DirectTV DVR service question

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone with DirectTV out there? The DirectTV DVR package mentions a 'DVR service' which costs an extra $5.99 per month. I guess I don't quite understand. I thought all I needed was a DVR and I could record any channel I wanted, just like a VCR. Is there actually a 'service' that they have to activate to allow you to record? That doesn't make sense.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2007
    yep. One charge per phone number per month, regardless of how many DVR you own or installed.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited November 2007
    Think of it kinda like Tivo service. It allows you to set up series recording, search through listings, prioritize recordings, automatically adjusts recordings if the time changes, etc.
    Its a small price to pay for DVR functionality.
    In addition, if you get the new HR20, you can network the DVR and get 'On Demand' type service through the internet.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dragon1952
    edited November 2007
    Ah...OK. So I can still record a show without the service, I just don't get the on-screen functionality? That would make more sense.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    No, you must subscribe to the service to have the recording capabilities.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • dragon1952
    edited November 2007
    OK...I guess I don't understand then. What difference is there in recording to a DVR and a VCR? You press 'record' and it records. How do they know what recording device you have?
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    I know that a DVR is used in a camera, and a VCR is yeah, you know...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    Well, my uncle has DirecTV - You can use your own DVR (he has a Panasonic DMR-E95HS, same as what I use) and record DirecTV channels. There is no special "service" to subscribe to to be able to use a DVR to record DirecTV.

That being said, if you want to pay for their "DVR service," basically they will give you a DVR box for $5.99 a month.

My suggestion - use your own DVR unless you want to rent their DVR box.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2007
    Its called "nickel and dime"
  • dragon1952
    edited November 2007
    Yeah....unbelievable. $5.99 to rent the dvr and $5.99 for the service.
    OK..thanks appadv...that's exactly how I thought it 'should' work.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »

No problem, just get a good HDD DVR or HTPC, or even a good DVD Recorder/HDD combo will do just fine!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• billbillw
    edited November 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »

No, no, no. There is not a separate rental fee.

If you have only a single TV, and that TV has a DVR, there is no rental/lease fee. You would only be charged the DVR fee. If you have two TVs, the 2nd TV is charged a $4.99 lease fee to "mirror" programing. This is much the same as Cable, or any of the other satellite providers. The DVR service fee is separate and applies to any and all DVRs in the house.

I do not recommend doing what appadv said, especially if you are considering HD service. A 3rd party DVR won't be able to record in HD from the satellite feed.

Even if you aren't considering HD, the hassle of having a separate DVR are not worth the savings if you ask me.

The ability to pause live TV, buffer 90 minutes of live TV, record 2 shows, (or a show that you are not watching), or watch an old recording while recording two shows. You can't do all that with a plain Directv box and a 3rd party DVR (or HTPC). Its worth 20 cents per day, isn't it?
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I do not recommend doing what appadv said, especially if you are considering HD service. A 3rd party DVR won't be able to record in HD from the satellite feed.

Even if you aren't considering HD, the hassle of having a separate DVR are not worth the savings if you ask me.

The ability to pause live TV, buffer 90 minutes of live TV, record 2 shows, (or a show that you are not watching), or watch an old recording while recording two shows. You can't do any of that with a plain Directv box and a 3rd party DVR. Its worth 20 cents per day, isn't it?

What? I can definitely pause live TV with my DVR, or watch a recording on the hard drive while recording another.

Time slip feature is pretty cool:)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    The VOD is awesome.. I have yet to see any HD VOD though.. Some shows looks good(dexter) some shows look like complete crap(apocolypto) on VOD.

Think of it kinda like Tivo service. It allows you to set up series recording, search through listings, prioritize recordings, automatically adjusts recordings if the time changes, etc.
    Its a small price to pay for DVR functionality.
    In addition, if you get the new HR20, you can network the DVR and get 'On Demand' type service through the internet.
  • billbillw
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    What? I can definitely pause live TV with my DVR, or watch a recording on the hard drive while recording another.

You cannot watch a live show and record another though or record two shows at the same time. Also, unless I'm misinformed, the program guide is not compatible with satellite service, so you cannot setup any kind of series recording and you have to manually tune and record everything.

With our busy lives, the convenience of a full fledged two tuner DVR with support from your provider is hard to beat. Set up a recording for a series and forget about it.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007

I think he was referring to dual tuners - watching one live channel while recording another, or recording two channels.

I'd almost always rent a DVR, just for the ease of it, and the free upgradability. If you spend 400 bucks on a DVR, it would take you five and a half years to recoup that at 6 bucks a month. By then it would have broken, which would be a free replacement on a rental. Plus, in five years, the technology will be better. Again, free upgrade with rental.

I hate giving more money to satellite or cable companies but it's definitely worth it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    hmmm..........let me check my last bill...........

nope, you have to pay 4.99 for the receiver and 5.99 for the DVR service,,,,,,waaaaaaaaaa or argggggggggggg.

RT1
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    You cannot watch a live show and record another though or record two shows at the same time. Also, unless I'm misinformed, the program guide is not compatible with satellite service, so you cannot setup any kind of series recording and you have to manually tune and record everything.

With our busy lives, the convenience of a full fledged two tuner DVR with support from your provider is hard to beat. Set up a recording for a series and forget about it.

The "TV Guide On-Screen" guide will still load. IIRC, it basically takes the info hidden in the vertical blanking signal, and this data contains guide/time info.

Edit: yes you can also set up recording for a series, I've done it!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polkatese
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'd almost always rent a DVR, just for the ease of it, and the free upgradability. If you spend 400 bucks on a DVR, it would take you five and a half years to recoup that at 6 bucks a month. By then it would have broken, which would be a free replacement on a rental. Plus, in five years, the technology will be better. Again, free upgrade with rental.

I hate giving more money to satellite or cable companies but it's definitely worth it.

Amen to that!

Two HR10, total cost: approx. $450 - obsolete, one with a bunch of HD recording that I want to keep.

3 HR20, total cost: $0

rental it is from now on.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    My cable company charges $10.95 a month for a DVR, so buying my own DVR was worth it in my case.

Guess it's different when it's $6 a month...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    My cable company charges $10.95 a month for a DVR, so buying my own DVR was worth it in my case.

Guess it's different when it's $6 a month...

How much did you pay for your DVR?

It would have to be less than two years worth of rental for it to be worth it to me, as I assume pretty much any type of electronic device like that is going to break or need upgrading within two years.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • billbillw
    edited November 2007
    The "TV Guide On-Screen" guide will still load. IIRC, it basically takes the info hidden in the vertical blanking signal, and this data contains guide/time info.

Edit: yes you can also set up recording for a series, I've done it!

Doesn't work with Satellite, like I said. You have Cable. Dragon was specifically asking about Directv.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Doesn't work with Satellite, like I said. You have Cable.

My uncle has DirecTV. He also has the same DVR. See my first post.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• billbillw
    edited November 2007
    hmmm..........let me check my last bill...........

nope, you have to pay 4.99 for the receiver and 5.99 for the DVR service,,,,,,waaaaaaaaaa or argggggggggggg.

RT1

The 4.99 lease/mirror fee only applies to 2nd/3rd, etc receivers. The 1st one is free (or included in monthly service cost anyway)
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    With DirecTV, the (an external) DVR's TV Guide works this way: at night when you're sleeping, the DVR goes through every channel on the satellite feed and grabs its embedded data.

The DVR needs to have a remote controller (IR blaster) glued to the front of the DirecTV box, otherwise it will not work. Also, at night you may notice the channels magically changing on the DirecTV. This is how the DVR is able to get its guide info.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• hexumjunkie
    hexumjunkie Posts: 191
    edited November 2007
    get cable direct tv and dish are garabage
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    Not around me.. I love my directv setup..
  • billbillw
    edited November 2007

At least twice as many HD channels? Superior hardware with more advance features and longer recording capability? Directv is definitely not garbage. Not to mention, in my area, its almost $30 cheaper than equivalent service from Comcast.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    no bill, its not included, i called and checked because I pay both, I was very clear about what I was asking because its right on my invoce. your just wrong dude oh so wrong so wrong so wrong......waaaaaaaaaaaa if you got a better deal that is so wrong so wrong so wrong the dip dong I got said sir you pay, if you dont pay you dont play........this fee never bothered me until this thread you bastages from the hound of bastages.....but now it bothers me plenty, especially if bill is not paying, I am calling Direct to report him..........hmmmm.....maybe a ban on him..........naw.......ok bill you pay me two bucks a month or I am snitching you dude and it will be in your permanent record!!!!!!!!

RT1
  • billbillw
    edited November 2007
    no bill, its not included, i called and checked because I pay both, I was very clear about what I was asking because its right on my invoce. your just wrong dude oh so wrong so wrong so wrong......waaaaaaaaaaaa if you got a better deal that is so wrong so wrong so wrong the dip dong I got said sir you pay, if you dont pay you dont play........this fee never bothered me until this thread you bastages from the hound of bastages.....but now it bothers me plenty, especially if bill is not paying, I am calling Direct to report him..........hmmmm.....maybe a ban on him..........naw.......ok bill you pay me two bucks a month or I am snitching you dude and it will be in your permanent record!!!!!!!!

RT1

Do you have more than one TV? I though so. That 4.99 is mirror/lease fee. Not charged for your primary receiver. I guarantee.

Straight from Directv's website:

"Leasing
    01 Why lease the DIRECTV equipment?
    As the technology in our receivers becomes more advanced, leasing allows us to continue to provide the latest equipment to you — at minimal cost. Leasing also permits affordable upgrades and free replacement receivers.

02 Is the monthly lease fee different for different equipment?
    The monthly lease fee is $4.99 per receiver, though we waive this fee on your first receiver. This low monthly fee is the same for standard receivers, DVRs, HD receivers and HD DVRs."
  • polkatese
    edited November 2007

RT1

dayum, RT1, you started early! What are you having? :)