Asking for some good thoughts....

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Never one to ask for thoughts and prayers since I'm not a very religious person myself....

At 1:35 AM this morning a gas tanker exploded less than 100 yards from my grandmothers elderly apartment complex in everett, MA. About 400 yards away my family has 2 houses where my aunt lives as well as my 97 year old great grandmother, my other aunt and uncle and my cousin. Across the roadway(out of harms away at the moment) is my dads business which has been there for over 30 years.

I grew up in the neighborhood this accident happened and as of right now over 40 cars have exploded or been severely damage, and 12 families are now homeless because 2 six family apartment buildings already burnt to the ground. It is now 8 AM and the fires are still rippping through apartment buildings in the area. More info can be seen here:

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO68221/

They say they were able to evacuate residents but that still doesn't take away the horror of those 12 families who lost their homes only a couple weeks before the holidays, many of which were residents who have been there all their lives.

Total horror right now, roads are closed, buildings are burnt to the ground, people are evacuated in weather in that is nearing the single digits with wind chill. In a couple hours when the fire is out I'm going to try and head down there and see how everyone is doing.

All because a gas tanker driver with 9,000 gallons of fuel was speeding around a rotary and lost control and sent his tanker over the embankment and into this neighborhood where it exploded instantly...
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Yikes, I used to live less than a mile from there.

Best of luck to the family bro.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Yikes, I used to live less than a mile from there.

Best of luck to the family bro.

Yea you know where my family is. The cars that were destroyed/burning were in the parking lot of my grandmothers apartment complex and the rest of my family is right over on montrose. We tried calling them all this morning but no one is answering. Thank God the fire was on this side of the rotary, the other side(where my dads business is) is all huge gas tanks that hold hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    Yikes is right, hope all is ok with everyone up there.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2007
    As many good thoughts as my bad credit with God can get you going your way.

There have been a couple of similar incidents here in L.A. over the last few months albeit with less dangerous loads. We frequently know about them because the news helicopters frequently fly over our area from Burbank in the middle of the night if the incident is anywhere close.

Maybe some speed limits and/or traffic regulations need to be enforced without mercy and truck drivers should not feel that they have to drive longer and/or faster than necessary to meet their deadlines. Stuff like this should not be tipping over in such close proximity to flammable storage tanks!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    Man, that was a sad scene this a.m. all over the news. God bless and hope all is well with your family!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited December 2007
    What a mess. Best wishes to all involved.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    On the news they just said the 2 six family apartment buildings that were engulfed by fire are being torn down..the escavaters and front end loaders are clearing the site now..too burnt for families to go back in and retrieve things.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited December 2007
    A very similar situation happened 1 week ago by our house. A Diesel tanker with a local man driving was going to fast around a well marked sharp turn and tipped the truck over. The fuel ignited, blew up an overpass and killed the driver.

Good luck with your family!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Mark, I hope your family (and everyone else) is not affected too much by this. No serious injured or victims, or so I read. Anything else is replaceable.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    I'm glad your family is safe Mark.

It's a miracle that no one was injured, had a heart attack, or was otherwise damaged in this whole mess.

The moron driver who was speeding probably hit some black ice. We had snow up here & the roads are still wet. which meant it froze over night.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Will be in my prayers.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I'm glad your family is safe Mark.

It's a miracle that no one was injured, had a heart attack, or was otherwise damaged in this whole mess.

The moron driver who was speeding probably hit some black ice. We had snow up here & the roads are still wet. which meant it froze over night.

State police made an announcement saying there was no ice on the roadway when the accident happened and it speed was the only factor.

Thanks for the kind words guys, still haven't gotten in touch with my family down there(no one is answering phones). My dad has been trying to get in touch my grandmother who was the one living in the elderly home, but still hasn't been able to.

Thanks for the kind words guys, i keep watching it on the news, it's a disaster and the road will be closed for most of the day.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    hope everyone is alright
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2007/12/a_fiery_river_o.html
    This is the latest link from Boston.com, again, hope all is well...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited December 2007
    Prayers sent. God bless.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited December 2007
    Best wishes

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    That's horrible. Best wishes and good luck to all.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    An attorney from my office, who is also a firefighter in Everett was part of the effort to put the fires out. There were no injuries to the tenants/homeowners, and hopefully all the firefighters are OK too.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2007
    Prayers sent
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited December 2007
    good luck man. best wishes to ure family
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    Wow!That driver has some serious headaches in his future.:eek:

Prayers sent. I hope everyone is ok.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Amazingly, the news still says they're only citing the driver for speeding! You'd think there'd be some sort of reckless driving thrown in there.

I talked to my mom last night, apparently one of her aunts was also in that nursing home. Yikes!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I drove by just a little while ago.....what a mess but the city is really coming through. Crews worked overnight cleaning the storm drains, a construction company came and dug up and then repaved the entire roadway. Also, the two houses are completely torn down and nothing but a pile of burnt rubble. Residents of the elderly home are still at the armory and will not be allowed back into the home until after 2pm. Apparently the donations of NEW clothes, toys, presents, etc were overwhelming and there are piles of them waiting for these 12 families that are now homeless and without their vehicles.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2007
    Good thoughts send your way....hope everyone is OK.