Shootings at the Arbor Place mall

zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well... to the point. My best friend and I decided to take our lunch break at the Arbor Place food court in Douglasville, GA (a suburb of Atlanta). Our receipt read 12:06, so I imagine that the shootings took place around 12:11. First thing I remember is the first shot going off. Actually, it sounded like a very loud cafeteria tray being dropped. You know the sound if you ever spent any time in school. More eerie is the fact that the place went completely silent. Pitch black silent.

Then a volley of shots. And then the screaming and the running. Some ran towards the bathrooms. A few dropped. I did a quick Terminator scan of my surroundings (miliseconds), and saw an exit pretty much immediately. So did my friend. It's amazing how fast the mind can work. Or how fast time can slow down.

Made a B-line to the exit and found about a three flight service entrance. At this point, I remember thinking -- "why are people running to the bathroom. Sitting ducks." As I ran with the crowd down the stairs, my second thought was -- "I hope the bottom doors aren't chained." Virginia Tech was definitely on the mind.

When I finally made it outside (an instant seemed like an eternity), I realized that Frosty wasn't by my side. Nowhere. In a panic, I called him only to get no answer. Really in a panic at this point. In about 30 seconds, my phone rang. Frosty. "Where are you?" "Outside, where are you?" "Still in the food court." At this point, I realize he had never seen the exit. Just ran forward.

So I pointed him to it. Empty. Not a soul. You can imagine his hesitation. "Should I brave it?" "I don't...." "I'm doing it."
In about twenty-five seconds, he emerged from the exit. Serious relief here, accompanied by utter confusion. I remember seeing a teenager in a wheel chair to my right wailing -- someone who'd I had seen in the food court. I don't think I'll ever know how he got down.

Turns out a small, old man had grabbed Frosty by the leg. Pulled him down. Shakingly removed some mace and a small hobby knife from his pockets. Handed the knife to Frosty, and said "If they come over here, we're killing him."

Later we found out that a stray bullet had come through the food court, about twenty feet to my right. The pretzel stand's sign shattered and the bullet exited out a window. Went through the entire court and missed everyone. Blessed.

Turns out it was a Brinks armored robbery. The armed guard took a bullet to the leg, but is stable. His assailant is in critical condition with several bullets in his mouth. All accomplises are at large.

A friend of our's who works at After Hours, saw the whole thing from about ten feet away. Just happened to be in the backroom. When the police told her she could go and they would contact her later, she hesitated. Didn't want to walk on the blood. The cops told her it would be alright. She soon emerged from the mall very much shaken. She won't be returning to work tomorrow.

Before going to eat, we debated whether to pay her a visit before or after. Thank God we decided "after".

There's so many more details. So many odd visions. Memories. But for now, I'll just leave these few things here. I'll be hugging the ones I love a little harder tonight.
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear you're ok.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    Heavy!! I can't even imagine what you were feeling.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    WOW, that is something you will never forget. Glad you are ok.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    Wow...quite an adventure. Good to hear you're safe.

Reminds me of the 2 coup d'etat's I went through while living in Venezuela. We lived across a highway from a military base and it was ugly....bullets flying over our heads inside our home. My wife an me covering our son, 2 years old at the time. I learned what panic means.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Whoa! ...............Whoa!...................:eek: :eek: :eek:

A little too close to home ZB! Glad to hear you made it and I hope the perps are hung by the dong for this. Hotlanta's not so hot today.

Puts a whole new perspective on life, huh?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited November 2007
    WOW!

Glad you okay Jason. Let's pray for the recovery of the Brink's men.
    Carl

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear you are ok, Jason!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited November 2007
    Glad you're okay. My dad told me about it earlier this evening. Nothing minor ever happens in D'ville. It's always something big. I swear the Sheriff's Dept. back home is good at keeping a lot of things quiet.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Phew, scary story with an ending we can live with.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I hope the bad guys go to jail.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Wow...quite an adventure. Good to hear you're safe.

Reminds me of the 2 coup d'etat's I went through while living in Venezuela. We lived across a highway from a military base and it was ugly....bullets flying over our heads inside our home. My wife an me covering our son, 2 years old at the time. I learned what panic means.

I can only imagine Ricardo. To have a child in such a situation... I do remember watching parents fall over their kids. No running. Just protection.

