Guitar n00b with questions!

2»

Comments

• Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    Paying your friend a visit is a must. You will find the acoustic a little harder to play (the strings are ussually bigger), so you may be happy with an electric. As far as cheap/good guitars, you don't always get crap for a low price. I have a mexican strat (they don't call it that, but it was made in mexico), but it plays almost as nice as my cousins american strat and is MUCH cheaper.

But if you are looking at electrics, look into the sheraton II I mentioned earlier. It truly plays silky smooth and only runs about $600 (my wife got me mine after I played it in a store and it was the most comfortable thing I have ever picked up. I've had it over 10 years now, and I still haven't found anything that plays so nice).

As far as that distortion comment, I don't think it will help you with your speed, but it may make you sound better. I have and old Rockman portable amp thingy (it's a little box with a pair of headphones developed by Tom Sholtz [from the band Boston]). But if you put that on, crank up the distortion, anyone sounds like they are playing like Slash.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2007
    I've got three guitars (Acoustic and two electrics). My first guitar was a Washburn acoustic that my brother gave me in 1994 when he upgraded to a Taylor. My suggestion is to buy an acoustic first and then move on to an electric, but that's just me. As previously stated, acoustics are tougher to play, which I think helps you learn more and strengthens your hand. I personally enjoy playing an acoustic more too. I can't really recommend anything however, since I haven't seriously looked into new guitars in years. I'm starting to think about picking up a new Taylor acoustic, but haven't made up my mind yet. As far as getting an acoustic/electric, you can buy a regular acoustic and later on purchase an pickup that you can install when you need to. That's what I did for my Washburn when I had to play a James Taylor song at a friends wedding a few years ago. I think the removable pickup I bought is made by Dean Markley. Good luck and take your time before making a purchasing decision.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations, folks. I discovered today that a coworker/friend owns a recording business and has played guitar professionally for a few bands for recording. He's played for 13+ years. And has that many guitars.

Sooooo, I'm going to go hang out with him for a while! :D

I've decided on an acoustic or acoustic/electric. However, when I mentioned my budget to him, he said that was ridiculous. He said his most expensive guitars are only about $400, and that he's played on stage several times with $250 guitars.

So, I'm still kinda up in the air about this, but it looks like I may be getting some answers here soon.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations, folks. I discovered today that a coworker/friend owns a recording business and has played guitar professionally for a few bands for recording. He's played for 13+ years. And has that many guitars.

Sooooo, I'm going to go hang out with him for a while! :D

I've decided on an acoustic or acoustic/electric. However, when I mentioned my budget to him, he said that was ridiculous. He said his most expensive guitars are only about $400, and that he's played on stage several times with $250 guitars.

So, I'm still kinda up in the air about this, but it looks like I may be getting some answers here soon.

properly set up, you can play anything proffesionally. more $ means, set it and forget - for awhile. your friend is in the business and knows how to set up an axe. for you, i would go used and cheap. when you build up your callouses and confidence, buy something better. still used, but better. and so on.....have fun...it would suck to buy an expensive gtr only to find you'd rather listen to someone else;) for me, i like used guitars! they have soul:cool:
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2007
    Guitar Center is having their annual 3 day blowout this weekend. It starts Friday and they usually have some really good deals during the blowout.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2007
    AB, check out Seagull guitars. They are IMNSHO the greatest bang for the buck, and have been shredding up reviews recently. They just recently (within a year or so) started being sold at Guitar Center because people kept requesting them ;)

That said, you could get a very nice M series for around $450, say $550-$600 with hardcase and everything else.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    For acoustic electrics, you pay more to get good electronics.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64