Any doctors here?

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    It takes about 4-5 days for the antibiotics to fully kick in & for you to start feeling a difference. So take them on a consistent schedule & finish the ENTIRE amount given. Don't stop taking them when you start feeling better.

You need the rest to help fight the infection. So stop worrying & just sleep.

I'm not worrying, I've been sleeping for hours and just get up once in a while due to the cough.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2007
    Thera Flu will also help. I normally have the same conditions you have, I just have some thera flu, take meds, nap out.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Thera Flu will also help. I normally have the same conditions you have, I just have some thera flu, take meds, nap out.

Do you seem to get sick often? I do.

Can't really sleep anymore, as I've slept nearly 20 hours in the past day or so...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited November 2007
    When Im sick I dont sleep much, normally go to bed around 3 or 4. If Im under the heavy meds no choice but to pass out then. But it sucks, I have a sore throat, had fever last week, just still pumping the OJ, thera flu, Nyquil, Alka Seltzers Cold tabs and whatever else I get from the Dr.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    When Im sick I dont sleep much, normally go to bed around 3 or 4. If Im under the heavy meds no choice but to pass out then. But it sucks, I have a sore throat, had fever last week, just still pumping the OJ, thera flu, Nyquil, Alka Seltzers Cold tabs and whatever else I get from the Dr.

Wow, I've been in bed since 8:00 yesterday night till now. And I still don't feel any better with regards to the fever.

I also have a sore throat along with the sinus infection. The only good thing is that the sinus infection is starting to go away...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    are you in a house with forced hot air? if so, does it have a humidifier (one that is connected to the house's ductwork.
    check the humidifier, if it is not serviced, it can cause a problem like you have. when I first moved into my house, I had a sinus infection that just would nt go away. I was sick for ...like...2 months. turned off the humidifier and got better pretty quick.

This was 3 years ago and until this year never turned on the humidifier again. I got it serviced this year with all new internal components (including sponge) I have a service that will service it at least once a year (which is very required)

forced hot air overall requires yearly maintenance, including cleaning of filters to avoid a myriad of breathing problems
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    if you havent already increased your vitamin c intake, might want to do so. wont help as much with what you got now, but will prevent it from coming back. I do the chewable vitamin c myself. 1000 mg in am and 1000 mg in PM way more than needed, but i'm a big guy.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    are you in a house with forced hot air? if so, does it have a humidifier (one that is connected to the house's ductwork.
    check the humidifier, if it is not serviced, it can cause a problem like you have. when I first moved into my house, I had a sinus infection that just would nt go away. I was sick for ...like...2 months. turned off the humidifier and got better pretty quick.

This was 3 years ago and until this year never turned on the humidifier again. I got it serviced this year with all new internal components (including sponge) I have a service that will service it at least once a year (which is very required)

forced hot air overall requires yearly maintenance, including cleaning of filters to avoid a myriad of breathing problems

I'm in a college dorm, with no forced hot air. The heating system we have is a steam system, with radiators on the wall. There is also no humidifier.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Try sniffing warm salt water several times a day. When I have bad sinus problems it's what I do and withing a couple of days it's all good and gone.
    These types of things are made for that. Probably a little better designed to do what you want than trying to sniff warm salt water from a glass......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I'll give the warm salt water thing another try. The only thing is that in the past, it ended up making my nose and throat hurt even more.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    dont' use too much salt...........checked a few places and they recommend 1 teaspoon to 2 cups of warm water.........but use sea salt instead of iodized
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    dont' use too much salt...........checked a few places and they recommend 1 teaspoon to 2 cups of warm water.........but use sea salt instead of iodized

Thanks, I hope I feel better soon so that things can get back to normal and I'll start listening to music again!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Just came back from my film studies class and the "rainbow effect" from the DLP projector gave me a tremendous amount of headache. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Tomorrow I have a Physics class and for the PowerPoint slides they also use DLP projectors. ARGH!

I hope I can make it through that class, watching a projector while sick makes me even more sick.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Hmm,

I'm not getting better, I'm wondering what this could be?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    More than likely you are just not getting enough rest. I have learned over the years that it is essential to get lots of rest when sick. It's also important to do so when healthy to help fight things off.

I trust you are taking your antibiotics on a set schedule. When those are gone & if you are not improved then go back to the doctor.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    More than likely you are just not getting enough rest. I have learned over the years that it is essential to get lots of rest when sick. It's also important to do so when healthy to help fight things off.

I trust you are taking your antibiotics on a set schedule. When those are gone & if you are not improved then go back to the doctor.

Well this past week, on average, I've slept 12 hours a night, and in the afternoon I sleep another 3-4 hours. I'm trying my best to get as much rest as possible.

In the first few nights I've slept up to 15 hours!

When your'e sick, you want to sleep.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    If you aren't feeling any better by Monday, get a second opinion. Maybe it's viral.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    If you aren't feeling any better by Monday, get a second opinion. Maybe it's viral.

Will try to see another doctor if not better by Monday.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    If it's viral, does that mean I'm in a bad situation?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    Nope. As far as I know, just different meds.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Thanks, I hope I get better soon so that I don't have to take more meds.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Nope. As far as I know, just different meds.

If it is a viral infection, is there any chance that I can get better on my own without taking anything?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2007
    There are very few (if any) medicines that "treat" the actual viral infections; at least the kind that you may be suffering from. They are more designed to treat the symptoms that are associated with a viral infection (congestion, cough, fever, etc.) until your immune system can fend off the virus by itself. The problems arise when you are given antibiotics to treat a viral infection because your immune system is diminished due to the medication and it is actually not "killing" the virus so your symptoms linger- usually until you're off the medication and your immune system has sufficiently recovered. Many can and will argue this, but like I said before, it is the most debated topic in general medicine right now.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    There are very few (if any) medicines that "treat" the actual viral infections; at least the kind that you may be suffering from. They are more designed to treat the symptoms that are associated with a viral infection (congestion, cough, fever, etc.) until your immune system can fend off the virus by itself. The problems arise when you are given antibiotics to treat a viral infection because your immune system is diminished due to the medication and it is actually not "killing" the virus so your symptoms linger- usually until you're off the medication and your immune system has sufficiently recovered. Many can and will argue this, but like I said before, it is the most debated topic in general medicine right now.

I can understand that. It's weird though - in BOTH cases the antibiotics had an effect, but did not get rid of the problem completely. It seems to "linger" around. However, the good thing is that as of today my fever is gone.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• shawn474
    edited December 2007
    That' a start!!!! Maybe a repeat blood test to determine if your white blood cell count is getting better would be in order. Have they done a mono-spot test or a rapid strep test? Those may be in order as well considering the length of the problem and the severity of your symptoms..........
    Shawn
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    That' a start!!!! Maybe a repeat blood test to determine if your white blood cell count is getting better would be in order. Have they done a mono-spot test or a rapid strep test? Those may be in order as well considering the length of the problem and the severity of your symptoms..........

No, they haven't. However, after getting much rest, I think I am starting to feel better. The fever has gone, and I feel more "active."
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Still not feeling much better.

The doctor just called and said that I have strep throat along with sinusitis and pharyngitis, so I guess I'll be seeing the doctor again :(
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• shawn474
    edited December 2007
    I'd get tested for mono. Unfortunately sometimes strep and mono go hand in hand. While antibiotics do nothing for mono (it's a virus), it should clear up the strep. The only thing is you will still fell like shite for an extended period of time until your body can beat the mono. This could explain why you have been feeling under the weather for so long and sleeping an inordinate amount. Good luck.
    Shawn
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Did you die yet?

KIDDING, hope you feel better
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    I'd get tested for mono. Unfortunately sometimes strep and mono go hand in hand. While antibiotics do nothing for mono (it's a virus), it should clear up the strep. The only thing is you will still fell like shite for an extended period of time until your body can beat the mono. This could explain why you have been feeling under the weather for so long and sleeping an inordinate amount. Good luck.

Well, at least the antibiotics made me feel better and more "active." I still am geting 10-12 hours of sleep per day and don't feel so good though.

I am going to get tested again at the doctor's this weekend (that is when he's available).

Any other ideas what might be wrong?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1