To me, panic now means time moving so fast and so slow at the same time. If that makes sense. My Dad just told me that he received my first call at 12:13. We ordered food at 12:06. Heard shots at 12:11 or 10. The whole thing seemed like an eternity.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited November 2007
    Glad all is good. I deal with Brinks Mon. thru Fri. Hope I never have to deal with that
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2007
    Glad that you are ok. My daughter lives very close to the mall,Had to call her and see if see and the kids are ok.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Glad you're okay. My dad told me about it earlier this evening. Nothing minor ever happens in D'ville. It's always something big. I swear the Sheriff's Dept. back home is good at keeping a lot of things quiet.

Wes

My Dad just agreed whole-heartedly with your assessment of D'ville. I didn't know this. He's originally from Jersey and has spent the last 25 around these parts. Thirty years in the Atlanta area.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited November 2007
    Holy $hi+,
    I was just at that Mall with my wife and 1-year old son about 3 weeks ago. We sat there and ate a snack, purchased from the very same Pretzel Stand that you mentioned. We probably sat in the vicinity of where you said the stray bullet flew.

The crazy thing is, Arbor Place is one of the newest malls in the metro area, and its one of the nicer ones too. You just don't imagine being in danger at a place like that.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Boy!That is quite a day you had. I am so glad you are ok.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I would have walked into the courtyard and stated "You don't know me!...who are you to judge me $%&$#....wasup, you want some of this ****!?"....but you chose the lame route. I'm just happy I got away.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    Wow! I'm glad you & your friend are ok.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    Holy $hi+,
    I was just at that Mall with my wife and 1-year old son about 3 weeks ago. We sat there and ate a snack, purchased from the very same Pretzel Stand that you mentioned. We probably sat in the vicinity of where you said the stray bullet flew.

The crazy thing is, Arbor Place is one of the newest malls in the metro area, and its one of the nicer ones too. You just don't imagine being in danger at a place like that.

Believe it or not... we're right in the 30127. Right off of Cleburne. As the crow flies.

I agree.... I got out of downtown L'ville to escape this sort of crap.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I would have walked into the courtyard and stated "You don't know me!...who are you to judge me $%&$#....wasup, you want some of this ****!?"....but you chose the lame route. I'm just happy I got away.

For what it's worth, I did to cartwheels down the stairs.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    OK, that's acceptable. Glad your safe homeslice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    OK, that's acceptable. Glad your safe homeslice.

Thanks:) I'm glad everyone is safe. The fact the bullet managed to make its ways through a full court without clipping a soul is worth giving thanks.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    At the mall near where I live (Richmond, Ca.), there would have been 8 or ten people shooting back in that food court !!

Glad your okay, and yer bud too...!

Funny how time does that in those type of situations....after you have been there a few times , you learn how to use that slow-mo time to your advantage...

You did well finding an exit the way you did....it`s always good to know your surroundings just in case......

cause you never know
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited November 2007
    a little too close to home for me, Arbor Place is 25 min away, we shop there all the time.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    i would have ruined my underwear for sure. Glad everything is chill now
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited November 2007
    Believe it or not... we're right in the 30127. Right off of Cleburne. As the crow flies.

I agree.... I got out of downtown L'ville to escape this sort of crap.

I've seen Cleburne on the way up to shop in Hiram. We are definitely not far away. I'm off Hiram-Lithia Springs Rd, a mile or two south of Brownsville.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    Sho' nuff Sean.
    Now that you mention it, I did think about all the purses and personal belongings that were left behind. A lot of people trying to get back.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I've seen Cleburne on the way up to shop in Hiram. We are definitely not far away. I'm off Hiram-Lithia Springs Rd, a mile or two south of Brownsville.

We're off Hill Rd. One mile off of Brownsville. Paulding Co. side. Small world, eh?
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    Now that you mention it, I did think about all the purses and personal belongings that were left behind. A lot of people trying to get back.

That's when I would have rolled my 30 sided die and went into thief mode. I've been wanting to be Asian for a long time and identity theft might be the only way for me.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2007
    I think I have a new signature Doro. That laugh was hellacious.

edit: Cherry on top of the sundae, I was always a thief in my 13th year dork mode days.