My damn cat just caught a bat

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
In the house.

This is the second time since I moved in. I can't figure out where they're coming from, but she finds them and at least knocks them to the ground. The damn thing is still in the house, but I have it caught and am just waiting for it to calm down (read - die) before I throw it outside and run away like a little girl. The cat is currently residing in the bathroom.

She doesn't kill them, just knocks them down and pisses them off.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• nadams
    edited December 2007
    Did I mention that I was quite well asleep until the shrieking started?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited December 2007
    The bat has been evicted, quite still alive. I heard it hit the ground when I threw it out the window, so there's a good possibility the cat injured it. There's also a good possibility the ****'s okay.

I let the cat out of the bathroom... she seemed rather disinterested in the whole episode.

I've degermified my hands, and can now go back to sucking my thumb and dreaming of vampires. Damn that thing had one hell of a set of teeth on it.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    keep some garlic and Holy water next to your bed for the next few nights at least just in case :p;)

cats are great though for vermits like that and the creepy crawly ones too. My cat loves spiders. :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    Nadams, you do realize that your cat is knocking those bats down because it's afraid that those bats are going to blow its cover ?

vampirecat02.jpg

If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open because ......

Your Cat Does !!

:eek:
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    edited December 2007
    If you wake up and look in the mirror and look like this.... just think of all the money you could make off the tabloids :D :eek: :p
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    My brother had one land on his leg once. They're ugly close up.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    You sure that wasn't F1Nut?

I'm manly but a bat landing on my leg would freak me the F out.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I'm not manly at all and would most likely pee myself.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,425
    edited December 2007
    I understand the "run away like a little girl" thing. Here's a snap of the first tenant in our new bedroom. Just standing in the same room with it as it swooped around made my skin crawl.

Could've used your cat!

Jay

STA70943.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited December 2007
    Bats are good critters. Just throw a towel over them and release outside. Take care not to let them bite you as some do carry rabies. They keep the bug population in check. You can even buy them custom houses so they stay comfortable. They are probably getting in your house through an eave vent, ridge vent, or gable end vent. They can squeeze through a tiny crack you wouldn't believe they could fit through.

All that said, if they really creep you out, a tennis racquet is lots of fun as bat control. Just be sure you don't whack 'em too hard or You'll have a mess to clean off the walls (don't ask how I know that).
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    Well I hope Jesse is ok after you threw him out the window.:eek::D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Did you check your cat to make sure she didn't get bit? And is she updated on her rabies & other shots?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2007
    This cat is in training to be a better batter.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2007
    My cat in NY used to bring home dead bats all the time, they were huge. They will not hurt you unless you threaten them. The rabies thing is the biggest fear. Bats cannot see very well and use their sonar shrieks to navigate. Try to find where they are entering the house and plug it. Great Stuff expanding foam may help fill the gaps.
    Venom
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Bats are rats with wings.

I see them flying around street lights. Birds flap their wings with a constant beat.
    Bats go: flap, flap, flap.... soar... flap, flap, flap....soar <repeat>. Bats aren't nearly as well-suited for flight as birds.

I work in the middle of a very large factory. Every once in a while, a bat will soar by and I wonder if they have the sense to get back outside. The food sources (for a bat) have got be scarce inside.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    hey, is that cat always limited to the bathroom, or dies it roam around the house. if it roams, Im surprised a bat is ballsey enough to come into the house. if the cat is limited to the bathroom, let it have run of the house. yes, a c at all through the house might be a PITA, but the chances of you having mice...and BATS should decrease.

me having 4 cats can be a PITA at times, butI could smear my walls with easy cheese and probably never get a mouse.....or at least that little **** aint gonna last long.

cat ownership does have the perks.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • nadams
    edited December 2007
    The cat is fine... and the bat wasn't sitting on the sidewalk when I left this morning, so it must've wandered off. And Lou, the cat has the run of the house, I only put her in the bathroom while I was disposing of the bat so that she wouldn't cause any more trouble. I do have to wonder how she does it, though. And where it came from... I've got lots of open spaces for it to get into somewhere like the attic, but there's no way that I can see for it to get down from the attic.

