4WD Advise Requested

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    irishaz wrote: »
    The Subaru Impreza is a great choice in my opinion. They are great vehicles, last forever, and get very good gas mileage.

25mpg is nice, but I wish they got even better gas mileage.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited November 2007
    +1 for Subaru. I had an Outback for a few years and it was outstanding in the snow. F1 is right though, once you hit the ice, all bets are off. Unless you have chains, you're probably heading for the ditch.

Who knows? Maybe someday "they" will make tires with studs that come out with the push of a button. :D
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • Sansui
    edited November 2007
    Call Martin or Sheila. Problem solved.:D
    Martin or Sheila who? :D

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited November 2007
    +1 to Audi. Loving mine so far. Can't wait for a good, fresh snowy day :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Sansui
    edited November 2007
    The Subaru Impreza is a great choice in my opinion. They are great vehicles, last forever, and get very good gas mileage.
    Looks like I'll have to check out Subaru. I would never have thought about them until I read the replies here.

I wonder why no one has mentioned Chevy, Toyota, Jeep, or Honda. What's up with that? Before asking here I'd heard that Toyota and Honda made real good ones too.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Sansui wrote: »
    Wouldn't 0% financing mean a loan where the dealer makes no money other than just the sale of the car? If so I'm guessing there's not many dealers that do that.
    Yes, for the first question. Only the finance department looses the big bucks [separate department from the sales floor].

Yes for the second question. Normally the dealers get a kick back [on top of the 3% holdback] and the 0% is an option usually backed by the manufacturer. During this time of year should be a good time to find it. However, keep in mind the dealerships will try to push you into a car that has been on the lot a while, new but maybe a year old [prior year's model] or even a demonstrator model. Keep insisting you want new, or a SEVERE discount off the old inventory.

If the salesman tells you it's only good for last year's model, turn and walk away to another dealership and insist that you are looking for THIS year's model only and nothing less....saying NOTHING about financing. Once the deal for numbers on the purchase of the car you choose have been met, hit them up then and only then [NOT BEFORE] that you want the 0% financing for that car.

It may take some time and frustration, but look at it this way. If you consider it a part time job, with the $$$ you will save and not have to earn, if you will, it could put multiple thousands back into your pocket through the $$$ that you don't give to the dealership. You have them by the balls since you have cash, not the other way around. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Looks like I'll have to check out Subaru. I would never have thought about them until I read the replies here.

I wonder why no one has mentioned Chevy, Toyota, Jeep, or Honda. What's up with that? Before asking here I'd heard that Toyota and Honda made real good ones too.

I can't speak to the Honda and Toyota offerings, but I'm not aware of any AWD vehicles from Chevy. They of course have 4WD equipped vehicle, but you can forget gas mileage with them. Basically the same thing with Jeep, I would say.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007

I was wondering that too, I asked about Jeep a while ago and it seems that (from what I learneed here) although Jeeps are great vehicles, they are better suited for off-road use and overkill for daily driving.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited November 2007
    I drive a Honda CRV and it's been fantastic. Does great in snow, loads of room, good gas mileage and good acceleration. It's really worth considering.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    I was out driving several of Ford's newer lineup yesterday and I was most impressed with the Fusion AWD V6 SEL. It was very quiet, had more than enough power, and handles well byond my expectations. While the new Taurus AWD SEL I drove was very nice, too, I thought the Fusion felt a tad more refined. Had all the amenities and a kick **** factory stereo. I'd seriously consider it if I were in the market for that type of auto.

With that said, I'd love an Audi S6.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I was wondering that too, I asked about Jeep a while ago and it seems that (from what I learneed here) although Jeeps are great vehicles, they are better suited for off-road use and overkill for daily driving.

Nobody does 4WD better than Jeep. And, what is wrong with overkill?
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »

That's what a lot of Polkies said in my "Jeeps" thread...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    Call Martin or Sheila. Problem solved.:D

Scott:

Thanks bud, best joke I've heard in a while. I needed a laugh! :D

John
    No excuses!
  • Sansui
    edited November 2007
    Right now the problem I see with Subaru is that none of them have a ground clearance of 8.7". What if we get a 10" to 12" like we've had before?

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Yes, for the first question. Only the finance department looses the big bucks [separate department from the sales floor].
    (etc.)
    It may take some time and frustration, but look at it this way. If you consider it a part time job, with the $$$ you will save and not have to earn, if you will, it could put multiple thousands back into your pocket through the $$$ that you don't give to the dealership. You have them by the balls since you have cash, not the other way around. ;)
    Thank you for your entire reply. It IS appreciated! I didn't even think of the points/suggestions you mentioned.

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I can't speak to the Honda and Toyota offerings, but I'm not aware of any AWD vehicles from Chevy. They of course have 4WD equipped vehicle, but you can forget gas mileage with them. Basically the same thing with Jeep, I would say.
    In regards to Chevy, I just figured they had a AWD. Thanks for the info on 4WDs and gas mileage too.

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    I drive a Honda CRV and it's been fantastic. Does great in snow, loads of room, good gas mileage and good acceleration. It's really worth considering.
    Ground clearance is only 7.3" so how does it handle 10" to 12" snows? I'm "tending" towards a 6 cyl. engine right now.

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Scott:
    Thanks bud, best joke I've heard in a while. I needed a laugh! :D
    John
    I laughed harder when I tried to call them! No answer. I guess they are trying to figure out how to tax us with the amount of snow each one of us will get when it comes. :D

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    I give up... What does steering wheels turns (lock to lock) mean? :confused:

I was told not to consider Ford because the bodies rust out to fast. I'm not looking to start a debate or a fight here but I am curious whether it's true or not.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Lock to lock for the steering wheel is how many times you have to physically turn the steering wheel to go from turned all the way right to all the way left (or, 'lock to lock').
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    I laughed harder when I tried to call them! No answer. I guess they are trying to figure out how to tax us with the amount of snow each one of us will get when it comes. :D

HA HA, Snow-Tax. I wouldn't bet against that! :D

Martin was probably too busy patting himself on the back for coming up with the Slots idea. :rolleyes:

Shelia is still trying to figure out how the hell she got elected. :p

Good luck with the vehicle purchase. I bought my Explorer in Feb '04 and have been hoping for a big snow ever since to go crunching through it in 4WD. Coming up for 4 years later and still waiting for the snow...
    No excuses!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    Wouldn't 0% financing mean a loan where the dealer makes no money other than just the sale of the car?

Actually, 0% financing is from the manufacturer (GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc). What they do is pay a flat-fee to the finance company to provide the 0% incentive to the customer. In all reality, its like an internal rebate to GMAC for servicing the loan.

GMAC wins big time. They get all the interest right up front in one big payment from GM. The GMAC's, Ford Credit, Chryseler Credit, are most profitable when financing at 0% - sort of like a big cash infusion from the OEM's.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    Zero % interest is in lieu of the rebates. Ford will give the rebates to Ford Motor Credit. Same with GM and GMAC....Chrysler with Chrysler credit. Unless you plan on keeping the car for the full contract, it doesn't always pay to give up, what can be up to $5k or more on certain models, rebates. If you decide to trade that car off in say...2 years, you'll owe quite a bit more than if you would have taken the cash back instead of the 0%.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Sansui
    edited November 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Lock to lock for the steering wheel is how many times you have to physically turn the steering wheel to go from turned all the way right to all the way left (or, 'lock to lock').
    Understood now, thanks!

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    HA HA, Snow-Tax. I wouldn't bet against that! :D

Oh great! I hope they don't read this forum. I might have just given them a new idea! :D
    Martin was probably too busy patting himself on the back for coming up with the Slots idea. :rolleyes:

Shelia is still trying to figure out how the hell she got elected. :p
    LOL, especially about Shelia. Not into slots but I agree with you. He's probably dislocated his shoulder by now. :D:D
    Good luck with the vehicle purchase. I bought my Explorer in Feb '04 and have been hoping for a big snow ever since to go crunching through it in 4WD. Coming up for 4 years later and still waiting for the snow...
    I'm never waiting for a big snow...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »

Nothing's wrong with overkill, that's why my '74 Land Cruiser continued to climb hills, slop thru mud and river ride long after the Jeep boys had to quit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nothing's wrong with overkill, that's why my '74 Land Cruiser continued to climb hills, slop thru mud and river ride long after the Jeep boys had to quit.
    I won't be telling that to my sister. She's getting a Jeep to replace her old one. I will, however, keep that in mind. :)

• apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited November 2007
    San, Here ia a forum with loads of info http://rav4world.com I have an 07 that I got early spring so not much info on how it is going to handle the snow. We had one small (about 3") of snow/slush that at one point had all the warning bells and lights go off, but it was nothing that I think deserved the AWD to kick in. What I can tell you is: the V6 has lots of good fun to drive/get you out of trouble power. Not race performance but you can merge into heavy traffic with ease. Not sure of the 4 cyl. performance wise. On all highway driving with 3 adults, baby, car seat, and luggage I have done 29 mpg. My daily driving gives me 23 - 25 mpg with the V6. I can also say if you do a lot of city driving the mpg will drop drastically with the 6. The 4 is only rated a little better in the mpg but should see the best city results. As far as ground clearance, you become the plow when it's over your bumper. As long as the snow is not to0 heavy so that it packs under you enough that you plane up on top of it and get hung with your tires off the ground. I have driven 1/2 ton 4 WD PU trucks with more ground clearance and had to plow snow a few times to get home. If I was home I probably would have stayed home. BTW the 4WD, AWD sometimes gets confused on these. You can lock it into 4WD up to about 25 mph. After that it will kick out and just be AWD controlled by the computer with the front wheels the prim. drive and when needed the rear wheels. I think it's a 60% front 40% rear power distribution. I have no big complaints with the car, it actually has lots more room than it looks like from the outside. The Sub. and Honda also deserve a look. Can't say as to the GM and Fords they were not out when I was looking. Just like with audio, decide what you MUST have then do the research, there's lots of info out there. You might also want to try Kelly Blue Book and Edmounds. What's the big deal with 4WD I thought when a couple inches of snow fell down that way everything shut down and there was no place to go even if you could get there. lol and good luck with your new car.
  • Sansui
    edited December 2007
    How has it done in a 10" snow? 4 cyl or 6 cyl?

With my 4 cyl. Cavalier, if I have four people in it, it doesn't have the power I feel safe with on a freeway if I need that extra speed all of a sudden.

• Sansui
    edited December 2007
    apphd wrote: »
    San, Here ia a forum with loads of info http://rav4world.com
    (etc.)
    Just like with audio, decide what you MUST have then do the research, there's lots of info out there. You might also want to try Kelly Blue Book and Edmounds. What's the big deal with 4WD I thought when a couple inches of snow fell down that way everything shut down and there was no place to go even if you could get there. lol and good luck with your new car.

Whew! Lots of info to understand here. Thanks. I'm doing a lot of "internet homework"/research on this! Part of that is asking question here. Due to new job responsibilities, the place I need to respond to are always open.

It's ground clearance is only 7.5". What's the highest amount of fresh falling snow (wet or dry) have you been able to "safely" handle it in?

So far the 4Runner SR5 line is what I'm looking for. Thanks to our new governor our "new car tax" will go up Jan 1st. New cars will cost $700.00 to $900.00 more than they will Dec. 31st. I hope I can have the money in place by then to get whatever I'm going to end up with.