If *you* had Monitor 4's....

erinrobb
erinrobb Posts: 16
edited November 2002 in Speakers
I'm new to posting, but I've been reading here for quite awhile.

My father-in-law moved into a new house and gave me his old speakers, a pair of perfect Monitor 4's, and I fell in love right away; I'm thinking of using them for home theater (away from the TV, of course), and I've got what I think is a good voice match for the rears in M3II's, and the PSW450 is on the way (oh boy oh boy!).

What would you folks suggest for a center channel?

Robb
Post edited by erinrobb on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    First of all, welcome aboard.

Refresh my memory, I had Monitor 6 and Mini-Montiors (now farmed out to other forum members), did the Monitor 4 sport a 1-inch poly dome? I think it did.

If its the soft-dome I think it is, a GREAT match would be an older CS200, 250, 150, 100 (which can be had very reasonably on ebay).

Of course, if you can find another pair of Mon 4's, and use one as center, the result would be a seemless front soundstage. (keep the other for parts, or for a rear-center at a later date).

A new CSi20 should mate well also, as should the recently discontinued CS175.

However, if you are thinking upgrades could be in your not-so-distant future, you may want to bag a tri-lam center, like the 245, 300, 350, 400, 30, 40. It won't be absolutley seemless (only identical speakers will - Mon 4) but I don't think it would be bothersome either, it should blend fairly well. The same 'Polk' tonal signature is still there, imo.

Let us know how your search progresses, and what you end up with pulling center duty.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • erinrobb
    edited November 2002
    Thanks, Rooster!

I actually considered finding another Monitor 4 for the center, but I had two issues. First, since it's not shielded, wouldn't I have to put the thing pretty far above/away from the screen? And second, I haven't been able to find the *exact* same speakers... these have a fuse in the back, and Mon 4's I've seen on eBay haven't had that. Also, these seem to have someone's initials in white chalk in the inside of the grille cover... anyone seen this, or is a common Polk thing?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    You can always epoxy a 'bucking' or 'cancellation' magnet to the mag on the driver, and shield it yourself if need be. Very cheap, and easy to do.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • erinrobb
    edited November 2002
    How about setting them on an iron shelf? We're out in the Colorado hinterland, but I know some metal working guys....

...Or am I being too lazy about shielding?
  • Calvin Lane
    Calvin Lane Posts: 2
    edited November 2002
    erinrobb, I just read your post and feel like we both have the same speakers. I bought some Polk Monitors in 1988...they have been in storage. I want to use them for a new surround setup in the Family Room. Thing is, I'm not sure if these are M-4s or WHAT? The only narkings on them is on the rear whre ther is a barcode and the letters MR-33427. Does this sound like the speakers you got from your father-in-law?

I have some Polk M-3 IIs for the surrounds and a CS-100 for the center, and I just added a PSW-350 for the sub.

My main concern is whether I will be happy with (??) M-4s for the front and what would be a good match if I buy something else.
  • erinrobb
    edited November 2002
    First of all, Calvin, that's a lot more numbers than I have on the back of my speakers! I don't know, I don't even have a barcode.

Second, thought I should pop back in and update... I talked with Ken (well, emailed), and it turns out the bucking magnets aren't an option for the M4s, since the resulting apparatus would be too big for the cabinet. Also, he suggested that it wouldn't be enough of a countermeasure, anyhow, to put it right on the TV.

Sooo....I'm buying a CS175i from Frank Z, thanks to all the warm fuzzies I get on this forum. I'll blab some more when I wire it up.

It's like joining a little cult. Love it.

Robb
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Good deal Robb, and thanks for the info on the M4 regarding the shielding, good info to have.

Keep us posted, Frank is a swell guy, no bad ju-ju there.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    swell...........now there a word I don't come across to often....classy i think
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    I like to think of myself as a half-witt schmoe, but thanks anyway!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    swell...........now there a word I don't come across to often....classy i think

Speaking of 'swell', how about 'Snell'. What are those guys doing these days, I know their passive subs used to rock, and they made some damn BIG and FINE speakers...

Just a random thought, haven't seen much from Snell in a while. . .

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    Hold on there Russman before you go derailing this thread!!! I believe we were talking about ME!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D