It might've possibly come through a small gap in an ill-fitting window upstairs.... which is even more creepy since it was found downstairs. Damn thing was a traveling bat.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I was hearing bats all last night, thanks Noah.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    I remember camping out in Panament Valley, laying in the open bed of my truck and having bats (lot's of them) swooping down to within inches of my face. It was creepy.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I like to spread guano on my toast.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    Austin, where I went to college, has a very ample bat population. Sometimes you'll drive by a tree and wonder why the birds in it look kind of funny. . . then you realize they are all bats.

Tennis racks and bats reminds me of the Great Outdoors (Akroyd and Candy. . . rip) and/or Black Sheep (Spade and Farley. . . rip).
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Have any of you done the trick where you throw a pebble up in the air near a bat and watch them go after it? It's pretty funny.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    The cat is fine... and the bat wasn't sitting on the sidewalk when I left this morning, so it must've wandered off. And Lou, the cat has the run of the house, I only put her in the bathroom while I was disposing of the bat so that she wouldn't cause any more trouble. I do have to wonder how she does it, though. And where it came from... I've got lots of open spaces for it to get into somewhere like the attic, but there's no way that I can see for it to get down from the attic.

It might've possibly come through a small gap in an ill-fitting window upstairs.... which is even more creepy since it was found downstairs. Damn thing was a traveling bat.

that's a ballsy bat!!!! normally the scent/presence of a cat keeps critters away, may bats dont smell?

use the great stuff gap filler, or caulk on the gap in the window. good to do in any case, be it where the bat came in or not.

cats will always go for animals in reach, I had a cat somehow kill a bird and leave it for me at my front door INSIDE THE HOUSE. somehow, this indoor cat got a bird outside and brought it inside. when the cat leaves it for you, its there way of giving you a gift believe it or not, like there providing for the house or some duch silliness.

cats, gotta love em, and occasionally hate em
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    The problem with them "leaving" you the gift Lou, is they don't expect for you to TAKE IT!

Once Tami realized that I would take HER toy, she wouldn't let me get anywhere near it. I would have to fight her to get it away. Most times I won the battle. Other times I would come home to pick up what was left of the mouse in different parts of the house!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    I had a male tabby that the wife and I rescued from downtown Nashville. It was about 5 years old when we got him and was effin huge, close to 30lbs, when we first got him. After de-worming and a steady diet of Science diet, he lost about 10 lbs, but still a huge alpha male, til snip time anyways:(. He was an indoor/outdoor cat and brought creatures of all sorts to our doorstep almost daily. Lou's right, that's their way of giving back to their provider.

We have two cats today. Our old girl, Scout, is 14 years old in January and the new boy on the block, Tiggy, is 5 months old. He's been with us for about a month now, and is a great kitten. Scout is finally gettin used to him getting some of her luvins. Cats can get very jealous. It's been a long time since we've had a kitten...they're a blast..........until they attack your toe in the middle of the night, while you're in the middle of your slumber.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cruzer
    cruzer Posts: 84
    edited December 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Austin, where I went to college, has a very ample bat population. Sometimes you'll drive by a tree and wonder why the birds in it look kind of funny. . . then you realize they are all bats.

Tennis racks and bats reminds me of the Great Outdoors (Akroyd and Candy. . . rip) and/or Black Sheep (Spade and Farley. . . rip).

Ugh. Bugs would probably be awful without the bats here in Austin. Quite incredible to watch em come out at night.

Go to UT, Andy?
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    i had a friend of mine that moved into a house she rented with some other friends constanly find bats in the house. the landlord wound not do anything about it and she called a bat expert and he came by and looked around and told her that there here hundred of bats that live in old houses. they come in through small cracks like an inch wide next to windows chimneys and they live inside the walls and behind the siding.
    it was pretty freaky but i wonder if the guy was telling the truth since he was trying to make a buck.

they moved out within a week.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »

One of the times I was down in Austin I got to see all the bats coming out from under the Congress St bridge, it was wild.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I had a girlfriend who lived out east on long island. At night, while relaxing in her pool, bats used to circle overhead all the time. They never came down and bothered us though. Too bad I didn't know about the pebble trick back then. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    edited December 2007
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    This cat is in training to be a better batter.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! now that's funny!!