3rd Annual Christmas Karma - Sony STR-7055 Receiver

2»

Comments

• sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2007
    Great Karma!!! Keep that vintage stuff outta the landfills!! this would be perfect for either the bedroom or more likely the office;) with some minimus 7w's:) anyway, if i win; i'll karma a scott tube tuna. hell, i should do it anyway. unused is no way to own vintage gear. radio in south florida sucks tho:mad:

oops! i jumped on the karma w/o doing the required work!

i chose polk for the quality reputation and i'd always lusted after the sda's. when i was young and poor i wanted a pair of 5jr's. didn't happen. fast fwd to 2003. as bad as ebay can be, they got me into my 1st set of polks!! i'm listening now..j.geils...'the morning after'......i never heard a better more believable speaker...what i like is the way the bass doesn't overpower all the other octaves. very natural. plus, they don't need to be cranked all the time...very-late night low-volume listenings are sooo cool!!

THANKS!
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited December 2007
    Cool karma i'm in!

Well I guess the reason I went with polks would be because of my dad. He is always telling me how the best speaker he ever heard or owned were his polk rta12c's. I ended up getting my first polks off of ebay. I thought I would be blown away when I got them. Well... I wasn't. But after many upgrades but mainly just a seperate amp I was amazed and hooked all at the same time. It's never stopped since and probally never will. Since then I have met some great people on this forum and had some of the best customer service experiences ever. I will always be a polk customer.:)
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2007
    Awesome Karma again Mark. In Please.

Why did I choose Polk Audio and what makes them special to me?

One day in High School during the school day a friend and I went to his house to get his brothers I.D. to buy beer. We went into his brothers room and being the budding audio( speaker) nut I noticed a pair of speakers that looked somewhat home made and I asked him what kind of speakers they were and he said that his brothers JHU college friend made them, Polk.

Fast forward 4 or 5 years I was making my first real car speaker purchase and I was looking at Polks, MB Quarts, etc.... And I remembered the that time I saw my first Polks and I bought the Polks. Still have them installed in a car. I just thought it was cool that a local guy, from a local school, and a locally designed speaker was popular and available for me to buy.

I like the way Polk speakers sound and the design philosophy. It was not untill recently that I have been able to appreciate some of the better designs. I think it is even cooler and important that a speaker company took the time/capital to understand how humans hear and process the sounds produced by live music and applied it to speaker design.

Scott

P.S. The liquor store that we bought the beer in back in 1984, still to this day, has a early pair of Polk Audio SDA's in it with music playing everyday.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    What the Hell...I`m in..

Back when I started to get back into audio, my brother had a pir of Altec Lansing Towers...sounded great !...if you were in the "right spot"...
    He kept bragging on these Boston speaks, and so I went out to find better ones..
    I ran across some Rt35i`s that just blew my doors off...
    I ended up getting some RT15i`s to start with , and was very happy with them...
    I started drooling over the RT2000i`s , and soon had those..
    I ended up with at least 1 pair of every speaker that Polk made in the RTi line, some of them I had 2 or 3 pairs of...
    One day I needed to get some grills for my 2000`s and was directed to the forum...
    They came out with the LSi line, and I got one of each...(2 pr of the 9`s)

I went to MD to PolkFest and met Mathew Polk (my Hero), and most of you asshats here on the forum..

My life hasn`t been the same since....

Nor will it ever be...

I only own Polk speakers....12v, HT , and 2 ch....even my car audio has Polk amps..!!

Hi , my name is Robert

I`m an audio Addict

I just send my paychecks directly to HQ in MD now....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2007
    I would love to be in.

Why did I choose Polk Audio and what makes them special to me?

When I first started bying my own records way back in the stone age. (What are records?) I always purchased my music from a music store called Alwilk Music in Elizabeth NJ. They usually had one of the guys mixing tunes or playing the newest rock music. Long story short. They had a set of Monitor 10's that just sounded awesome. That was my introduction.

Fast forward a couple years. I was in a reputable music store looking for nice stereo equipment. And I remembered the Polk's I had heard years earlier. I immediately decided to purchase my first set of polk's. Monitor 7's due to my limited budget at the time. It wasn't long before I went and upgraded to Monitor 10's. I had them for years. I used them in my bedroom, dorm room in college and my first home theatre setup.

I later traded up again to SDA2's. I still own the 2's and use them exclusively for 2ch audio. They aren't going anywhere. It is funny how my wife didn't like them at first because they aren't the smallest speakers out there. But as soon as she heard them she said WOW. I played one of her favorite LP's. Fleetwood Mac's Rumors and totally floored her. She was amazed at how the SDA effect really brings out the music. She said it felt like she was in the studio with the band. The LP and the Polk's still gets alot of play in our house.

That is why I chose Polk, but I stay with them because of there customer service. I have had to replace a driver here and there over the years, Usually following a house party and one because of my cat. Darn cat!!! I have never been greeted by any other customer service department as well as I was by Polk's. They understood my needs and were more than happy to help me. Even walking me through the process of changing out the speakers.

I also stay because of The Polk Forum community. I have only been a member for a short time and don't see me leaving anytime soon. People from all walks of life and means have found a place to come together and talk audio. I love reading about people that have just heard the SDA effect for the first time or just picked up some nice LSi's. It reminds me of how I felt when I first heard Polk's.

Thank you Polk for continuing to be the very best. :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the replies gang....this will be closed on Monday(DEC 17) and shipped the same week.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    Keiko wrote: »
    That's touching beardog :D I hope you win bro! ;)

Thanks bro...!

meee toooo :p
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2007
    i would like in plese

and i love my 800i 400i fx500i in my 10 by 12 bedroom hooked up to a onkyo 705 and a 40 in 1080p samsung
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    The STICKY Christmas Karma wasn't apreciated by a couple folks so it was removed from that status. I apologize that I've done this for a third year....I'm horrible.

There are a couple other members also giving away holiday Karma, so in the end it all works out. THAT's what it's all about and if my thread was the impetus, rock on, if not.....good will towards men, and I guess women(Only if they are into audio).

Good luck and I would wish you something but I may get censored, banned or my thread might be deleted. Fate, it's a ****.

I would suggest that all future gestures just be thrown in the trash.

I feel bad for you Club Polk but this years Karma was won by NIKOLAS812

Please email me your addy Nik....enjoy!!!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Congrats Nikolas, it's good to see new guys win.

Good stuff Mark.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    Congrats!!! :)

Wishing for many more successful Christmas Karmas. :D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Congrats on the win Nik!

Merry CHRISTMAS everyone!!!

As fo the PC Police...

"Fu(K the Police!" - Public Enemy "Fear of a Black Planet".
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited December 2007
    Not In, since Im so far out I wouldnt want to risk shipping damage to such a gorgeous piece of gear. Good luck to all of you, thats a very nice piece.

Edit: Just saw Nik won it, congrats bro.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    dude, somebody really complained about a Christmas Karma? tell me your joking
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2007
    nice going nik!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2007
    Merry Christmas Mark and congrats to Niki.

RT1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2007
    Congrats Niki,,
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited December 2007
    Congrats NIKOLAS812

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    Hey Nik.....gimme a shout!
This discussion has been closed.