4WD Advise Requested

Sansui
Sansui Posts: 372
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Before the first of the year I'm going to get a four wheel drive SUV type of car. The problem is that I don't know anything about them. I've just started doing my homework and realized that the Toyota Rav4 is about the size and price range I'm interested in. I'm not to "hot" on whatever Ford is selling because of the recent "tire track record".

With the snows coming in January I don't want to be in a position where my Cavalier can't get me where I might need to go. I also feel that I'll be safer driving in snow/ice type of weather. I will not be "climbing mountains" or anything like that with this car, road driving only.

I'm looking for info on makes/models and what's good or bad about those models.

Would it be better for me to just write a check for it or get a loan and make payments?

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated!
Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
Post edited by Sansui on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Sansui,

I drove the Ford Edge AWD about two weeks ago as a loaner car while my truck was in for service and I thought it was a nice and suprisingly sporty vehicle.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I am in the same situation. Looking for some type of 4WD car just for when it snows here.

Check out this thread:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59303&highlight=Jeeps
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    If you are looking for an AWD car.....check out the Infiniti g35x, I drove mine through last winter with no issues.....it has the sportronic transmission that allows you shift without a clutch, snow mode, and a variable control differential for situations. I never had a problem and I commute 1 hour each way to work.

You can probably pick up a nice one off a lease in the 20's range. Brand new they are about 35 out the door.

Also, if that is too pricey, look into the Ford Fusion(i think thats it) AWD.....someone I know just got one, great car for the money and it fits your need for AWD.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    Ford fixed it's(Firestone's) "tire issue" many years ago. Their Fusion and new Taurus AWDs are excellent vehicles.

When it comes to "All-Wheel Drive" cars, it's really hard to overlook Subaru and Audi. Infiniti makes a good awd system, too.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »

When it comes to "All-Wheel Drive" cars, it's really hard to overlook Subaru and Audi. Infiniti makes a good awd system, too.

Totally forgot about those 2. Great cars. I think bobman has a Subaru Forester or Outback, not sure which. Might want to talk to him, I'm pretty sure he like it though.

As for the Audi, I had the opportunity to drive a pretty modified 2003 Audi S4 2 winters ago and all I can say is wow, that car is responsive. I would have bought one if I could afford the repairs and maintenance on it.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    IMO, Subaru is overlooked WAAAAAY too often. They make rock solid cars and are a blast to drive. I'd just as soon own a Subaru as any other Japanese or Asian made car out there.

Audi, on the other hand, are lovely vehicles, with arguably the finest interiors ever. An S6 is one of my faves. Their awd system is "almost" flawless.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    ND13 wrote: »
    IMO, Subaru is overlooked WAAAAAY too often. They make rock solid cars and are a blast to drive. I'd just as soon own a Subaru as any other Japanese or Asian made car out there.

Audi, on the other hand, are lovely vehicles, with arguably the finest interiors ever. An S6 is one of my faves. Their awd system is "almost" flawless.

The reason Subaru gets overlooked is prior to the WRX hype people viewed Subaru has having a really bad reputation. Remember the ones from the early 90's? Those were brutal, all sorts of problems. Subaru really fixed up their act, used the WRC Rally's as marketing advantages and now they are with the rest of the pack.

And yes, I totally agree, Audi has the one of the nicest interiors I've ever been in.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited November 2007
    With the snows coming in January I don't want to be in a position where my Cavalier can't get me where I might need to go. I also feel that I'll be safer driving in snow/ice type of weather. I will not be "climbing mountains" or anything like that with this car, road driving only.

Just a few thoughts from someone with a lot of on road/off road 4WD experience. It doesn't snow that much in the Baltimore area and when it does, the plows get the roads cleaned off PDQ. If it's iced up out there, 4WD offers zero advantage. 4WD vehicles handle differently than 2WD cars and an inexperienced driver can get into trouble very quickly. It doesn't matter what you are driving, they all stop the same. Let me repeat that, they all stop the same.

In your case, I think an AWD car makes more sense. It'll get you out of the neighborhood before the plows come thru, handles like a regular car and has a low center of gravity making it safer, which seems to be a concern of yours. Of course, they all stop the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2007
    We currently have a Nissan Xtrail, it's great but ...the best thing for winter/snow are proper tires, of which I am going to buy this weekend.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/071122/canada/canada_weather_storm

The pic is what I see from my desk..No I didn't take it.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    Sansui wrote: »
    I'm not to "hot" on whatever Ford is selling because of the recent "tire track record".

Without getting into a Ford... debate you wouldn't by a Ford because of a bad line of Firestone tires that came out like 6 years ago:confused:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2007
    In the 'burbs and city you really don't *need* a 4WD, it's bit better for accelerating, but I'll repeat and paraphrase what F1Nut said - it's not 4WStop.
  • ben62670
    edited November 2007
    I have used 4WD a lot. It absolutely helps stop in very slippery conditions. If your front, and rear tires are tied together (4WD) it works for deceleration to. It does not mean drive like an idiot, but your fronts won't lock up before your rears, and your rears won't lock up before your front's. Try descending a steep slippery hill just once in 4WD, and then try it in 2WD you will see what I mean.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Willow
    edited November 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    In the 'burbs and city you really don't *need* a 4WD, it's bit better for accelerating, but I'll repeat and paraphrase what F1Nut said - it's not 4WStop.

And that is what bother me the most, you see these people speeding along in their Escalades thinking nothing can get in their way then slam on the breaks...you have how many more tons to stop...(nothing against caddy, just first name that came to mind)
  • ben62670
    edited November 2007
    Turning those big beast in 4WD can be tricky too. Just cause you can take off quicker, and stop quicker doesn't mean they can change direction quicker. Sometimes its like a jetski... a little gas can help in deeper snow. I did a lot of driving up in New England in feet of snow.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Of course, they all stop the same.

Jesse has to be one who drives on ice / snow with a commit like that. I myself don't miss those day's too much, but I'm always amazed on how people who never driven over ice / snow drive when it starts to rain. :rolleyes: :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    petrym wrote: »

Sorry for the dumb post, but does this mean a 4WD vehicle's ability to stop is very similar to that of a 2WD, but the main advantage of a 4WD is to "get going" in slippery situations, such as deep snow?

In NY you see a lot of people with RWD cars stuck in deep snow. :(
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Willow
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb post, but does this mean a 4WD vehicle's ability to stop is very similar to that of a 2WD, but the main advantage of a 4WD is to "get going" in slippery situations, such as deep snow?QUOTE]

Yes, it doesn't help to stop, it's to get you going.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    I bought my wife a subaru outback and she absolutely loves it. I use it often when it snows / ices as I have a 55 mile commute and have never had a problem with it. We love driving it - as a dialy driver and as an AWD when it is needed.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    Yes, it doesn't help to stop, it's to get you going.

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for though, sometimes when you are stuck in deep snow with a 2WD vehicle, you won't get anywhere.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• F1nut
    edited November 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have used 4WD a lot. It absolutely helps stop in very slippery conditions. If your front, and rear tires are tied together (4WD) it works for deceleration to. It does not mean drive like an idiot, but your fronts won't lock up before your rears, and your rears won't lock up before your front's. Try descending a steep slippery hill just once in 4WD, and then try it in 2WD you will see what I mean.

I know what you're trying to say and agree IF you're just gearing down, but once you hit the brakes, all bets are off. The brakes can and will lock up regardless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I know what you're trying to say and agree IF you're just gearing down, but once you hit the brakes, all bets are off. The brakes can and will lock up regardless.

Is this with a manual transmission?

Or do you just put your automatic gearbox in "2" or "L"? How much does that help on a slippery surface?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Would it be better for me to just write a check for it or get a loan and make payments?
    Hi Sansui, to answer this question see if you can get zero percent financing. Take the $$$ you were going to spend paying cash for the vehicle and wrap it up into a high yield CD, savings account or whatever the best option for you may be which might include keeping the dough where it is.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited November 2007
    Is this with a manual transmission?
    Autos gear down all by themselves or you can manually downshift, if so inclined.
    Or do you just put your automatic gearbox in "2" or "L"? How much does that help on a slippery surface?

For getting going, a lower gear ratio will provide more torque and prevent you jumping into a higher gear, thereby helping to prevent wheel spin. For stopping, by dropping into a lower gear you are limiting the rpm's and using the engine as a braking device, in effect, slowing down the vehicle without using the brakes.

President of Club Polk

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    In your case, I think an AWD car makes more sense. It'll get you out of the neighborhood before the plows come thru, handles like a regular car and has a low center of gravity making it safer, which seems to be a concern of yours. Of course, they all stop the same.

Shows how much I know about these "new" type of cars. Just before reading this thread I tried to edit "4WD Advise" to AWD Advise" and this program only allows me to edit the message, not the title.

With my changed job responsibilities I may have to "roll" regardless of what back street conditions are. Many times it seems Balto. City forgets our residential street exists. :(

• Sansui
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hi Sansui, to answer this question see if you can get zero percent financing. Take the $$$ you were going to spend paying cash for the vehicle and wrap it up into a high yield CD, savings account or whatever the best option for you may be which might include keeping the dough where it is.

You're talking a foreign language to me about this financial stuff. I'll run this by my tax now (now financial adviser) next week.

Wouldn't 0% financing mean a loan where the dealer makes no money other than just the sale of the car? If so I'm guessing there's not many dealers that do that.

So much to learn, so little time...

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Many times it seems Balto. City forgets our residential street exists. :(

Call Martin or Sheila. Problem solved.:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Autos gear down all by themselves or you can manually downshift, if so inclined.

For getting going, a lower gear ratio will provide more torque and prevent you jumping into a higher gear, thereby helping to prevent wheel spin. For stopping, by dropping into a lower gear you are limiting the rpm's and using the engine as a braking device, in effect, slowing down the vehicle without using the brakes.

OK, I see. :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited November 2007
    +1 for Subaru. I had an Outback for a few years and it was outstanding in the snow. F1 is right though, once you hit the ice, all bets are off. Unless you have chains, you're probably heading for the ditch.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    irishaz wrote: »
    +1 for Subaru. I had an Outback for a few years and it was outstanding in the snow. F1 is right though, once you hit the ice, all bets are off. Unless you have chains, you're probably heading for the ditch.

Would the Subaru Impreza AWD be a good choice too?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited November 2007
    The Subaru Impreza is a great choice in my opinion. They are great vehicles, last forever, and get very good gas mileage.