The ORIGINAL Original Forum. When?

2»

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    I miss Darrin the Lunatic. Mike McG was always fun to watch if somebody was a horse's **** too.

Ron (Falcon), you were already here on one of your closer orbits when I joined, so it was in the earth year 1999 or prior.

So I've got awhile before a tenth year pin, but some other guys should almost be right there maybe.

And meeting Troy in person , and hanging out with him in his home, was a really **** way to find out he had okay taste in rum, and an absolute freakin' BABE for a wife.
  • thebluemonkey
    thebluemonkey Posts: 190
    edited November 2007
    remember it well
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    Looking forward to your next 8 posts being as humorous and meaningful as this one.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2007
    I was reading here for sometime before I ever joined, I recon it took seeing what a bunch of friendly fokers :) you were before I joined, even then you had to give serial numbers before you could join. I saw a post on Mike and Bobs forum mentioning this place so I stumbled on over.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited November 2007
    wow, there was internet 10 years ago? I guess that is after Al Gore created it! LOL
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    reberly wrote: »
    wow, there was internet 10 years ago? I guess that is after Al Gore created it! LOL

The modern Web goes back to, what, about 1995? Lots of content providing online services like Compuserve before that, and various BBSs and assorted other things before that.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    The modern Web goes back to, what, about 1995? Lots of content providing online services like Compuserve before that, and various BBSs and assorted other things before that.

Most people say the real beginning of the "web" was when Mosaic came out, which was 1993. Man is that a long time ago.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited November 2007
    I know I never head of the internet in '93 but I think I do remember using mosaic in '94 which I think might have transformed into netscape in '95.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited November 2007
    I joined the forum the year prior or the year I became President of our gun club, that was either 1998 or 1999.

To old to remember exactly.

Nisqually Dave
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    I had dial-up(super fast 9600 modem) service in 1994, in Huntsville, Al. The military has had the "internet" since the mid to late 60's. Universities got on board not too many years after that, iirc.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    I should go retro and fire up my DEC Rainbow with the shoebox size 300 baud modem.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    I should go retro and fire up my DEC Rainbow with the shoebox size 300 baud modem.

Given your location, are you ex-DEC?
    There's always a VT220 and the Hayes modem.
    Classic hitech from the late 80's. Remember BBS's and Fidonet?
    Who knew that the "non commercial use" status of the internet
    would fall apart and become the WWW.com monster it is today.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    I was never with DEC, although I know many folks who were. Some Wang and DG people, too. I started collecting computers a few years back and got into the hardware that way--I still have some of the rare machines. Used to have a newer DEC terminal, VT320 maybe?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    I was never with DEC, although I know many folks who were. Some Wang and DG people, too. I started collecting computers a few years back and got into the hardware that way--I still have some of the rare machines. Used to have a newer DEC terminal, VT320 maybe?

I did some time with DEC. I remember when suddenly they were no longer relevant
    to the world of computing. Upper management had no clue that
    the place was making buggy whips. It went from the second largest computer
    company in the world to a big fat zero in a couple of short years. My group
    was sold off in 1993. Best thing that could of happened!
    Interesting that IBM, who sponsored token ring, is still around.
    The commitment of DEC to ethernet helped make the connected world what it is today.
    Its a shame they didn't drop the big iron stuff, and go with networking like Cisco did.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson