Chalk up another entry in the Book of Stupid Moves to me

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I was trying to get rid of the "farting trumpet" noise my truck seems to be plagued with.

So I disassembled the entire top end of the engine and stood in front of a parts cleaner with a tooth brush and a rag for 2 hours.

It was all nice and clean so I put it all back together. I started the truck and VIOLA! No more noise! WOOHOO!

But wait! It's trickin' me! I know it!

So I had my left arm that I was leaning on to reach the throttle body with my left hand dangling precariously in front of the air intake box. I reached out and grabbed the the throttle linkage and gave it a tug to rev the engine.

Yeah...stupid.

The supercharger, now with 70% less vacuum leak!, sucked my hand and half my forearm into the intake tube. I couldn't believe that it actually had that much pressure to do that. Of course I wasn't really paying attention like I should and it caught me completely off-guard. It sliced up my hand pretty good. No stitches needed but with the issues I had from the other post it's not feelin' none too good today again.

So yeah, another entry for the Book of John filed under the chapter titled "Stoopid".
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    FRICKIN OUUUUCH! That sounds like it hurt.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Daaaang. You just need to stay in the house for a few days, heal up, and let this long stroke of bad luck pass you by!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    That's awesome.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Cool, I get a supercharger I can finally give up internet ****.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    Don't forget to post an image of what that thing looks like after tearing off a piece of supercharger.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    What type of vehicle was this, a Lightning?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Cool, I get a supercharger I can finally give up internet ****.

:D:D
  • Face
    edited November 2007
    I still am having trouble seeing how this could happen. Late model supercharged vehicles have a internal bypass valve on or in the blower inlet, only allowing boost while the vehicle is in D and with a certain amount of throttle. You obviously opened up the throttle, but the vehicle must have been in N or D. So the amount of air being pulled through the throttle body would he the same as a naturally aspirated vehicle of the same displacement, etc...

Are you sure you didn't get scared when you hit the throttle then slip? :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Jstas
    edited November 2007
    You are mistaken because no matter what gear the lever is in, if that blower is screaming, that engine is building boost. The boost bypass only comes into effect if the engine is overboosted. Maybe GM has the boost bypass that you are referring to but as far as I know, the Lightning has no such thing. If it does, my boost gauge is lying to me because it'll jump up to 10 pounds in park before the boost bypass opens and hisses or the blower cavitates and squeals the belt a bit.

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2007
    Pics?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    That's badass.

Glad for the only the small injury but to say you got sucked into your supercharger....damn what a pick up line.
  • Face
    edited November 2007
    This is all I can find.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
    http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Automotive/EngineAirManagement/SuperchargersCylinderHeads/Superchargers/index.htm

As for GM, I know for a fact that boost is bypassed in P, N, and R. Since the Lightning isn't produced anymore, I can't find any articals that go into such detail.
  • Jstas
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    This is all I can find.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/bypass.htm
    http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Automotive/EngineAirManagement/SuperchargersCylinderHeads/Superchargers/index.htm

As for GM, I know for a fact that boost is bypassed in P, N, and R. Since the Lightning isn't produced anymore, I can't find any articles that go into such detail.

I am telling you from first hand experience that it is not bypassed in park, neutral or reverse. It's there, all the time. I did one of my best burnouts sitting on the boost in reverse!

• Jstas
    edited November 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Pics?

Of what?

• Face
    edited November 2007
    I am telling you from first hand experience that it is not bypassed in park, neutral or reverse. It's there, all the time. I did one of my best burnouts sitting on the boost in reverse!

LOL! That must be some sight! :D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    My level of irresponsibility in a Lightning would be unreal.....glad you own it and not me.

I tried taking one for a spin at the dealership and they wouldn't let me. :(
  • Jstas
    edited November 2007
    When I was buying it, the dealer tossed me the keys and says "Here, take it for a spin while I do up the paperwork!"

I laid about 400 feet of rubber marks so black last night that it looked like someone drew on the road with a Sharpie marker with limited-slip!

• BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    When I was buying it, the dealer tossed me the keys and says "Here, take it for a spin while I do up the paperwork!"

I laid about 400 feet of rubber marks so black last night that it looked like someone drew on the road with a Sharpie marker with limited-slip!

Blah :( I usd to love going on test drives just to beat the crap outta cars(probably what the ford dealership was expecting). My best was taking one of those supercharged pontiac GTPs right off the dealership lot and putting down a solid 40 feet of black rubber right out of the dealership driveway and onto the main road WITH the salesman in the car......hey, he told me to drive it like I normally would, don't baby it. I kindly returned the car and said not interested, wasn't was my color(it was preowned).
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2007
    Last Saturday.....

I got sliver!!:eek:
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Blah :( I usd to love going on test drives just to beat the crap outta cars(probably what the ford dealership was expecting).

When I bought my Montero, I asked the sales manager if I could dig a ride in a Lancer EVO III - he said sure, if you want to fill out all the paper work and get approved to buy it first. They won't even let you test drive 'hot' cars around here, unless you sign everything but the final papers.

I asked why - not thinking - and the salesman said 'Would you want to come in here and buy a car like the Lancer EVO that every Tom Dick and Harry had dogged on for the first 150 miles?

Makes perfect sense to me.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2007
    Frank Z wrote: »
    Last Saturday....I got sliver!!:eek:

Get a supercharger, it'll pull that sucker out in a heartbeat. Won't feel a thing.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    okay...I gotta see this lightning

anybody got a pic ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    When I bought my Montero, I asked the sales manager if I could dig a ride in a Lancer EVO III - he said sure, if you want to fill out all the paper work and get approved to buy it first. They won't even let you test drive 'hot' cars around here, unless you sign everything but the final papers.

