Would an Amp improve the sound ?

Options
ssdsco
ssdsco Posts: 5
edited November 2002 in Electronics
I have the Denon 5800, 9.1(surround A and B) Polk Lsi 4 ohm speakers, Velodyne SPL1200 sub, and Panasonic RP91(DVD audio).

It's set up in a small 12x14 room. The system is calibrated properly. I listen to 50% music including DVD audio and 50% movies/TV. For music I use a 5.1 setup with four Lsi 9's and Lsi CC.

I rarely turn the volume past -10. The system sounds very good to me.

So my question is would an amp make a noticeable improvement in sound quality at the same volume I listen to today ? If so how many of the channels/watts would you recommend I amplify ?

PS. I really like the looks of the used McIntosh amps with the lighted signal meters.

Thanks for your help.
Post edited by ssdsco on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Options
    For a 12x14 room there is no reason you should consider putting an amplifier in that system. The Denon 5800 is actually a bit much in that room already, power wise that is.

It's not that you need any more power but improved sound quality. If you decide to go mcintosh you should probably look at the mc 162 amp but I have to be honest with you.

Denon and Mcintosh do not mate together very well.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I'm not sure if the Denon and Mac will mate or not,I personally never tried it.But I'm gonna have to agree with liv4fam....you already have plenty of power.If you must amp up your system,I'd amp all channels driven.....I like to hear the system with equal power and same tonal charastics.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    A better amp, is a better amp, period. I say at least go out demo some gear in your price range. As to what will or will not mate with your Denon, heed the advice of others, and let your ears decide. I have used an older Denon integrated, but never used it as pre mated to another amp.

12x14 isn't THAT small, there are some members here with 5.1 systems setup in smaller rooms, and they have upgraded to seperate amps, some actually rated at LESS power than they intially had with their respective receivers, and the difference has been very worthwhile.

As far as wattage, thats a very deceptive stat, more is not always better. Something between 40 and 200 continuous watts per channel should work fine. (that range large enough?) Do you have an SPL meter? I have no idea how 'loud' -10 on your rec is, just so I can guage what level you are talking about. (curiosity only)

For starters, I would suggest you find a good 2ch amp to use/ borrow/ test, and see how it compares to the Denon running stereo on its own.

Cheers,
    Russ

And I agree, the Mac v/u's have a cool factor that is off the friggin scale.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    Options
    12x14 isn't THAT small, there are some members here with 5.1 systems setup in smaller rooms, and they have upgraded to seperate amps, some actually rated at LESS power than they intially had with their respective receivers, and the difference has been very worthwhile.
    ...and I would be one of those members.

I was running my rig off a Marantz SR5000, rated at 75wpc. Thanks to the heads up from Russ, I bought 4 Adcom stereo amps (GFA-535's) rated at 60wpc. I bi-amped my mains (RT55's) and center (CS400) and use the 4th amp to power my surrounds (RT25i's).

The difference between the amps and receiver is quite noticable, infact, very noticable. My wife even said "wow". Next up will be a pre/pro upgrade as I am using the Marantz for that now, but the cost of the new dedicated HT rooms construction ate up some coin which, by-the-way is smaller than your 12x14, it's only 9'x16'.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.