Digital Camera non recommendation

mark090852
mark090852 Posts: 996
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, here's the deal. I'm looking to get another digital camera. A relatively inexpensive one ($200 or less) that will fit in a pocket. It won't be hard to pick one out that meets my requirements so I'm not really looking for recommendations. But I would like to hear about any particular cameras that you would recommend against based on some functionality or features that might be lacking.

So...any cameras that you would definitely not recommend?
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
Post edited by mark090852 on

Comments

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    Love'd em for years, but I'm sad to say, Nikon is making crap lately. All models.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    I had a fujifilm that I couldn't stand. The pictures were crap, the software was crap, and the cable that connected to the computer worked only about half the time, you had to squeeze the end of the cable to get it to work sometimes.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited December 2007
    Nikon compacts: so-so image quality and limited functionality (Nikon has never done well with their compact digicam lines, although Nikon D-SLRs are excellent)

There are much better digicams out there for under $200
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited December 2007
    Pick one of these and you will be happy....

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1000-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK8EWI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196612456&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A570IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000NK3H4S/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196612517&sr=8-2

The first one is much smaller, does not have image stabilization and uses a rechargeable battery.

The second one is larger, has the image stabilization and uses AA batteries so you can easily replace dead batteries.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    The lens makes a huge difference too. I've seen some 2-4 hundred dollar compacts sporting Carl Zeiss and other high end lenses. Of course if the electronics and CCD sux, it's a waste. I've owned many Nikons, and their D line may perform well out of the box, but they have a horrible repair record. . much unlike their film cameras that you could drop on concrete and have the meter still work. Was looking at the Lumix.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    I've been through this over the last six months or so. I tried out 7, thats right 7, compact cameras from several manufacturers. They all had their +'s and -'s. Depends on what you want the camera's primary + to be.

For under $200

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7S. A little slow (shot to shot) but you get a 6x zoom, IS, & it uses AA's.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX12S. 3x zoom, proprietary battery 9long life), Leica lens, tons of shooting modes.

Sony cyber-shot DSCW80. You get more from the Panny for le$$.

Canon SD1000. Nice camera but it lacks IS.

Fujifilm Finepix F40fd. Excellent low light / night shooter. Lacks a "true" IS - uses an ISO boost to control blur. High ISO shots look better with Fuji than the other manufacturers but you give up a little detail @ lower ISO. $30 mail in rebate. link

Fujifilm Finepix F50fd. This was / is my "number one". Excellent daytime shots @ ISO 100. IS. 2.7" LCD. Free memory card until Dec. 3rd. Fits in your budget after the $50 mail in rebate (same link as above). Newer version of the F40fd with more manual controls. Great low light / night shooter.

Over $200 but under $250

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3S. 10x -12x zoom in a "compact" camera. Big 3" LCD. Lots of shooting modes. IS. This was in my "final two".
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    I had a Fujifilm and it didnt work. Pictures were broken in half with the two halves split apart.

Bought a Canon and it takes near perfect pictures. But after a few weeks the automatic lens cover quit working so I had to pry it up and leave it up. So now I have to carry around a lens cleaners and use it whenever I take pictures.

My first digital camera was a Sony that I had for several years and put it thru a lot of abuse. Great pictures and never so much as whimpered.

Ive learned my lesson and Ill never stray from Sony again.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • halo
    edited December 2007
    Polk user wrote: »
    uses AA batteries so you can easily replace dead batteries.
    Camera's that use (2) AA's are usually pretty slow shot to shot (4 seconds or more). Especially when using the flash (8 seconds or more).
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited December 2007
    Avoid Olympus. Still uses archaic XD memory. Really pricey for what you get.