I asked why - not thinking - and the salesman said 'Would you want to come in here and buy a car like the Lancer EVO that every Tom Dick and Harry had dogged on for the first 150 miles?

The same thing happened to my wife and I when we were car shopping, years ago. We stopped in to see the Mazda RX8 or whatever that ugly thing is called and they did the same thing to us, no test drive unless we were gonna buy it. I told him to go F himself and we bought an new Audi A4 a few hours later.

I never liked Mazda and I certainly don't now.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    Beardog - It looks like a pickup truck with Lightning on the side. The sleeper look....almost.

The Dodge SRT-10 is the same way, not alot of visual clues for the common man.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    I test drove a Pontiac Solstice GXP. That was fun!!! :D
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Beardog - It looks like a pickup truck with Lightning on the side. The sleeper look....almost.

The Dodge SRT-10 is the same way, not alot of visual clues for the common man.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007

Yep, not suprised. When the Subaru STI first came to the states you weren't allowed to test drive one unless you actually bought the car, at which point the car you test drove is the car you owned. Subaru was able to sell all their STIs with only a couple miles on them when they first came out.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Damn...really different out here in Cali....I have test driven just about everything without one scratch to paper...basically all they need is a valid drivers license ( Which I am sure is checked for both validity and if you can afford the car...both of which are fine for me so they have always come back smiling with the key in hand )

Most disappointing was the Viper....guy gave me the key...I SQUEEZED in....there was no way in hell I could have driven that thing....if an auto yes...but my legs ( I am 6'5" ) would only fit with the clutch in the depressed position...hit the steering wheel as released :mad: ( And I fit just fine and have driven a manual supercharged Mini Cooper )

Funniest was about 10 years ago, at a ford dealership testing whatever was the hottest mustang avail at that timeframe...As I approached the 360 degree banked onramp getting onto Monterey Highway I punched it in second gear and basically drifted ( Dont even know if that was a popular term back then ? ) around the entire onramp. When I merged and looked over at the salesman ( A very small statured younger filipino gentleman ) he was crying :D

P.S. The other thing I cannot believe other states get away with is the riveted/screwed through the sheetmetal dealer advertisement logo ???? ( Maybe they are stuck on now...but I have seen many like this ) I would order a car and tell the dealership if you drill my sheetmetal and put your stupid logo on it you can keep the car. Here all they do is put a plastic license frame with their name on it...easily ripped off in 3 seconds leaving no trace it was ever there. I just shake my head when I see out of state cars like that...cant believe its accepted anywhere...
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Jstas
    edited November 2007
    I pulled up to a local dealer in '03 when the Mustang Mach 1's came out. They had 4 sitting on the lot. I rumbled in to the lot in my truck and parked in front of the showroom where I usually do. I walked past the row and saw everyone oogling them. Went to the parts counter, got my parts and walked back outside and threw them in the truck and walked over to the 'stangs.

The salesman there looked at me and said "Ya like that, huh?" I said "Yeah, pretty nice, like a chance to take one for a ride." He snickered, looked me up and down and said "I dunno! I don't think you can handle THIS kinda power!" I said "Oh, really, that much?" He says "Yeah, besides, I think you should have your daddy with you since he's probably going to pay for it!" I said "Oh, ok." Then the guy next to him taps him on the shoulder and says "THAT'S what he drove in and pointed to the Lightning. The salesman looks, I smiled and gave him a thumbs up. The I walked in to the showroom, talked to the showroom manager that I know and got my test drive and the salesman got called in to his office.

Sometimes...

Anyway, like I haven't posted it before, here's the truck:

truck2.gif

That was taken 4 days after I bought it. It's a little older looking now with 92,000+ miles on it but hey. It was made to be driven, not sit in a garage collecting dust. I have more pictures of the interior and under the hood but they are not online right now. I will get them there eventually. I also have the dyno sheet somewhere showing it putting down it's rated power at the wheels.

• Jstas
    edited November 2007
    Oh an Face, this morning, I was thinking about your post as I was getting on the highway. When I heard the engine start to stutter, I checked gauges real quick. I was no where near the rev limiter but the boost gauge was pegged well past the the 10. When I pulled in to the parking lot at work, I made sure to check that the boost gauge was moving if I revved it and while it would be difficult to build max boost without having a con rod vacate the premises, the boost was building and the blower was growling.

The link you posted to the Eaton blowers talks about the bypass but the bypass they are mentioning is what I encountered this morning in 2nd gear and haulin' up the on-ramp at 60+ MPH. It sounds like the engine is missing but what it really is is the boost bypass venting excess pressure to keep from blowing the engine up. If you take an Eaton and flip it upside down and look underneath it, there is a butterfly valve there and that is the boost bypass valve which is controlled by an actuator that is mounted outside of the supercharger.

For those that are wondering, the Eaton supercharger that is on my truck is a Roots type of blower, the same kind that is used on Top Fuel dragsters and funny cars. It is belt driven and known as a positive displacement compressor. The twin screws in the case do not compress air, they just blow it very, very fast. That creates a pressure build up in the lower intake manifold and that is where the pressure comes from. The difference between a positive displacement supercharger and a compression supercharger is kinda like the difference between you and an air compressor blowing up pool toys. An air compressor uses an electronically driven piston to compress air to fill the pool toy. You just wrap your lips around that nozzle and blow your little heart out. You don't compress air in your lungs, you just move more air than the cavity you are blowing in to is capable of dissipating, thereby increasing pressure in that cavity. Both methods are effective but positive displacement is not necessarily as efficient as compression. It does tend to add less heat to the compression process though.