Guitar n00b with questions!

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, so I've decided I want a guitar for Christmas. And after talking to a few people I realize this is waaay too late to start doing research on them, as it seems there are just so many different options and combinations.

I'm pretty sure I want an acoustic (electric/acoustic, that is). At some point I'll definitely want a straight electric, a 12-string, a bass, and maybe a mandolin or banjo (all of this assuming, of course, I really get into guitar). I know it's easier to play the electric than it is to play the acoustic, so I'm kind of tempted to go with an electric first. I know the transition to acoustic still wouldn't be easy, but it'd have to be easier than just starting out on an acoustic. However, most of the music I'll probably be playing on it is country, and while you can do a lot with country and an electric, I think an acoustic still pulls that off better. Not to mention the acoustic is more portable since you don't have to worry about any amplification.

So, if you're still with me...Thank you!!

What do I need to know? What should I look for? What to stay away from? Etc etc.

I do NOT want a cheap guitar. Two years ago I researched guitars a little bit, shopped around, and picked out a Takamine electric/acoustic that I really loved, and it with the case and all the other 'essentials' came out to around $700. The parents decided I should try out playing the guitar before spending that much, so I borrowed an el cheapo to play on and gave it up in about three weeks. I don't wanna go that route again. I don't know what the xmas budget looks like, but lets keep it around $600 - $1k for everything; I'll fork out the difference if there is any.

So, anyhoo, all I know is that, assuming I go with an electric/acoustic, I want one with the cutout on the bottom of the body. I have no idea what that's called, but I think it looks cool. And at this point, if it looks cool to me, that's just another reason to pick it up and play with it. :) I remember something about laminate and spruce tops and so forth, and that the laminate tops were far inferior. I obviously don't want that, but I'm not sure if that's even an issue in this price range.

So, ok, I've gone on and said WAY more than I know on this subject, so I'll let the experts chime in now.

ANY comments and recommendations are VERY welcome!!

Moochas grassias!!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Oh, and are there any really great websites I should be reading that will help explain all the options, parts, functions, sounds, affects, etc?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2007
    As a beginner i would suggest either an Epiphone or Ovation (celebrity/applause) as a first. The Epiphone are just good bang for the money, good looks, sound and feel. But the Ovation's are a step above in tone and playability. You can adjust the action on just about any of them so no worries about any feeling cheap/rough.

I would stay away from something new unless you really want something new. Look on the used market and try to score a deal, you might even find something on craigslist local to you.

Definately try to score something with a spruce top, has a good sound. And the hole you mentioned is call an F-Hole. They are there for acoustic as well as esthetic reasons. Also no matter what you get try to get a set of "lite" strings for it, your fingers will thank you later.

Good luck and stay with it, playing a guitar (any instrument) can do many things for you, specially at the end of a long hard day.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2007
    As a Takamine dealer myself, I like what they have in your price range. The EG 540 series can be had for the $$$ you are looking at and I personally like the Nexis body size and shape over the full size dreadnoughts.http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=875&sid=352
    The EF340 is a really nice step up guitar under the $500 level that is popular too.http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=140&sid=352

If you can stretch your $$$ upwards to just under $1k I would look at the Santa Fe "SF" series. They are really full sounding models with great inlay details.http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1121&sid=352

Another brand that I have really been impressed with is Crafter. The D series and GAE are both favorites in our store.http://www.crafterusa.com/gallery/gae_series_main.php

Enjoy your search.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Thank you both very much for your input. I had someone recomend an Epiphone electric tonight as being a great cheap version of a Les Paul.

As far as the budget, I think anything under a grand is acceptable. However, $900 for a first guitar does seem a bit excessive; somehow $700 or $800 just doesn't sound as bad! :p

That Santa Fe SF series guitar reminds me, I saw Travis Tritt demoing some new guitar on youtube, and it was a shollower bodied guitar that he said was really good for shows because it was lighter and smaller, and just all around easier to juggle on a stage and while traveling. How many different thicknesses are there, and should I worry about that too much?

