Credit Cards - Too many to choose from

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, it's time for me to get a new credit card. I just canceled my Best Buy one because I haven't used it in over a year and it was only good at best buy.

Currently I have a Citi Platinum Select Mastercard that I use for the everyday stuff but there are no real rewards on it.

I am looking for a credit card that will get me a 0% for atleast a year and have some sort of skymiles program attached to it since I want to do some traveling in coming years. Also, it would be a bonus if the card didn't have to be paid in full each month(like American Express) but it not necessary since I am capable of paying my balances.

Please don't lecture me on being careful with credit cards, etc. I have had one since before I was 18(co-signed) and have had my own under just my name since 19. I purchased my own car under my name and my credit as well. I understand full well how to handle my expenses. But thank you for your concern. :D

Now, back to the cards......what's everyone using to rack up those skymiles? I always put gas on my credit card so I rememeber hearing something about gas pumps paying up to 5x on certain cards but can't find those.

Any links/feedback/opinions with customer service, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks.
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    SkyMiles are for suckers. The conversation begins and ends with the Chase Freedom card. YOu get 3% back on gas and groceries, 1% back on everything else. Cash back beats BS rewards any day of the week.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
    fatwallet thread

There should be plenty with 0% for a year. If you are a student I hear the mtvU card is nice with 5%. Its getting hard to find 5% rewards cards now.

I love my Chase Rewards Plus. 5% cash back on gas, groceries, and drug stores. Can't get it anymore though :(
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    SkyMiles are for suckers. The conversation begins and ends with the Chase Freedom card. YOu get 3% back on gas and groceries, 1% back on everything else. Cash back beats BS rewards any day of the week.

Hmm, how many skymiles does it take to actually buy a ticket? Only reason I wanted one is cause my parents use them and get free tickets yearly. Does it really take that many?

Also, it seems that most of the skymiles cards have huge yearly fees...
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    The only time that using a credit card makes any sense at all is if you get a 20% discount on the purchase for using the store's card.

Yes, there are reward cards out there.
    But, I've never found the benefit worth the risk (and hassle).
    Its much more satisfying to me to just pay cash and not have to worry about any future bill that is going to have to be made.

Credit cards are a 3% middle-man on any purchase.
    Do the economy and yourself a favor... cut them out of your life.
    Even if they pay you back 1%... they are still "winning" 2% of the transaction.

Credit cards are a little like "Global Thermonuclear War" or "tic-tac-toe"... the only winning move is not to play.
  • vlam
    vlam Posts: 282
    edited December 2007
    If you have a citi card already, look at some of the other citi cards. It's easy to do BT with citi and it's not a problem getting multiples card from them. I recently got their home rebate card with 12 months 0% BT with no fees and BT right into my checking account.
    Main Gear
    Panasonic 50" Plasma, Polk LSi15 (Front), LSiC, LSi7 (Rear), Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080, AM-9080 bi-amp to LSi15, AM-9080 bi-amp to LSiC and LSi7.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    that mtvU card looks awesome.....I'm reading about it right now. And because I have a mastercard, i wouldn't mind having a visa as well.
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    The only time that using a credit card makes any sense at all is if you get a 20% discount on the purchase for using the store's card.

Its much more satisfying to me to just pay cash and not have to worry about any future bill that is going to have to be made.

Credit cards are a little like "Global Thermonuclear War" or "tic-tac-toe"... the only winning move is not to play.

Please disregard all of the above... seriously.

As long as you are responsible credit cards are the safest form of payment. I get $50 a month cash back, just for buying my gas and groceries and everyday purchases.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2007

Joshua, is that you? :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007

Thanks, but I am 22 years old and it is essential for me to build my credit early so I can eventually buy/mortgage a house for myself. I have been paying cash for everything but my credit score isn't going anywhere.

Unfortunately in this day and age, no credit = no house, no car, no loans, etc.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Considering the source I'm sure everyone ignored that comment anyway.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2007
    Bagged: Move up through the citicard lineup, you might not get the 0% intro APR but you know that's a trap anyway already. If you are already on the platinum lineup, move to the dividend select and then on to the dividend world. None of them should charge a fee and give the 5%/3%/1% cash back. I started with them with a $2K limit when I was 20, 10 years later I have great credit scores, all kinds of freebies and unlimited credit on the card. If you have a good, reliable job it makes NO sense to pay cash for anything that you can use a CC for. By running both my business and household expenses through one card, I get $400-$700 back every year. YMMV

Sky miles SUCK!!! to reliably get a ticket, you generally need 120K, sometimes you can get them for 60K or even 30K but those are VERY limited. I did the math once and I would receive about $400 in cash back by the time I'd get a free ticket. To me, that's a no brainer. I'll take the cash. The only reason I still have a miles card is that my company pays the fees and I only use it for airline travel.

