NFL Network hosing cable subscribers / Discuss the GB-Dallas game live

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anybody hear about this? The Cowboys/Packers game isnt on anywhere out here in Texas and I started looking around online trying to find out why and was disgusted.

Tonights Cowboys vs Packers game is only on the NFL's own network and not available here on regular channels. Apparently the NFL is asking for $750 million dollars from the cable companies for permission to use the NFL network and to air 8, yes EIGHT games that normally wouldve been free and the NFL Network would have to be in the basic cable package and not a premium channel like HBO.

Time Warner has made a couple offers to the NFL including letting subscribers purchase the NFL network on a game by game basis and letting the NFL keep all that money. They turned them down. $750 million or nothing.

Time Warner is saying that they wont do it because a price tag that big would have to be spread out over all subscribers bill and that wouldnt be fair to the ones that didnt want the channel.

I have Comcast Cable back home in Tennessee but they dont carry the NFL network either - you have to buy it as a premium channel. But why would I want to pay $12 a month for a stupid channel that only has 8 games a season. Why would I watch it during the off season or playoff season?

Here are some articles about it.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/22/report-owners-not-happy-with-nfl-network-could-lose-regular-se/

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/columnists/dhendricks/stories/MYSA101707.01E.hendricks.2b8d6c1.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-11-20-NFL-Network_N.htm?csp=34

I love NFL football more than any other sport except maybe NASCAR - but Iam beginning to f'ing hate the NFL itself. Its earning its title as the No Fun League and I hope the NFL Network falls flat on its face.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2007
    I agree, but fortunately I happen to be in the .0000001% of the population that actually receives this game (courtesy of DirectTV plus). Other than that.... total BS. Don't be surprised if the NFL Network starts snagging playoff games. It's their product after all.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Im in Texas, I have Time Warner, I'm watching on channel 7, local station KDFI Channel 27.

Yes, it sucks Time Warner doesn't carry the NFL Network, no other Thursday night games for me. If you are in the Dallas / North Texas area - find it, it's on through the local channel listed above.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    You can also listen to the game in the North Texas area on 1310 am or 104.1 fm, and I think even 93.3 FM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    It does suck. Then again, I am receiving the game in HD on cable. GO GB.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2007
    Yep...comcast charges $5.99/month for this channel...oh wait..I get about 6 others with the "Sports Entertainment Package"...

So not only do I get to watch NFL football now, I get to watch USC Volleyball and Pepperdine badminton..:rolleyes:

Even worse...hear about the Big Ten network? Being that I'm in MN, we have a channel called the Big Ten network that showed all but ONE Gopher football game this year..However, Comcast doesn't carry it and doesn't offer it in ANY packages because apparently the Big Ten network wants it to be in the basic package...So I will miss a ton of college basketball games as well

this is getting out of hand
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited November 2007
    Well,I can tell you that Dallas is kickin' Greenbays Ars...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Way too early to write the Packers off, but HOOOO- HAAAAA!!!!

Ouch, Farve is out of the game (or is he?).
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Russ but Im about 100 miles south of you in Temple and the local stations down here arent showing it.

I hadnt thought of the radio tho. Have to see if me mum has one lying around somewhere so I dont have to go sit out in my car for the next 3 hours. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    what happened to farve? Im at work :(
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Hit his wrist against a Cowboys helmet - he still has his hat on, and they are icing it / massaging it. 27-10, 2:45 left in the half - the backup qb is actually moving the ball a little. I think Farve will be back in the 2nd half.

Pack defense held for first time tonight on Dallas' last drive.
  • bruss
    edited November 2007
    right on thanks russ
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Rodgers to Jennings, 8 yard TD pass for Greenbay. :31 left in the half, 27-17. That was Rodgers first career TD pass.

They are within 10 now.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2007
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2007
    Awesome game so far ,Everyone knew it would be:D
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Man I cant believe Favre is hurt. After all that dude has been thru. Hope its nothing.

Im really surprised the Cowboys are this far ahead! I figured it would be a lot closer.

• RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Farve didn't come out of the lockerroom yet, the rest of the team is out for the 2nd half. Bruised elbow is the only report so far.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    I have been pissed at pro sports for about the last 10 years. The **** have let their
    greed (both players and owners) ruin it.
    There isn't enough money out there to pay for it anymore. It's why
    boxing has faded and UFC has caught fire. When I guy making a decent buck
    can't afford tickets anymore, or to even see it on the tube, it's over.
    There isn't enough money even in cable tv premium channels to cover it?
    This and the "Arlington Cowboys" thing has me bent out of shape.
    I miss Dick Butkus biting people in the pile after a play. Those were
    the days of players loving the game. I think the last player like that was
    Ronnie Lott. Polar opposite of a Deon Sanders. Now I'm just ranting.
    I'm done.:mad:
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bruss
    edited November 2007
    wow.. im actually getting the game on my cellphone.. picture is choppy but watchable
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Cowboys are sure going to wish they kicked that fieldgoal.

We've got a ballgame here folks!
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Cowboys are sure going to wish they kicked that fieldgoal.

We've got a ballgame here folks!

You r right there,Packers within 3
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Well, I'm glad I can pick up channel 27 locally and watch it in HD. :D At first I was watching it on the NFL network but happen to go thru the locals and there it was. Cool...

Good game so far.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2007
    Whatever happened to going to the sports bar with your buddies when you can't get the game at home? Go get drunk and watch the game instead of whining! :)

BTW nice late flag on the phantom pass interference!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Must be a Greenbay fan? Phantom my ****, you can see the grab, although not big, it was there. ;)

As far as going to the local pub and knockin' em back with the boys, dui is the big kicker for most these days with mortgages, families, etc.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2007
    Nice catch in the end-zone, TO. . . DAMN IT!!!

He cost me 6 fantasy points with that drop.

Go Cowboy (and Greg Jennings. . . and Ryan Grant)!!!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited November 2007
    Nah, I'm a Chiefs' fan. I don't really care about either team much, but want a good game.
  • bruss
    edited November 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    Nah, I'm a Chiefs' fan. I don't really care about either team much, but want a good game.

what year our chiefs are having.. hopefully herm finds the bus out of town ASAP
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited November 2007
    Game looked great on Directv in HD!
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited November 2007
    Cool, thank goodness there wasn't a thunderstorm tonight locally eh?
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Still, the game looked a little choppy at a couple of points (in HD) and the commercials seems to lock up on video a little. Seems like it's always channel 27 that does it. Oh well...it's still a win!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    You could've listened to it on Sirius... :D