I had a few shops recommended to me tonight that sell used guitars, too, so I'll definitely check them out at some point. However, I really should know SOMEthing about guitars before I can go out trying to find a good deal! :p Are there any really good online resources? So far I'm just using google.

Again, thanks for all the input; it's very much appreciated!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    Just skip straight to the bass, you know you want to. Become the next Jack Casady.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Are your parents buying the guitar for you? If so, you are extremely lucky! For Christmas I hope my dad will get me a 25ft. subwoofer cable :)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Are your parents buying the guitar for you? If so, you are extremely lucky! For Christmas I hope my dad will get me a 25ft. subwoofer cable :)

Now, that's just the kind of thing I have a hard time getting friends or family to buy as gifts. I guess they understand shirts and books more than hifi accessories.
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2007
    Guitars are like speakers. They are so personally individualized that you have to get your hands on one to know if it feels right. Internet price shopping is a good way to get yourself a start knowledge wise, but don't forget that anything bought online may need to be adjusted/setup properly and your savings could go up in smoke buying a "second" or blem guitar that might need alot of fretboard work.

The slimmer models won't project as nice as the full size models, but if you plan on using an amp that won't matter as much. With the amp mentioned, you can go with a mid level guitar as long as you don't skimp on the amp.

I absolutely love what Genz Benz has to offer in their acoustic series amps. The Shen 60 is really a killer amp. A boutique brand for realistic $$$.http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1834&sid=420&cid=94
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2007
    For a really great electric guitar, we became one of the few USA dealers for Sparrow Guitars. They are causing quite a stir in the guitar industry with fabulous product quality and cool customizing/hand painting. Their Rat Rod model will stand with a LP Custom at a third of the cost. The best value in a real player's guitar we've found.

http://www.sparrowguitars.com/ratrod

• audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Ha, I might have been misleading with the desire to have an acoustic/electric. I want the flexibility, the ability to run an amp, but it'll definitely be quite a while before I buy one. I can't readily foresee me having a use for it for a while.

I'm definitely not buying online for the reasons mentioned here, and those are still valid points with buying used, too. I would definitely prefer new, but if I come across a smoking good used deal...and yes, I'll get someone who knows more about them than me to look at them with me.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    The Ibanez AEL20E is a great axe at a great price. The Takamine EG540 as Dennis suggested is a SOLID choice. I've always like the sound of the Dean Exotica Dao - really warm tone, with a slight bump in the midrange.

As far as the amp goes, you have to love Marshall and Crate. This is definately a spot to go tubes, even if you build it yourself - some Celestion drivers, a good 6550 mono push-pull amp? Hell yeah.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    A pair of Wave 8's, maybe? :D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    No, but maybe a single Dyanco MKIII....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    There are a ton of choices out there and it is something of personal preference. Go over to your nearest Guitar Center and try out a bunch to see what feels and sounds good to you. When I was looking, I played some $600 guitars that sounded and felt better to me than the $2000 Martin.

If you want to be quite, I don't think an acoustic will work (they are always for the world to hear). I have an Epiphone Sheraton II, which is a semi-hollow body that is plenty loud when played unpluged and sounds and plays fantastic pluged in. It always gets great reviews and is probably in your price range.

My original acoustic was an washburn that my wife got me '86. It was about $180 and is one of the best sounding inexpensive guitars I have ever heard. But since then, washburn has changed hands a bunch of times and started putting out crap. But recently started coming back with quality instruments. I considered them, didn't really find anything I liked.

Myself, I ended up with a Garrison for a cut away electric acoustic. It's a canadian company that makes a composite frame (this helps eliminate some of the structure issues with mosture). It was about $1200, but I only spent the boat load of quaters I had been saving for the last few years (It was actually exactly .38 cents more than I had, but he gave me a break).