Edit: Just saw your already using the citi select (I'm not very good at that reading thing) It's probably still the best card for you unless you can get them to move you to the dividend world card.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2007
    Search for the thread where Trey asked the same question. The Chase Freedom card that Bob recommended is the one I personally use most. MTVu is excellent if you can use the points. Another good one is Amex w/5% cash back on gas but only if you are a big spender, 5% back after $6500 I think. For my personal spending needs I got more $ back using the Chase for everything.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Avoid Chase bank "anything" like the plaque. You've been warned. 2nd hint, anytime you receive any coorespondence from Chase, you had better break out the maginifying glass and read every square inch of that mailer....

I was a 9 year, double-minimum payment customer with these **** with a perfect credit score. They sent an "OPT OUT" letter to an incorrect address---FOR ME. By the time I got it, it was too late. A letter to Chase with zerox copies of the mis-sent mail (their fault) was sent certified/return receipt. Chases' response: "Not our problem sir, sorry no adjustment will be made." My APR went from 6.49% to 19.99% OVERNIGHT. Luckily I did a balance transfer to another card and got rid of these **** once and for all. On my final payment I wrote "Chase, you suck" all over the envelope--childish? Hell ya, but it sure felt good. That final payment was sent registered/return receipt as well.

again, you've been warned. See the "Chasebanksucks" website (if it's still out there).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Avoid Chase bank "anything" like the plaque. You've been warned.

Same for Capital One...They are idiots.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    Hmm... I've never had issues with Chase, but I only have a credit card with them, no banking.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Search for the thread where Trey asked the same question. The Chase Freedom card that Bob recommended is the one I personally use most. MTVu is excellent if you can use the points. Another good one is Amex w/5% cash back on gas but only if you are a big spender, 5% back after $6500 I think. For my personal spending needs I got more $ back using the Chase for everything.

I believe that was Audiobliss -

Just helping the people who plan to search! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I'm in a different boat than audiobliss. That was his first credit card and obviously very limited choices. I saw his thread but deemed it not relevant because I was looking for something more from a card.

Having good credit already opens up more doors for me with other, better cards.

EDIT: My other quesiton is should I decided to "upgrade" to the Citi Dividend Select Mastercard, should I open it as a second account and keep my Platinum Select or should I see if I can upgrade my Platinum select?
  • Gaara
    edited December 2007
    Avoid Chase bank "anything" like the plaque. You've been warned. 2nd hint, anytime you receive any coorespondence from Chase, you had better break out the maginifying glass and read every square inch of that mailer....

again, you've been warned. See the "Chasebanksucks" website (if it's still out there).

Have any links? I found a few sentences about it but not much, the site is now a bottled water site? I would be very interested as I am disputing a charge with them now and haven't heard anything back in 3 weeks.
  • Gaara
    edited December 2007
    I believe that was Audiobliss

Just helping the people who plan to search! :)

found it

Dam only a month ago and I can't even remember who started it. It was AB's thread, thanks. Credit card info starts on Pg2
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    Same for Capital One...They are idiots.

YESSIR!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Hmm... I've never had issues with Chase, but I only have a credit card with them, no banking.

Just be sure to read all coorespondence from them--no matter how generic it looks. They are slippery ****.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Have any links? I found a few sentences about it but not much, the site is now a bottled water site? I would be very interested as I am disputing a charge with them now and haven't heard anything back in 3 weeks.

That was about 3-4 years ago. They still send me offers, they go right into the firepit.

The site is probably shut down. Make sure all coorespondence is registered mail/return receipt, make copies of EVERYTHING. Good luck...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    yeah... I imagine that goes for most credit card companies.

I'm actually expecting an end to my 5% days. You can no longer get the card I have and its only a matter of time before they decide to change the terms more in their favor. Until then, I'll take them for every dime I can :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Once again I saw AB's thread and I am looking for a different kind of card. The college student cards are great, but offer low credit limits, short intro APR's, high ending APR's, and the rewards are too short.

That being said, I am going to rules "Cards for College Students" out of the question. If it's tagged with "for College Students" it's not for me.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    yeah... I imagine that goes for most credit card companies.

You're absolutely right!
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2007
    I'd take a look at your monthly expenses and see where most of your money goes, then target the card that give you the best % cash back for those categories.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2007
    I have been extremely pleased with my 10 year old American Express Blue. Never any problems, no opt out notices, no slippery practices---and a human being when you call. Not the best interest rate, but well worth the lack of ****, and their top notch service.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I'd take a look at your monthly expenses and see where most of your money goes, then target the card that give you the best % cash back for those categories.

Gas, food, gym, retail purchases, netflix, etc.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I have been extremely pleased with my 10 year old American Express Blue. Never any problems, no opt out notices, no slippery practices---and a human being when you call. Not the best interest rate, but well worth the lack of ****, and their top notch service.

Looking at the Blue Cash right now as a matter of fact....looks like a nice card...only issue I see isn't American Express is accepted everywhere....
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007

I agree with AmEx and it is my only CC...but...they are not universally accepted. Unfortunately there are still some places that don't take the card which is a PITA.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson