What 2ch amp for SDA SRS r u running?

Options
mopar paul
mopar paul Posts: 277
edited December 2007 in Vintage Speakers
To all you guys out there with SDA SRS's, what amp are you running or what would you recommend for about $500.00?? Thanks a lot.
Post edited by mopar paul on

Comments

• cpsolo2
    cpsolo2 Posts: 6
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I have always run Yamaha MX 800 or MX 1000 amps or Onkyo m509 or 506rs amps. The onkyo provides better bass for me but the Yamaha amps are great too. I have an MX 800 i am selling since I have 2 onkyo amps now. Polk speakers love high current amps capable of driving low impedance loads.
  • mopar paul
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Im really leaning toward Parasounds-maybe the HCA 2200II at 250wpc but more preferably the HCA3500-350wpc. I've hear nothing but good from them and decided to up my limit to about $650.00 fro an amp right now.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I hate to burst your bubble, but the 3500 goes for about double your limit and the 2200 will most likely run $700-$800. A 1500A or a Halo A23 would be closer to your price cap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I don't have SRS; but I've used Aragon 4004 Mk I with SDA1B for ten years, moving from that to an Aragon 8008BB.

I have a 4004 Mk II for sale on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290187342612&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
  • mopar paul
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Well I just sold some more junk on ebag so my limit just went up again, might bid on that Aragon of yours-have heard good things about them too! Where does this end?!
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Where does this end?!

It doesn't. Stop looking for the end and enjoy the process; you'll never get out alive otherwise! ;)
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble, but the 3500 goes for about double your limit and the 2200 will most likely run $700-$800. A 1500A or a Halo A23 would be closer to your price cap.

Very true,the HCA1500A will drive em' just fine...Can you even power SDA's with a 3500? Being as it is a dual mono design?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Good point, Mike. The only SDA's that could be used with an amp like the 3500 would be those capable of using the AI-1. The SDA SRS's are not one of those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Can you even power SDA's with a 3500? Being as it is a dual mono design?

You could if the 3500 allows its negative binding posts to be strapped together.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    Options
    The 600wpc Carver I just picked up makes my SDAs sound fantastic. Some people may not like the Carver choice, but the prices can be good and power can be plenty. Plus, Bob Carver is just a cool guy.
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I have the Carver TFM-35 which works great. It's 350W @ 8 Ohms and around 700W at 4 Ohms.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I believe the Aragon 4004 is also dual mono isn't it?

Just loooked at the ebay ad clearly states it is.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Parasound HCA 1200 II. I used one for a few years. Probably never needed more than 40-50 of those 315 or so it had @ 4 ohms. Lately, I've been driving them with a 40 wpc Anthem, but just sold it, so for now I'm driving them with an AMC 2100. It does just fine,
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2007
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    I believe the Aragon 4004 is also dual mono isn't it?

Just loooked at the ebay ad clearly states it is.
    The "classic" Aragon two-channel amps are dual mono. (multi-channel amps share the power supply, so they are not triple-, penta-, or septa-mono.) And for the first few months, (on the advice of a telephone conversation with someone at Polk) I had a jumper cable that strapped the two negative speaker terminals to assure that they were common ground.

At some point, I called Aragon, talked to "the" head dude--Anthony Federici hisself--and he told me that there was no reason to use the jumper cable; the amp was dual-mono but common ground. The jumper was removed and not replaced.

The 4004 Mk II I have for sale is TOTALLY compatible with the SDA series; NO mods needed to amp or speakers.

And it sounds, looks, and functions great!
  • mopar paul
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the added info, I'm going to try and get the 1500A on ebag right now-looks like a great price and the money I save could be used for better cables and a crossover upgrade (tweeters have already been done).
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    The "classic" Aragon two-channel amps are dual mono. (multi-channel amps share the power supply, so they are not triple-, penta-, or septa-mono.) And for the first few months, (on the advice of a telephone conversation with someone at Polk) I had a jumper cable that strapped the two negative speaker terminals to assure that they were common ground.

At some point, I called Aragon, talked to "the" head dude--Anthony Federici hisself--and he told me that there was no reason to use the jumper cable; the amp was dual-mono but common ground. The jumper was removed and not replaced.

The 4004 Mk II I have for sale is TOTALLY compatible with the SDA series; NO mods needed to amp or speakers.

And it sounds, looks, and functions great!

Good to know. I fell in love with this amp in the mid '90s. If I could find
    SDA's near me, I like these amps as an option.

Xavier
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.