Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a Joke!

pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I read this morning that Madonna is going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What a joke! It's bad enough that Grand Master Flash or whatever/whoever he/they are got in, but her? Is this the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Rap and Pop Hall of Fame? This is just ridiculous. Meanwhile, a great (Rock) band like Rush has yet to even be nominated. The whole thing is a joke institution. It's the same thing with Rolling Stone. It used to be a Rock magazine, now there seems to be an article about Tupak ever other month. Very sad to see the progression of Rock music these days. Am I the only one who feels this way??

:mad:
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Agreed on everything except that Rush was any good.

Music is all so subjective anyway, who's to say who belongs in the "hall of fame". It's all a marketing ploy. Even if they try to play it off as "people who CHANGED or CONTRIBUTED to rock" rather than those who were great at it... pff.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited December 2007
    I have to agree because hacks get into the R&R HoF all the time. A band that certainly deserves it but hasn't made it yet is Cheap Trick (my hometown boys). Christ, the Beastie Boys made it in before Cheap Trick. Grand Master Flash not worthy IMO, but Madonna was a force to be reckoned with in the 80's. While not the worlds greatest singer she is R&R HoF worthy. No denying her impact good or bad.

The day Britney Spears makes it into the R & R HoF is the day the earth will end.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pmckeealaska
    edited December 2007
    I absolutely have to disagree with you heiney. Why? Because Madonna is a pop star, she is NOT Rock and Roll. Period. I will not deny her impact on music over the last 25 years, but her impact has been in the pop/dance realm, not rock.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    I absolutely have to disagree with you heiney. Why? Because Madonna is a pop star, she is NOT Rock and Roll. Period. I will not deny her impact on music over the last 25 years, but her impact has been in the pop/dance realm, not rock.

The problem is the R&R HoF encompasses all types of music. Perhaps they should rename it. James Brown isn't rock music but he's in there. Maybe when the HoF was started they intended for it to be good old American R&R but you are right it has other musicians as well who don't really fit into the definition of Rock-n-Roll.

The phrase Rock and Roll has become a generic term over the past decades and it encompasses many cross over types of music when the term is used.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Perhaps it should be renamed The Music Hall of Fame.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    I don't know when the term "Pop" came into being, but as far as I'm concerned it is simply an offshoot of Rock. Madonna's kind of songs certainly can't be classified in Jazz, classical, R & B, etc.

She's just as eligible as anyone else as far as I'm concerned.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    I read this morning that Madonna is going to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What a joke! It's bad enough that Grand Master Flash or whatever/whoever he/they are got in, but her? Is this the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Rap and Pop Hall of Fame? This is just ridiculous. Meanwhile, a great (Rock) band like Rush has yet to even be nominated. The whole thing is a joke institution. It's the same thing with Rolling Stone. It used to be a Rock magazine, now there seems to be an article about Tupak ever other month. Very sad to see the progression of Rock music these days. Am I the only one who feels this way??

:mad:

Completly and totaly agree with you on Rush. Makes no sence...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Precisely!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »

I agree that maybe there should be one Music Hall of Fame. However, that would mean eliminating the ____________ (fill in the blank with your favorite genre of music) Hall of Fame, no?

Also missing from the RnR HoF....Genesis (perhaps on their own Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins) , Chicago, Moody Blues, Yes, Doobie Brothers, etc.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    Ahhh, April Wine! That's a band I haven't thought of for a while! They had a live LP recorded in a small venue when they were the warm-up band for the Rolling Stones. I think it was Live at the El Macumba or something like that. There was a song on that album called "We're all Juvinile Delinquents" or something similar that runs thru my head every once in a while (normally when a little residue from the '70's breaks loose :o ).
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    "To date, it has never been reissued on CD" - too bad! That was a good album with a great live sound. I saw them live at the Maintenance Shop at Iowa State University, probably around 1979.

Another great band from the northeast was the Good Rats. Pepi Marcello and his band put out an album called Rat City in Blue that was recorded in one of the band members basement if I remember correctly. It was reissued on CD, I found the CD version at a music store right off the Boston Common a few years ago.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Madonna...in the R&R Hall of Fame? The world is ending.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Blasphemer!!!!:confused:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    What did you expect? They put the F**kin' thing in CLEVELAND!
    All because of that STUPID DJ.
    GAFFF!!!
    And he was't the 1st person to coin the term 'rock & roll'- it was euphemism for F**king by Blues artist's
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    Grandmaster Flash may not belong in the R&R hall of fame, but I'll be damned if I will sit idly by and listen to you guys disparage him!:cool:

White Lines, The Message, and Rapper's Delight are songs that revolutionized rap. It actually means something - not this crap that so called "rappers" are putting out today. Say what you want about the genre, but GF, Mellie Mel and the Furious Five had GREAT BEATS and the lyrics were awesome.

Just felt the need to stick up for my boys. God help you all if any of you say anything bad about Run DMC............;)

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • ND13
    edited December 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Run DMC............;)

He's the best damn runningback in college football!!:p
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    I knew the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was going to be a joke when they decided that it should go in Cleveland rather than Philly. WTF is in Cleveland?

No offense to you Cleveland folks.

Oh yeah and Rush?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

I nominate the Backside Boys, I mean the Back Street Boys for entry into Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Shame!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    ^^^^ Are you making fun of 'bubble gum rock'?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2007
    The day The Ramones and The Clash found their way into the Hall of Fame, I had a renewed interest. Anyone that thinks Grand Master Flash shouldn't be inducted into the Hall has a very limited view of the history of music.

We're talking revolutionaries. Not every single classic rock band that ever graced God's green earth.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • pmckeealaska
    edited December 2007
    Fine, then create a rap hall of fame. GMF is rap, not rock, and neither is Madonna and everyone knows it. This is not brain surgery people.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    ^^^^ Are you making fun of 'bubble gum rock'?

Nahhhh how about the Bay City Rollers?:D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    What isn't crap is the Country Music Hall of Fame - I'm glad we stopped by for the tour on the long drive back home from Latrobe. Incredible, simply incredible. I can't wait to go back. The Opry was neat too.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    What isn't crap is the Country Music Hall of Fame - I'm glad we stopped by for the tour on the long drive back home from Latrobe. Incredible, simply incredible. I can't wait to go back. The Opry was neat too.

Is Johnny Cash in there? or is he in the Rock & Roll HoF?
  • ND13
    edited December 2007
    I think he may be in both.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Everyone important in early blues, rock, and country is in there. It was amazing the list of music I walked out with to purchase.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    Live at the El Mocambo (Wiki) Ah, the good ol' days!

I think Muddy Waters was at the show as well...doing Manish Boy with the Stones
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Rush wasn't any good. RUSH IS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!!!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited December 2007
    Adding Madonna et al into the HOF is simply economics. It opens it up to different demographics that otherwise would not have gone there. It's plain and simple. Soon enough Rush and Cheap Trick will be in there.