they announced it on the radio after they played it.

So I just looked them up and see they also did "I Want You to Want Me"....now I definitely know that!!!! That's an awesome song! Certainly better than anything I've heard Madonna do!

I'm going to have to look and see what else I've heard and love and just am not aware that "Cheap Trick" did it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    So I just looked them up and see they also did "I Want You to Want Me"....now I definitely know that!!!! That's an awesome song!

Yeah, I really think that's their only song.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited December 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I am extremely proud to say that I have never even heard of Grand Master Flash or whatever his name is :rolleyes:

Wouldn't know him if he walked in the door myself.

I'm old school enough to be in disbelief the Doobies are not in yet.

Oh, Cheap Trick opened for the last ZZ gig I made, they were a great show.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Yeah, I really think that's their only song.

Ever see "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? Dude had a full on rant in that movie about Cheap Trick and Zep 4. "Dream Police","She's Tight","Surrender",
    etc. You guitar guys would freak over Rick Nielson's collection. World famous.
    They're putting in a museum here in town just for his guitars.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I had never heard of "Cheap Trick" before reading through this thread. Then last night driving to meet for a study group I heard their 'Dream Police' on the radio. Would've had no clue, but they announced it on the radio after they played it.

So I just looked them up and see they also did "I Want You to Want Me"....now I definitely know that!!!! That's an awesome song! Certainly better than anything I've heard Madonna do!

I'm going to have to look and see what else I've heard and love and just am not aware that "Cheap Trick" did it.

They did the theme for That 70's show. They have a been a hard working American Rock and Roll band and their songs were staples on the radio in the late 70's early 80's. Lot's of groups today cite them as huge influences. They obviously cite the Beatles as one of their own huge influences and it shows.

I can't think of a band that still works as hard as they do and still enjoys it and makes good music going on 30 years. Except for a short period of time when the bassist left and came back it's the original line-up. Say what you want they have lasted and proved to be a viable music group and deserve much more recognition than they get.

FWIW, Rolling Stone put them in the top 10 most underrated bands. I recommend everyone have some CT in their music collection. There are plenty of other musicians in R&R HoF that are less deserving.

Cheap Trick is to music what Ron Santo is to baseball, when is he finally going to make it to the Baseball HoF?!!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    They did the theme for That 70's show. They have a been a hard working American Rock and Roll band and their songs were staples on the radio in the late 70's early 80's. Lot's of groups today cite them as huge influences. They obviously cite the Beatles as one of their own huge influences and it shows.

I can't think of a band that still works as hard as they do and still enjoys it and makes good music going on 30 years. Except for a short period of time when the bassist left and came back it's the original line-up. Say what you want they have lasted and proved to be a viable music group and deserve much more recognition than they get.

FWIW, Rolling Stone put them in the top 10 most underrated bands. I recommend everyone have some CT in their music collection. There are plenty of other musicians in R&R HoF that are less deserving.

Cheap Trick is to music what Ron Santo is to baseball, when is he finally going to make it to the Baseball HoF?!!
    Hey, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'll keep a look out for some of their stuff for sale.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited December 2007
    The Hall of Fame is a total farce....AS said before the fact that CHEAP TRICK is not in there is total bullcrap....They are the hardest working rock group.....sold just a few albums and tour basically non-stop.....:confused:
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    At this point I think Flavor Flav is gonna beat Rush into it:

He gots my vote!

Flavwsambo.jpg

Waaaaaaaaaaaa! WTF is a Flava Flav? and why is he all over the tube these days?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    so do you just have to be nominated to be inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame or what?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: