Whats wrong with my computer??

dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
My computer is acting up every time I go to a attached file it locks up! Its about 4.5 yrs old, should I get rid of it? thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Kinda skimpy on the details there. Attached file on what, email? Any kind of file? Images?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    I have yet to have a pc last that long. The only one that even came close, was a custom one I had built(3 yrs).
    Do you have version 2 of XP? You may just want to reformat & reload the o.s., updates, etc.
    It could be anything, software, hardware, viruses?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    I'm a firm believer in nuking and repaving the hard drive every year, no matter what operating system is used. The performance gain is worth the hours spent. Plus, it forces one to get rid of items no longer needed. You may want to max out the ram if you haven't already done so. The speed boost is very apparent.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    Back everything up pronto!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    I give away/sell so many computers that most of my OS loads dont ever go over a year anyways. I made a pc for a friend of mine's mother...it was a celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz back in late 1999...she only uses it for email and bingo/slot machine/card games ...but she uses it daily and it is still running flawless ( So much for the rumor that the 300A's life expectancy was cut to 2 years when overclocked to the 100MHz bus :) ) .

She wont let either of us touch it...I went and checked it...all her programs are running great. So thats like 8 years plus and still going like the energizer bunny....

( Win98SE OS )
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    I have yet to have a pc last that long. The only one that even came close, was a custom one I had built(3 yrs).
    Do you have version 2 of XP? You may just want to reformat & reload the o.s., updates, etc.
    It could be anything, software, hardware, viruses?

You fix is going to a apple store and buying a Imac or any mac computer for that matter. They last longer and don't break every other or everytime you use it.

Dan The Mac man.

:D
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    You fix is going to a apple store and buying a Imac or any mac computer for that matter. They last longer and don't break every other or everytime you use it.

Dan The Mac man.

:D

Sounds like Mac's are having a LOT of issues with the new Leopard OS...

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9806005-37.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/leopard-osx-problems,review-1028.html

Looks like they are releasing workaround updates ... :)...sound familiar ?
    Along with many other issues...Security analysts say Leopard firewall security weaker than Tiger's......Leopard bug can delete data with file transfers ( The workaround is to do a copy instead of a move, then delete the original. :eek: )sounds like Mac is mimicking microsoft and taking it a step further :D

You can't paint a lasts longer picture on the other side either...the hardware is basically the same with neither side ahead or behind the other ( Just remember..you cant compare sleeve based fan equipped extremely cheap 299 hp cheapies with 2K Mac hardware...it has to be like price hardware of course )...its all software related issues and Mac is **** the pooch on this new release.

I am actually contemplating buying a new Mac just to test the new OS , so I dont favor either side.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    Thanks I have the old xp,it locks up on about any file web site or email.Im a self taught computer person which means I know very little!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited December 2007
    Oh come on I got my Micron PIII 350 to run for 8 years and only ever replaced the power supply. Still have original keyboard and mouse. Of course I'm and IT guy and rebuild it yearly. Finally upgraded to a laptop w/ Vista.

Ask someone at your place of employement, in the IT dept if they do side work. Have them reload the O/S from scratch and your program files. You should get another couple years out of it easily.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    I found the problem every time I check my email the computer locks up,what do you all think it is?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    dholmes wrote: »
    I found the problem every time I check my email the computer locks up,what do you all think it is?

Gonorrhea for sure. You better get that checked out at the doctor.
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    I got the clap? Also I noticed when I try to view the babes on the tastful thread & try to enlarge the pics it locks up also.thanks,ps Im using my whifes hp lap top its nice & fast!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    I vote PEBKAC.

Unless more/better information on the problem is given.

For those of you suggesting to reformat the hard drive and start over, that's not an option IMO. That's a last ditch effort when everything else has failed.

dholmes, get more specific with your problem statement. It's entirely too vague to get you any decent help with it especially since none of us can see your problems.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    Thanks like I said if I try to view the att thumnails & open my email it locks up I have to restart the computer.Web seaching it works fine.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    See, you are just repeating yourself. You need to tell us what email program you are using. You need to tell us what kind of attachment files lock it up. Is it just pictures or do documents and zip files do it too?

You need way more info. I'm not going to sit here and guess and hope I hit the target.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Sigh. OK, I'll bite.

What program are you using to check your email? I have a strange inkling you have hotmail - are you checking your email via the web or via a separate program like Outlook? What web browser are you using when the computer crashes opening attachments? Internet explorer, or Firefox, or other? Have you ever run Windows update? When this happens, does it just lock up completely and you can't do anything, or is it just the program you're using that locks up? Do you get a blue screen of death or just it just freeze?

DETAILS, DHOLMES! DETAILS!

What you're asking is like me saying "my car won't start. What's wrong?"
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    Run Advanced WindowsCare Personal to get your puter cleaned up first.
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    What I do is go to my isp & get my email that way,I get no blue screen it just locks up & will not let me close anything. Documents & pics do it.Thamks everyone !
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
  • obieone
    edited December 2007
    Have you EVER run Windows Update? Do you have (Windows XP)service pack 2?
    If you don't know the answers, don't sweat it. It's real easy. open Internet explorer,go to the tools tab-upper left hand corner, click it & scroll down to Windows update& click it
    The computer will do the rest-I just hope you don't have dial up:-)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    Uh oh...I was excited to get leopard when I came home for break, now I'm nervous :(
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
    Somebody set up us the bomb.
  • obieone
    edited December 2007
    F**CKIT- buy a new pc!
  • dholmes
    edited December 2007
    Thanks I did a windows up-date it didnt help.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Sounds like a registry problem.....did you try running a registry fix yet? If that fails get yourself a hard drive diagnostic tool and check for bad sectors.

Depending on how much time/files you have invested in that machine, I would probably just pull of your data files and reformat it. I have found from experience that sometimes even when you fix the blue screen error it leads to other problems, which lead to other problems, etc.