Anything you get will be great if you keep up with your playing (the problem that plauges most of us). So just get an axe, keep it laying close by (I just recently left one on the couch at all times), and have fun!
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited December 2007
    If you can stretch your $$$ upwards to just under $1k I would look at the Santa Fe "SF" series. They are really full sounding models with great inlay details.http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=1121&sid=352

The Takamine small body models are just fantastic.
    I have an earlier (discontinued) model fp460sc,
    which also came with the Accuracoustic pre amp. terrific.
    after 7 years I can say those blessed things age wonderfully.
    The finish looks mint and it stays in tune, as if it was bought yesterday.
    It is a little costly (I don't think it is, but it was posted as such) but worth it (that is if you'll keep playing, otherwise forget it. buy a new amp).

of course with a precious jam like this, you'll need a good solid case, and because of
    the smallish body, you might feel you need an acoustic amp (a topic worthy of a
    separate thread). so overall we are talking 1500$ here (MSRP) .

one thing though. When you play a Tamamine you WILL sound like a country player ;)
    Lea
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2007
    the applause acoustics are good. they're the down-market ovation. they have the roundback design. easy fingerboard too. i've had mine for 16 years. it aint no martin, thats for sure. but its a good bang around guitar. i reccomend it for beginners! i think you can get one for aroung 3-350 clams.. have fun!:cool:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    In acoustics --

Seems to be that the big hitters this year for us is Ibanez and Sierra --

Sierra is a Kaman/Ovation company that came out late last year. We have sold them like candy just about - fantastic low action...

But on guitars keep your eye on the action (how low the strings are to the fretboard) you don't want any rattles on the frets, and you don't want them to far away. I think the standard acceptance is around 1/8" from the fretboard for most guitar players -- and the neck should have a slight dip downward (very minor) --- make sure the neck isnt bowing up or down in any direction...

Best way to check for this is hold the guitar up to your eye -- with the neck flat so you can see down the neck in relation to the strings....

Other than that, for a beginner -- if you want to invest alot in it...

Epiphone masterbuilts are all solid wood guitars and pack a PUNCH in value. Hard shell case is included with them - I think they run around 799.99 or so ---

With electric, pretty much the same applies -- but it comes more down to taste...

Generally accepted is single coils give you that clean sound (one row)

Humbuckers (two rows) give you that warm, what some consider to be more towards rock..

However some manufactures have a single row -- but is stacked, which is called pole tapping... the way to check for this is to see if one of the knobs pull up ---

But just check for quality in an electric...

Stay away from your beginner brands -- if you stay in the 3-400 dollar range in alot of this stuff, you will get some fantastic stuff..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.. just took these ...
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Hahahahahahahaha! I clicked on the first picture and was like, "What the heck?! Why in the world did he hang his guitar on the back of a couch?!"

Then I realized you didn't...and felt stupid...hahaha
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    That's a great looking guitar, btw. Is that a Takamine? I like that cutout, but I don't like that shape. I like what I guess is the more conventional shape? Something like this:

EAN16C.jpg
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    Yup its a takamine. model name is FP460SC.
    Its a their small body shape, Takamine calls it FXC body
    the still release models with this bodytype.
    just about the finest Acoustic I have ever owned.

Its Basicaly this with an upgraded preamp.
    I love this thing.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2007
    My ax from days gone by. Kramer Specter one piece body and neck.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    That's a great looking guitar, btw. Is that a Takamine? I like that cutout, but I don't like that shape. I like what I guess is the more conventional shape? Something like this:

EAN16C.jpg

There are no inlays on that guitar. May be a little rough on a beginner. Generally, I find electrics to be easier to play than acoustics, and thus better to learn on. Distortion does a lot for developing speed and you can always use headphones and be as loud as you want. Besides, if you really want acoustic sound, most combo amps/pedals have Acoustic simulators and modeling.

I said this is another thead, and agree with Sid, stay away from the super cheap guitars. Their sound is limited and will lead to more frustration than pleasure. If you're someone that will stick with something, splurge a little bit for a more quality instrument. It will pay off in the long run.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    I quickly grabbed that pic just to represent the general shape I like to see in acoustics; wasn't planning on getting it. I didn't notice that about the inlays, though...good point.

I'm afraid I'm beginning to agree with you on the electric part. I really really want an acoustic, and that's what I've always planned on getting, but I can definitely see that the electrics are easier to play, and being able to play quietly or with headphones would be a HUGE plus.

What do you mean about the distortion being good for developing speed? How so? I don't know much about acoustics, and I know NOTHING about electrics.

How well can an electric approximate the sound of an acoustic? Would a good quality electric along with an equally good quality amp (and any pedals I would need?) be more expensive than the acoustics I'm looking at?

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    If I do end up getting an electric (and do really get into playing guitar), I'll be wanting to buy a nice acoustic within a year to take to college, since they are more portable.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • carpenter
    edited December 2007
    What do you mean about the distortion being good for developing speed? How so? I don't know much about acoustics, and I know NOTHING about electrics.
    general electrics and speed:
    Lower action, thiner strings , usually wider neck.
    I'm not sure about the distortion part but from my experience:
    More gain = easier to get sound = less finger pressure on the neck = you can move fingers faster.
    How well can an electric approximate the sound of an acoustic?
    well ... its different. as an audiophile you can answer yourself.
    an electric, even in clean (no effects )has a fatter and more compressed sound, more midish.
    an acoustic has more of a natural sound. much more defined overtones as you move your fingers over the neck. more airy.
    Would a good quality electric along with an equally good quality amp (and any pedals I would need?) be more expensive than the acoustics I'm looking at?

Thanks!

quality is a very difficult thing to define here. in principle,
    I can't see you spend less then 1200$ for a quality setup (something nice, not a started kit).
    a Fender "hot rod de lux" amp, and an entry level American Fender.
    or a nice Gibson from the "Studio" line.
    IMHO a good acoustic will set you back something in that area, but thats just me.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2007
    I started off with one of these
    guitar_hero_package.jpg
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2007
    I have been playing on and off for about 15 years. I would recommend that if you want an acoustic get a cutaway so you have the extra fret access. If you start getting good and don't have a cutaway you will likely just go buy one. Also, don't feel the need to make it an acoustic/electric right away. You can always buy a pickup and have it installed in your acoustic guitar down the line at Guitar Center or similiar.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for all the info, folks. I think at this point in time I'm leaning towards an electric. But I can't really say which way I want to go until I go look at a few of them.

I have a friend who has an electric and an acoustic...maybe I should pay him a visit. :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited December 2007
    Ok, so I've decided I want a guitar for Christmas. And after talking to a few people I realize this is waaay too late to start doing research on them, as it seems there are just so many different options and combinations.

I'm pretty sure I want an acoustic (electric/acoustic, that is). At some point I'll definitely want a straight electric, a 12-string, a bass, and maybe a mandolin or banjo (all of this assuming, of course, I really get into guitar). I know it's easier to play the electric than it is to play the acoustic, so I'm kind of tempted to go with an electric first. I know the transition to acoustic still wouldn't be easy, but it'd have to be easier than just starting out on an acoustic. However, most of the music I'll probably be playing on it is country, and while you can do a lot with country and an electric, I think an acoustic still pulls that off better. Not to mention the acoustic is more portable since you don't have to worry about any amplification.

So, if you're still with me...Thank you!!

What do I need to know? What should I look for? What to stay away from? Etc etc.

I do NOT want a cheap guitar. Two years ago I researched guitars a little bit, shopped around, and picked out a Takamine electric/acoustic that I really loved, and it with the case and all the other 'essentials' came out to around $700. The parents decided I should try out playing the guitar before spending that much, so I borrowed an el cheapo to play on and gave it up in about three weeks. I don't wanna go that route again. I don't know what the xmas budget looks like, but lets keep it around $600 - $1k for everything; I'll fork out the difference if there is any.

So, anyhoo, all I know is that, assuming I go with an electric/acoustic, I want one with the cutout on the bottom of the body. I have no idea what that's called, but I think it looks cool. And at this point, if it looks cool to me, that's just another reason to pick it up and play with it. :) I remember something about laminate and spruce tops and so forth, and that the laminate tops were far inferior. I obviously don't want that, but I'm not sure if that's even an issue in this price range.

So, ok, I've gone on and said WAY more than I know on this subject, so I'll let the experts chime in now.

ANY comments and recommendations are VERY welcome!!

Moochas grassias!!

MArtin has a line of acoustic guitars now in the 500-900 region. If you have a place in town to try one out this is what you want
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction