Worst actor/ress on TV

2»

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    IMO, a good actor can convincingly play a variety of roles, some of which are far removed from his/her natal personality. Folks like John Wayne are uni-dimensional; in every movie he plays the same guy. Al Pacino belongs in this category, as well. So does Arnold Schwarzenegger. They may be popular actors, but that doesn't make them good.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    William Shatner, Katharine Hepburn, & all the other Capt's. of ST were originally trained in the theater. Because it is a different medium from tv they needed to be a bit broader when on the stage. They naturally brought that training with them when they transferred to tv. And had a bit of a harder time scaling it back for the purposes of tv.
    Hence many get accused of overacting. But I will take their overacting any day from the "models" who don't have a shred of training & can't act their way out of paper bags!
    To play the role of a captain of anything, you have to be a bit bigger than
    life. Same in real life. Enterprise the starship, or Enterprise the carrier,
    the ol' man better be up to it. Unfortunately, this same quality makes
    the same actor a poor choice for other roles.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Al Pacino belongs in this category, as well.

Pacino has kind of transformed into this person (tough guy who likes to yell). In his younger days I think he was a little more versatile though.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    Based on the 15 minutes I was forced to watch last night George Lopez is horrible...along with that buddy of his. There is nothing I've seen out of Lopez that is funny.

Shatner is great...His priceline commercials crack me up. He had a cameo on Brad Paisley's country music video ("Onlline") playing the father of geek Jason Alexander which was pretty funny as well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BSmart
    BSmart Posts: 18
    edited December 2007
    Great thread. Make mine Caruso hands down. Unbelievable this guy can make a living "acting". His best role was the **** cop in First Blood. Role that was perfect for him. I even chuckle during the CSI commercials. Shatner is perfect for his role on Boston Legal. The guy has to have a sense of humor to play Denny Crane.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited December 2007
    I will have to add Bob Saget..
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    You also have to remember that John Wayne & actors of that era came up when actors were basically owned by the studio that paid them. So if they wanted him to play the same type of man over & over again, that is what he did. He had a family to support after all.

It would be interesting to see if he would be as popular now that the hollywood system is dead.

Early B. wrote: »
    IMO, a good actor can convincingly play a variety of roles, some of which are far removed from his/her natal personality. Folks like John Wayne are uni-dimensional; in every movie he plays the same guy. Al Pacino belongs in this category, as well. So does Arnold Schwarzenegger. They may be popular actors, but that doesn't make them good.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    IMO: George Clooney! 1 EYEBROW & 1 FACIAL EXPRESSION!!!
    And don't be rippin' on Bill, he's so bad, he's actually good
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    The guy from Law and Order is awesome...

How can you guys not enjoy that? lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Pacino has kind of transformed into this person (tough guy who likes to yell). In his younger days I think he was a little more versatile though.

What are you kidding? He was great in Henry the V,

"A hoss ma kingdom fa a hoss!";)
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    For worst actress........ I'm sorry, but, I gotta go all the back to the 70's, with 'Dee'-the little sister on 'Whats Happenin'. She'd read her lines right off the cue cards -IN THE SCENE?-unbelievable.
    It was painful just to watch.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!