50 greatest fictional weapons of all time

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am sure you guys can come up with some not on the list....

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/006398688.cfm?page=1
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Where's the BFG 9000 on that list?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG9000

I second that....list is crap without the BFG
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    36. The BFG9000

You guys must be tired, it's right there. ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    36. The BFG9000

You guys must be tired, it's right there. ;)

Good catch...damn and I rescanned myself to make sure Sal didnt miss it...Doh :o
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2007
    two words:
    Ice Nine
    cats.vans.bag...
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited November 2007
    Cool list but they left out some of the basics:

1. Blades of Chaos, weilded by Kratos and melded to his skin. (God Of War)
    2. The Glathe from Krull
    3. The Holy Hand Grenade
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    The Wave Motion Gun
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    The Wave Motion Gun

wow, thats bringing back memories!!!!!! I knwo the ship was the Yamato, but what was the show's name........was that Starblazers?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Liono's sword from Thundercats!!!!!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Liono's sword from Thundercats!!!!!

Shawn

sword of omens, its on the list.....as it should be :D

throw me on the list of people thinking WTF isnt the Glathe from Krull on there.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    I have to give them major points for including the heat-seeking missile gun from "Runaway." Ditto for the "DS9" sniper rifle.

Negative points for the Buffy scythe. If you look closely you can see it's engraved with "jumped the shark."

Other possibilities:

Poison robot spiders from "Runaway"
    Handheld minigun from "Predator"
    Killer flying CDs from "I Come in Peace"
    M41A pulse rifle from "Aliens"
    Vorlon planet killer from "Babylon 5"
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    I'm glad they included the Spread gun from the game "Contra" definitly deserving as a superior weapon in a game. If you accidently got another gun, your heart just frikkin sank.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited November 2007
    The LIGHT SABER!!!!
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    My favorite is still the Gravity Gun. Oh I would have such fun!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ohskigod
    edited November 2007
    i only started to play half life 2 (xbox360 orange box) I never played the game before. I heard the Gravity gun is one of the game's guilty pleasures :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited November 2007
    They didn't list the Redeemer from Unreal Tournament.

The best part about that was that if you could find a good place to hide and fire the redeemer from that spot, you had the option of actually guiding the guided nuke to it's destination. It especially comes in handy for the Capture the Flag matches and Last Man Standing matches

From Wikipedia:
    Redeemer: A small thermo-nuclear rocket launcher. The Redeemer's missile causes a gigantic explosion, the shockwave of which vaporizes players instantly. The secondary fire launched a guided nuclear warhead which the user can fly. While guiding the missile, the user can see only the missile's point-of-view, and thus unable to see what happens to his player. Snipers can easily trace the white smoke trail back to its source. Many snipers have also been able to shoot down the missile which explodes on the spot. The Redeemer is the 'ultimate' weapon of the game but only comes with 1 ammo as it is disastrous.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    When I played the UT Demo I took the lazy way out. Camping on the quad damge with the shock rifle and vaporizing anyone who sneezed. :D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Disc launcher from Tribes, especially on modded servers
    Rail Gun from Red Faction, that thing would go through any wall and own people
    Robocop's Pistol
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited November 2007
    Bagged, don't you just love blasting your way through the levels? It was heavily marketed as the feature that made Red Faction unique but wasn't really implemented to its fullest until Red Faction 2. Reminded me of Zelda, find a wall with cracks in it means theres a secret.

One weapon I wish they added was the cerebral bore from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. This thing was bad ****, drill through a guys skull spewing brains across the ground. Another fun weapon from this game was the mine layer, guy would walk bye and the mine would jump 3ft into the air and cut them in half.
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    The Force
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Bagged, don't you just love blasting your way through the levels? It was heavily marketed as the feature that made Red Faction unique but wasn't really implemented to its fullest until Red Faction 2. Reminded me of Zelda, find a wall with cracks in it means theres a secret.

One weapon I wish they added was the cerebral bore from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. This thing was bad ****, drill through a guys skull spewing brains across the ground. Another fun weapon from this game was the mine layer, guy would walk bye and the mine would jump 3ft into the air and cut them in half.

Haha yea blasting through levels was my speciality. I had all the hacks that allowed you to fly and tunnel through walls with unlimited ammo. I would build my own personal tunnel high in the sky and then just shoot down with thousands of rails through the enemy base....god what a game. I total owned as a direct result of cheating.

Never played Turok 2, but the original Turok was amazing.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited November 2007
    No Deathstar? I know Luke "womprat killer" got lucky taking the 1st one down, but as a whole that's pretty high on the bad@ss weapons list...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    The weapon that should be on there is Chicky Baby's Magic Kryss. I found it in an IDOC and it kills in 1 to 3 hits. It's so fast!!!

Wow! Been a long time since I played UO, is that what it looks like now-a-days?

I'd say it was a normal Kryss with dealy poison on it going up against noobs:

twang...twang...twang... "spanky spazims with poison".. (sound of horse shoes running away)... UGGGGGGGG.... "spanky dies"... OOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited November 2007
    Another one they forgot was the Gauss Rifle from MechWarrior.

That was a bad, bad gun! If you managed to get a mech big enough to hold it and still have a few laser or missiles for close-in fighting, you could sit on the horizon from your opponent and just pummel them non-stop and they could start running or flying towards you to close the range and you'd have them annihilated or at least crippled to the point of ineffectiveness within a few shots.

Thing is, Gauss Rifles are a REAL thing and not that "fictional" I guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_Rifle

Another one from MechWarrior they didn't mention was the ER PPC or the PPC. PPC stands for Particle Projection Cannon. While singularly, they were pretty stout but not to the point of instantaneous vaporization, if you had a mech big enough with enough heat syncs, you could daisy chain 4-6 of them and tie them into a batch fire. Yeah, the 4-6 shots wouldn't kill the other guy instantly but the whole point of the PPC and ER PPC was to generate heat and electromagnetic interference on your opponent. The heat burst from 4-6 of those bad boys would generate so much heat in the opponent that they would shutdown immediatly and then get overwhelmed and blow up. Bigger opponents needed a second or 3rd blast. Only problem was that the PPC would also overload your mech with heat too so you had to be careful.

From Wikipedia on the PPC: A Particle Projection Cannon (PPC) is a fictional weapon in the BattleTech universe. It is an ion cannon which fires charged plasma and does damage by heating components and armor to melting temperatures. It also causes interference with the enemy battlemech's sensors and electronics.

The PPC fires bolts of ionized particles which cause damage both by impact and extreme heat. The Clan model has a more extended range than its Inner Sphere counterpart. Both models also disrupt the target's electrical systems, preventing rapid return fire while they recharge and cool.

The PPC is popular among MechWarriors, especially Clan pilots due to the improved damage and range of their version, called the Clan Extended Range-PPC, or ER-PPC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_Projection_Cannon
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jakelm
    edited November 2007
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited November 2007
    Plasma Beam from Metroid Prime and later
    Ion Cannon and Commando's C4 from Command and Conquer

How about that wicked beam from the ships in Independence Day?

Movtarget in NC
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    jakelm wrote: »

Use the Schwartz!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    Where's the BFG 9000 on that list?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG9000

When I read the title I immediately thought of the BFG!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    The weapon that should be on there is Chicky Baby's Magic Kryss. I found it in an IDOC and it kills in 1 to 3 hits. It's so fast!!!

Las, what game is that?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    Lancer assault rifle Gears of War.
    How can you go wrong with a rifle with a chainsaw bayonet?
    Pretty fargin' cool!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    Or the Hammer of Dawn?